Draft grades on Charlton to Dallas **merged**

HellCrowe

Reaction score
49ers R. Foster might need a 2nd surgery

Michael Lombardi ✔ @mlombardiNFL
Many teams do, According to USA Today's Tom Pelissero, teams believe 49ers R Foster will require a 2nd surgery to repair a torn rotator cuff

Their version of our Jaylon. Red shirt year.

CaptainCreed

Reaction score
I initially was not ecstatic about Taco. Seemed like a LDE starter, can play the run, ok pass rusher. Though most of the other guys available were questionable scheme fits, smaller 3-4 OLBs. Seems like Taco has very similar measurables to Carlos Dunlap, scary similar. I'll take that at 28 and run. We prob also highly valued Harbaugh's expectation of the guy's translation's to the NFL.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/taco-charlton?id=2557882

http://nflcombineresults.com/playerpage.php?i=8481

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
“Obviously, the right end position is a key spot,” said Cowboys executive vice president Stephen Jones. “We were just talking about that – that’s where Taco starts, at that right side.”

That’s an interesting piece of the puzzle. The Cowboys covet right-side pass rushers, so it’s important to note that they plan to start Charlton off in that spot. But they also employ a pair of experienced right-side rushers in DeMarcus Lawrence and Benson Mayowa.

There’s also Charles Tapper, who is fit for duty after missing his rookie season with a back injury. When the Cowboys drafted Tapper one year ago, they raved about his speed being an asset on the right side.

Obviously, this creates a bit of a logjam – which is a problem the Cowboys are thrilled to have.

“We’ve got three or four other guys that would like to play that right side too,” Jones said. “Whoever comes out, we’ll start to move them to the left and move the under-tackles out to the left that don’t fit just right there.”

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/2...-taco-charlton-affects-cowboys-dl-depth-chart

-

The problem now is we have too many right DEs. :flagwave:

Verdict

Reaction score
I do think he will be solid for us I also agree that it will be a whole lot easier to grab him and find a DB later than vice versa quality wise. We were picking 28. Few more picks back and it would of been a second rounder. I like the pick. From here on out though, we need quality dbs and defensive help in general

The percentage of players who bust when they are taken in the second round is higher than it is for first round players as a general rule. Taco carried a second round grade, or later. I don't like the reach.

We could have selected a CB who carried a first round grade and then selected a player later with the grade that matched draft position or passed on the position. I know we needed a DE but what does it say that our board, which probably already included a bias toward DE had him with a sub first round grade?

Everyone seems to love the pick here. But how will you like the pick if he busts, and the player we had the higher grade on lights the world on fire? Will it still have been a good pick?

It may turn out to be wonderful, but I really don't like the draft process on this pick. I hate the process they went through to get him. I am not against the player per se. But I am lukewarm on the pick.

I think he will be a good player at left DE. Think Tapper will be the right end this year. I don't see us taking another DE in this draft.

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Tanier's grade: C+

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2706180-nfl-draft-2017-round-1-grades-for-every-pick

1. Strengths: Length, torque, athletic potential and upside.

Weaknesses: Run defense, array of moves, consistency off the line.

Scouts and coaches look at Taco Charlton and see a tall, long-armed, athletic pass-rusher who can be sculpted like marble into the ultimate defensive weapon as soon as he: A) Develops a deeper, more refined set of pass-rushing moves; B) figures out how to position himself and use leverage to his advantage in the running game; and C) develops more all-around consistency and a better approach against elite blockers.

I look at Charlton and see the kind of pet-project edge-rusher teams frequently whiff on, a guy whose sack production came when Michigan schemed to free him up against overmatched blockers and a solid athlete who will always get plowed under on running plays or chicken-fight with the left tackle if his first move gets stymied.

Coaches and scouts know more than I do, of course. But I have been watching them draft Barkevious Mingo, Jarvis Jones, Vernon Gholston, Aaron Maybin and Dion Jordan types for a long time, and Charlton makes me really, really nervous.

Grade: C+

Techsass

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Some do some don't. None of us know one way or the other. I hope he turns out to be dominant. I am personally skeptical of the pick but am willing to give it time to tell.

