Draft Needs

Croomraider

Reaction score
The instant gratification expected from rookies never surprises me any more.
I mean 1st round picks should be plug and play. Schoonmaker might be good in the distant future, it
took Ferg a long time to develop and same with Schultz, I'll give you that. However, hard to be too optimistic when
we took Bossman Fat in the 2nd round, are we still waiting on his development?

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I mean 1st round picks should be plug and play.
Maybe if they are early. Mazi was a late 1st and Cowboys didn't expect him to play out of the gate.

Yet fans think he is a bust because he isn't playing at App-Pro level yet. Unreasonable expectations.

Go back and revisit all the first round picks. You might be surprised at what you find.

Malhavoc

Reaction score
Maybe if they are early. Mazi was a late 1st and Cowboys didn't expect him to play out of the gate.

Yet fans think he is a bust because he isn't playing at App-Pro level yet. Unreasonable expectations.

Go back and revisit all the first round picks. You might be surprised at what you find.
Yeah.. The expectations are not at all realistic. You don’t get Micah, Cedee, or even a Tyler Smith kind of home runs every year. Graham Barton from Kentucky is a guy that‘s high on my list. A lot of folks think his best position may be Center. But he could probably play every position on the line.

bleachedwheat

Reaction score
Yeah.. The expectations are not at all realistic. You don’t get Micah, Cedee, or even a Tyler Smith kind of home runs every year. Graham Barton from Kentucky is a guy that‘s high on my list. A lot of folks think his best position may be Center. But he could probably play every position on the line.
He plays for Duke youngblood. I concur, he would be a solid pick in the first; if he was still there.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
I mean 1st round picks should be plug and play. Schoonmaker might be good in the distant future, it
took Ferg a long time to develop and same with Schultz, I'll give you that. However, hard to be too optimistic when
Not this year. There was something like 12 legit first-round talents.

Ferg is in his second year. It hasn't taken him any time to develop at all - it doesn't for TEs. Other than the special few, they're all just a product of the offense around them. It's not hard to catch 60 balls in that environment.

People need to understand that Mazi and Schoon were both taken two rounds too early because of the overall lack of depth in the class.

LonnieElam

Reaction score
This may be a hot take, but I think if there's a decent QB there in the first round, you take him. I know the chances of that are small, considering we'll be drafting in the bottom 10 more than likely, but there's no reason NOT to make that move.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This may be a hot take, but I think if there's a decent QB there in the first round, you take him. I know the chances of that are small, considering we'll be drafting in the bottom 10 more than likely, but there's no reason NOT to make that move.
I don't mind the Cowboys doing that. But, they better do their homework before hand.

Also don't forget they have used a 4th next year on a QB already.

Beaker42

Reaction score
I would draft offensive linemen in each of the first three rounds, with an OT in round 1, a road-grader in 2nd round and a center with guard-flex in the third round.
The Boys need power on the OL to open up the running lanes and younger they must get.
Can’t do that. We have Ball who was playing well before he was injured and Bass. We also have Asim Richards who is going to be a stud.

We need RB, LB and CB in 1-3 then BPA after.

Beaker42

Reaction score
Huh?? KJ’s been gone for months.

Mr_437

Reaction score
I like the nickel CB from Michigan #0.
Dallas needs a NCB for '24 season.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
DL absolutely should be, especially edge.

Fowler and Armstrong are both FAs after this year. DLaw will be 32 and in his last year in 2024 - may be a cap casualty because he has a $20m+ cap hit. Williams and Micah isn't enough, and this is a class with a bunch of edge projects.

They should come out of rounds 1-2 with a C/OT and a DE.
What do you think of Van Pran at OC?

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Can’t do that. We have Ball who was playing well before he was injured and Bass. We also have Asim Richards who is going to be a stud.

We need RB, LB and CB in 1-3 then BPA after.
Yep! Premium picks need to be at CB, DL (Hankins only signed a one year deal) and RB.

LB? I'd wait until day 3. The Cowboys don't use but 2 LB's and with Overshown coming back we may just need some depth.

Of course all of this could change depending on FA.

Mr_437

Reaction score
Yep! Premium picks need to be at CB, DL (Hankins only signed a one year deal) and RB.

LB? I'd wait until day 3. The Cowboys don't use but 2 LB's and with Overshown coming back we may just need some depth.

Of course all of this could change depending on FA.
You good with the OL?

Mr_437

Reaction score
After his second pick of the game...I'll say it again, I want this NCB from Michigan!!!

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You good with the OL?
Mostly. Richards could start at LOT. I think they bring Badass back. Steele will be better a year removed from ACL. The team likes Ball and Edoga a lot. Waletzko will be in year 3. In other words, I don't see a premium pick starting any time soon. So a day 3 and FA addition could be all we see next year.

StuckMojo

Reaction score
I would like to see us get better/stronger at center. Also would like a safety, mlb, cb, rb