Draft priorities getting clearer

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Not all the dominoes have fallen, but we are getting some clarity.

I've done posts in the past showing a clear correlation between where we have sunk assets in free agency/trades and the positions we pick early (rounds 1-4) in the past.

We can expect that CB, WR, and RB will be three of our first four selections in the upcoming draft. The 4th likely option is TE given the amount of formal interviews we've had with TE prospects.
OL is got to be in the 1st 3 rounds.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
OL is got to be in the 1st 3 rounds.
It might, they just haven't sunk a single large asset whether through trade, extension, or free agent signing into OL all offseason. Only thing they have done is let sign a backup IOL to a minimum contract.

But their draft visits would indicate they might be bucking their own trend.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
We had a good passing catching TE already. We need a great all around TE that can stretch the field. Mayer is the guy. Most experts agree on this. Kincaid is an overblown WR that has poor yac from what I can see.
I don’t know why you keep on saying Mayer is the stretch the field TE, thats’s Kincaid. Mayer is the more old schooled TE, where Kincaid is a modern day one. Both are legitimate prospects, question is what type they prefer, remember this is MM’s scheme now not the one we have seen the last several years.

cnuball21

Reaction score
I don’t know why you keep on saying Mayer is the stretch the field TE, thats’s Kincaid. Mayer is the more old schooled TE, where Kincaid is a modern day one. Both are legitimate prospects, question is what type they prefer, remember this is MM’s scheme now not the one we have seen the last several years.
Kincaid led the NCAA in YAC and YP / Route Run for TEs.

Someone just posted this so it’s Kincaid by a landslide.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Kincaid led the NCAA in YAC and YP / Route Run for TEs.

Someone just posted this so it’s Kincaid by a landslide.
Both Mayer/Kincaid are excellent, legit 1st rd players. It’s just the matter of what type you want. Think moving to the wco, Kincaid would be the better fit, now If they want to become more first, Mayer would be better in-line, but we already have Ferguson who is more of a blocker then a receiver at this juncture

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
mayer is like Gronk. Give me that all day long. Kincaid is a glorified WR. Give me the guy that improves the run game as much as the pass game.

NotForLong

Reaction score
And there are none in this draft. And I disagree anyway. We need a solid TE and 3 good WRs to make this passing O a strength again. Thing is, at least one of them has to be a route running fiend, the type that we do not have on the roster at present.
:huh:. . . Cooks says hi

baltcowboy

Reaction score
This thread is so funny. Some of you guys actually believe Ferguson would be a top 10 tight end in this class. I am not sure if he would be top 15.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
mayer is like Gronk. Give me that all day long. Kincaid is a glorified WR. Give me the guy that improves the run game as much as the pass game.
Mayer is definitely more balanced, but he isn't an elite athlete, Gronk isn't a good comparison. I have heard the comparison of Baltimore's Mark Andrews. Kincaid is a modern day, mismatch TE like a Ertz, Kelce. Neither are considered strong blockers, but are terrific in the passing game.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
This thread is so funny. Some of you guys actually believe Ferguson would be a top 10 tight end in this class. I am not sure if he would be top 15.
Ferguson has the potential to be a little better then Shultz as he is far better as a blocker. They are more average then anything else. Why not add a legitimate weapon to the position and force teams to matchup.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Ferguson has the potential to be a little better then Shultz as he is far better as a blocker. They are more average then anything else. Why not add a legitimate weapon to the position and force teams to matchup.
Let me say this I like Ferguson and Hendershot. Good solid JAGs but if we can upgrade the tight end position we should. I would stay away from Kincaid because he is just a big receiver in a tight ends body. Mayer and Washington are the ones for me.

NotForLong

Reaction score
Mayer is the All around better TE which would Be very beneficial to the Run Game . . . But Kincaid would give Dak a weapon He has never had before . . . A bonafide Weapon wrecking Havoc in the Middle of the Field

I am not saying Mayer is a slouch and I would prefer Mayer but boy it would be exciting have Kincaid on the team

NotForLong

Reaction score
Let me say this I like Ferguson and Hendershot. Good solid JAGs but if we can upgrade the tight end position we should. I would stay away from Kincaid because he is just a big receiver in a tight ends body. Mayer and Washington are the ones for me.
You say that like it is a bad thing. . . If they Draft Kincaid and Add the kid from Purdue late they will be set

Kincaid is very Dak friendly

baltcowboy

Reaction score
You say that like it is a bad thing. . . If they Draft Kincaid and Add the kid from Purdue late they will be set

Kincaid is very Dak friendly
I am more traditional. Offenses put more pressure on the defense when they don’t know what is coming. Ferguson is a solid all down tight end. I would like to upgrade him with a better version.

NotForLong

Reaction score
I am more traditional. Offenses put more pressure on the defense when they don’t know what is coming. Ferguson is a solid all down tight end. I would like to upgrade him with a better version.
I am with you . . . Kincaid is more of a Pipe Dream and Mayer will put in the grunt work

NotForLong

Reaction score
To be honest if Kincaid is what the draft community thinks he is, there is no way he makes it past the top 20.
You are 100% right . . . a TE is a young QBs best friend. A lot of teams picking ahead of us have Young QBs

If the team wanted an athletic TE they could grab Tucker Kraft or Jack Kuntz.

If the Cowboys take a TE within the 1st 4 Rds or not I still want Payne Durham on this team. He could fill the H Back role or act as a "Hybrid" Fullback. I posted an article pointing out that Big Mike loves the Full Back position in Running Situations

baltcowboy

Reaction score
You are 100% right . . . a TE is a young QBs best friend. A lot of teams picking ahead of us have Young QBs

If the team wanted an athletic TE they could grab Tucker Kraft or Jack Kuntz.

If the Cowboys take a TE within the 1st 4 Rds or not I still want Payne Durham on this team. He could fill the H Back role or act as a "Hybrid" Fullback. I posted an article pointing out that Big Mike loves the Full Back position in Running Situations
I think the Cowboys like Washington but I don’t think they would take him at 26. Talking Cowboys said that the tight ends coaches face lit up when they were discussing him.