I really think it was a reach based on need which is usually a bad move. The worst part about it that the Cowboys admitted that they didnt stick to their draft board. There is no point in creating a draft board if you are going to freelance on draft day.

I hope they end up with the player that passed on in the first round at #60.
It did look a little chaotic, but I thought they were about the quickest all night to pull the trigger. So did Atlanta know what we were going to do?

Verdict

Reaction score
“Obviously, the right end position is a key spot,” said Cowboys executive vice president Stephen Jones. “We were just talking about that – that’s where Taco starts, at that right side.”

That’s an interesting piece of the puzzle. The Cowboys covet right-side pass rushers, so it’s important to note that they plan to start Charlton off in that spot. But they also employ a pair of experienced right-side rushers in DeMarcus Lawrence and Benson Mayowa.

There’s also Charles Tapper, who is fit for duty after missing his rookie season with a back injury. When the Cowboys drafted Tapper one year ago, they raved about his speed being an asset on the right side.

Obviously, this creates a bit of a logjam – which is a problem the Cowboys are thrilled to have.

“We’ve got three or four other guys that would like to play that right side too,” Jones said. “Whoever comes out, we’ll start to move them to the left and move the under-tackles out to the left that don’t fit just right there.”

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/2...-taco-charlton-affects-cowboys-dl-depth-chart

-

The problem now is we have too many right DEs. :flagwave:

It is comical. I think we have MAYBE Tapper as a natural right end. None of the others are really suited to be right ends.

Just because we play a player at a position doesn't mean he is a good fit for the position.

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
FO's "SackSEER" system really doesn't like Taco, because he was a one-hit wonder and had poor combine numbers.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/nfl-draft/2017/sackseer-2017

Taco Charlton, Michigan
SackSEER Projection: 20.8 Sacks Through Year 5
SackSEER Rating: 47.3%

Taco Charlton is widely recognized as a "one-hit-wonder" who was dominant for the Michigan Wolverines in his senior season, but could barely crack the lineup during the first three seasons of his college career. Scouts are likely intrigued by the prospect of combining Charlton's ideal size (6-foot-6, 273 pounds) with the pass-rushing production he displayed as a senior.

SackSEER is highly skeptical of players who are one-hit wonders, especially those who break out during their senior seasons. College football players are more experienced and developed as seniors than at any point in their careers, and are often lined up against less experienced and developed sophomores and juniors. This advantage is completely reversed when those senior players are drafted and become NFL rookies. Indeed, history suggests that many of the players who dramatically overperform as seniors may have simply had a lucky season or are naturally inconsistent -- neither of which bodes well for Charlton's prospects.

Charlton's case is eerily similar to 2003 Bears first-round pick Michael Haynes, who was an even more extreme example of a late bloomer. Haynes had only four sacks as a junior player, but recorded an amazing 15 sacks as a senior. Haynes tipped the scales at 281 pounds, teasing scouts with his potential to combine great pass-rushing with ideal run-stopping size. However, Haynes also fared poorly in pre-draft workouts. Haynes ran the 40-yard dash in 4.87 seconds, recorded a below-average 30.5-inch vertical leap, and broad-jumped only 9 feet, 1 inch. Given Haynes' pedestrian first three seasons, and a combine performance that corroborated the less impressive section of his career, scouts should have realized that Haynes was simply not a first-round talent.

Similarly, Charlton ran the 40-yard dash in 4.92 seconds, even slower than Haynes. Charlton performed better than Haynes on the vertical leap and the broad jump, but he was still below average on both for a drafted edge rusher, let alone a possible first-round pick. To top it off, Charlton recorded only two passes defensed while at Michigan. Considering all of the evidence, Charlton provides several pieces of evidence suggesting that he may be a bust (his freshman season, his sophomore season, his junior season, his poor combine performance, and his poor passes defensed rate) and only one piece of evidence that he may be a success (a strong breakout senior season).

Other prospects have certainly overcome these challenges before. Tamba Hali in particular had a late breakout season and below-average workout numbers, yet became a star. However, for every Hali there are three players like Michael Haynes, making Charlton an extremely risky play in the first round.

