Draft prospects the Boys have shown some interest in...

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
Every year at about this time, I like to start charting the draft prospects that the Boys have shown an interest in, either at the Senior Bowl, or at the Combine... later, I add players that the Boys send a scout or coach to their workouts... I try to only add players that I've read about in semi-reputable websites, not just players that some of us message board posters are speculating about...

Now, they don't draft exclusively from the list of players they've talked to in any offseason, but they do usually wind up drafting at least a couple-three of them, so the exercise is not entirely one of futility... I also figure that by examining which positions the Boys are talking to most often, we can get some idea of their draft priorities... so accordingly, here's the list of players I've read about them talking to thus far this year, along with my current projection of where that player might go in the draft...

Limas Sweed, WR, Texas... the Boys reportedly talked to him at the Senior Bowl, the only player I read about them talking to at those practices... I'm sure they talked to other players, but he's the only one I read about... Limas is a first or second round prospect at this point, depending largely on what kind of 40 times he runs, either at the Combine this week, or at the Horns' Pro Day workout in later March...

Early Doucet, WR, LSU... I see him as a second or third rounder at this point...

Mario Urrutia, WR, Louisville... a big receiver who for some reason seems to be slipping down the draft boards, I see him going in the 5th or 6th round...

Rashard Mendenhall, RB, Illinois... reminds me somewhat of Marion Barber, he's a likely first rounder... he might not even fall as far as the Cowboys' first, first round pick, at 22...

Chad Henne, QB, Michigan... a second or third round prospect... I'm surprised by the Cowboys' interest in him...

Red Bryant, DT, Texas A&M... another second or third round prospect...

Aqib Talib, CB, Kansas... a near-certain first rounder, who might not even still be on the board at pick 22...

That's 7 prospects that I've read the Cowboys have shown some interest in at this point... the list is heavy on offensive skill position players, which is no real surprise...

And now, I invite the readers to add to this list, keeping in mind that we're looking not for our posters' opinions of who the Boys should be talking to, but rather media reports of who the Boys HAVE talked to... I mean, feel free to express your opinion about such reports, but let's restrict ourselves to media reports of Cowboys interest in this thread, OK??

====
Update - we can add the names of DT DeMario Pressley, North Carolina State, and RB BenJarvus Green-Ellis, Ole Miss, to the list... and I'm not absolutely sure about this, but I think they also showed some interest in CB Charles Godfrey, Iowa... all of these would have been at the Senior Bowl...

====

Curtis Johnson-DE, Clark Atlanta
Tashard Choice - RB, Georgia Tech
Chris Ellis OLB Virginia Tech
Chris Johnson RB East Carolina

====

Joe Flacco, QB, Delaware

====

Cowboys | Team meets with Royal
Sat, 23 Feb 2008 00:23:14 -0800
Virginia Tech WR Eddie Royal said during his NFL Scouting Combine interview that he has met with the Dallas Cowboys.

Cowboys | Team talks with D. Thomas
Sat, 23 Feb 2008 00:18:58 -0800
Michigan State WR Devin Thomas said during his 2008 NFL Scouting Combine interview that he has talked with the Dallas Cowboys.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
If nothing else it suggests that the their vision of the team needs jive with what most of us have been saying, except it doesn't look like they've spoken to any LB's or OL according to this list, two positions I thought we'd look at.

PullMyFinger

Old Fashioned
Reaction score
Chad Henne, QB, Michigan... a second or third round prospect... I'm surprised by the Cowboys' interest in him...

Im not. We need a good young QB as a backup.

silverbear

Reaction score
TheCount;1965541 said:
If nothing else it suggests that the their vision of the team needs jive with what most of us have been saying, except it doesn't look like they've spoken to any LB's or OL according to this list, two positions I thought we'd look at.

It's early yet...

silverbear

Reaction score
masomenos85;1965543 said:
Good thread, thanks for compiling all that.

My pleasure... we can add the names of DT DeMario Pressley, North Carolina State, and RB BenJarvus Green-Ellis, Ole Miss, to the list... and I'm not absolutely sure about this, but I think they also showed some interest in CB Charles Godfrey, Iowa... all of these would have been at the Senior Bowl...

If anybody else remembers reading about the Boys showing interest in Godfrey, I'd appreciate hearing about it...

Pressley would be a third or fourth rounder on my draft board right now, Green-Ellis a sixth or seventh rounder, Godfrey another second or third rounder... I'd bet their interest in Pressley involves him moving to DE in their 3-4...

silverbear

Reaction score
PullMyFinger;1965542 said:
Im not. We need a good young QB as a backup.

Not as early in the draft as Henne will likely go... I see the Boys adding a veteran in free agency this year, then perhaps going with a later pick like Josh Johnson from San Diego...

masomenos

Less is more
Reaction score
silverbear;1965557 said:
My pleasure... we can add the names of DT DeMario Pressley, North Carolina State, and RB BenJarvus Green-Ellis, Ole Miss, to the list... and I'm not absolutely sure about this, but I think they also showed some interest in CB Charles Godfrey, Iowa... all of these would have been at the Senior Bowl...