Verdict

Reaction score
It did look a little chaotic, but I thought they were about the quickest all night to pull the trigger. So did Atlanta know what we were going to do?

I think Atlanta was pretty sure we were taking the same player they were and wanted to avoid that chance so they pulled the trigger. I think Atlanta would have been better suited staying put.

If we wanted Tak, I am glad we missed on him. He seems very mentally unstable.

Reaction score
I will say this, from listening to Takk in the post draft selection interview he is an absolute nut job. Taco sounds a lot more respectful with a good coachable personality. So at least that is a plus.
I wanted Takk, but you are right. Takk comes from the hood in Oakland and had an unstable childhood. While that obviously lit a fire in him to push to succeed, it also comes with a downside sometimes. We've seen instances where money + hood friends = bad decisions. Whereas, Taco is from a stable family in suburban Columbus, Ohio. I think the first round is about minimizing strike outs, not hitting home runs. And McClay has drafted that way with Fred, Martin, etc.

Sydla

Reaction score
Tanier's grade: C+

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2706180-nfl-draft-2017-round-1-grades-for-every-pick

1. Strengths: Length, torque, athletic potential and upside.

Weaknesses: Run defense, array of moves, consistency off the line.

Scouts and coaches look at Taco Charlton and see a tall, long-armed, athletic pass-rusher who can be sculpted like marble into the ultimate defensive weapon as soon as he: A) Develops a deeper, more refined set of pass-rushing moves; B) figures out how to position himself and use leverage to his advantage in the running game; and C) develops more all-around consistency and a better approach against elite blockers.

I look at Charlton and see the kind of pet-project edge-rusher teams frequently whiff on, a guy whose sack production came when Michigan schemed to free him up against overmatched blockers and a solid athlete who will always get plowed under on running plays or chicken-fight with the left tackle if his first move gets stymied.

Coaches and scouts know more than I do, of course. But I have been watching them draft Barkevious Mingo, Jarvis Jones, Vernon Gholston, Aaron Maybin and Dion Jordan types for a long time, and Charlton makes me really, really nervous.

Grade: C+

Tanier has always had an issue with Jones it seems. What you didn't link was his little dig at Jones at the end of that analysis. He gave the Cowboys a C for Elliott last year.

Tanier also gave them a C for for Maliek Collins saying that he was a project and wouldn't be a performer for the Cowboys in 2016 and that the Cowboys needed to draft players to help them in 2016.

And a C for Brown in the 6th saying he wouldn't be help for the Cowboys in 2016.

LOL. Clown.

Although in fairness, he did give them an A- for Prescott.

Last edited:

Techsass

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You're not alone on that. I've seen a few threads dogging the guy.

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Tanier has always had an issue with Jones it seems. What you didn't link was his little dig at Jones at the end of that analysis. He gave the Cowboys a C for Elliott last year.

Tanier also gave them a C for for Maliek Collins saying that he was a project and wouldn't be a performer for the Cowboys in 2016 and that the Cowboys needed to draft players to help them in 2016.

LOL. Clown.
I agree with this (well, not the "clown" part). Tanier is the best NFL writer out there, but his anti-Cowboys and particularly anti-Jones bias does get in the way.

kiheikiwi

Maui No Ka Oi
Reaction score
I have stayed out of all the moaning and *****ing so far, let it seep in a-bit over night.. Right when we made the pick I thought - meh, solid not earth shattering. And really, what do you expect at # 28 ?
I am on board with this pick, I will defer to McClay and Co. I will wait to see how Marrinelli coaches him and how he learns as he gets his butt handed to him by Smith in practice.
This morning I see Taco as a solid addition to the Dline, and a good building block for the future. When you are a division champ and drafting at the bottom of every round - you cannot ask for much more.
Good start, not great - but good. Lets see how they do the rest of the way forward.
So, welcome mister Charlton - meet your new teacher, mister Smith.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The odd thing is we drafted a defensive player who comes with an already established nickname.

You have to wonder if Marinelli's long for the league.