If anybody else remembers reading about the Boys showing interest in Godfrey, I'd appreciate hearing about it...

Pressley would be a third or fourth rounder on my draft board right now, Green-Ellis a sixth or seventh rounder, Godfrey another second or third rounder... I'd bet their interest in Pressley involves him moving to DE in their 3-4...

You're probably right about Pressley being a candidate for a DE in our system, but I wouldn't be too thrilled about picking him up. He reminds me a lot of Marcus Spears, pretty good at taking on blocks and holding that point of attack but never really gets past that level and into the backfield. Now I realize 3-4 DEs aren't supposed to be in the backfield every play, but still it's nice to be able to fight through and tackle a RB every now and then.

Green-Ellis though, he's one to look out for.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
silverbear;1965536 said:
He will have a great weekend and should push his stock up to perhaps a early 2nd round grade. Even if he is there for our 2nd round pick, we might have bigger needs to address rather than draft a backup QB at that point. Some team is going to be happy they drafted him.

starfrombirth

Reaction score
If you guys could share where your getting all these tidbits about our Cowboys, I'd preciate' it! :D

silverbear

Reaction score
big dog cowboy;1965579 said:
He will have a great weekend and should push his stock up to perhaps a early 2nd round grade. Even if he is there for our 2nd round pick, we might have bigger needs to address rather than draft a backup QB at that point. Some team is going to be happy they drafted him.

Hey, I think Henne has game, I just don't understand why the Boys would be targeting him in this draft...

TVMan

Reaction score
Add to that list...

Curtis Johnson-DE, Clark Atlanta 6'4 225

starfrombirth

Reaction score
TVMan;1965624 said:
Add to that list...

Really????

masomenos

Less is more
Reaction score
starfrombirth;1965625 said:
Really????

NFL Draft Scout / NFL.com have him listed at 6'3, 239 lbs. He's a guy who's had an incredible 43 tackles for loss in the past two season, including 27 last year, while also notching 13.5 sacks in 2007. He's in the backfield a LOT. 40 time listed as 4.64, but we'll get an official time in the next couple of days. Currently rated as a 5th round pick with his stock on the rise, wouldn't be outlandish to think he could end up in the 4th round.

[FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-2]Positives: Has a rare-sized frame with room to carry more bulk...Has an athletic physique, good muscle definition in his arms and legs, firm midsection, good bubble, low body fat and thick thighs and calves...Type of player whose short-area burst off the line needs to be accounted for on every snap...Will play with bumps and bruises and is willing to handle whatever the coaches ask from him...Has very good agility closing on the ball (stays lower in his pads vs. plays in front of him than when having to cover vs. the pass)...Nice guy off the field, but his personality quickly changes on the field (plays with total aggression)...Self-motivated type with good balance and foot speed closing on outside running plays...Has a violent hand punch that will generally see him gain advantage over a lethargic blocker...True warrior that coaches won't have to worry about motivating him...When he locates the ball, he closes in a hurry and does a good job of squaring up before taking on the isolated blocker (not stout to split double teams working inside, but still shows willingness)...If he gets his hands on an opponent, he can stack blockers and getting off his man to redirect and fill the rush lanes...Maintains good separation when he extends his arms in combat and when he shoots his hands with force, he has good success in shedding...Gives excellent chase along the perimeter to cut off the runner and stays on his feet well, doing a nice job of stringing out plays...Alert enough to locate the tiny creases up front, doing a nice job of getting "skinny" to slip and avoid blocks when working inside...Even when he gets caught out of position, he shows urgency getting back into the play...Has good eyes to read the quarterback, timing his jumps to easily track the ball when on the move (has problems finding the ball in a crowd)...Even though he has a strong hand punch, he gets most of his success as a pass rusher when he avoids the bigger people blocking up front...Plays with good effort in pursuit and has a better angle concept vs. the run than when covering vs. the pass...Can clear his feet and run a long way to deliver a crunching tackle...Good open field striker who consistently stops the ballcarrier's forward progress, thanks mostly to strong arm swipes and above average hand usage...Does a better job shadowing tight ends and backs underneath than when dropping back into the zone...Has a quick burst to close on plays in front of him...Not a natural hands catcher going for the interception, but has good leaping ability and timing to compete for the jump balls...Most effective when running stunts because of his quickness, as he is dangerous whether rushing off the edge or bull rushing inside (only when he keeps his pads down)...Stays alive and squeezes the pocket well...Can generate good power on his initial surge and has developed a strong rip move to rock the blockers back on their heels...Does a nice job of protecting his feet on the move...Has great timing as a gunner on special teams, adding more value to his resume with his pedigree on these units.

Negatives: For a down lineman, he lacks ideal bulk and strength to play at the point at the next level, as bigger blockers will have success bouncing and pushing him around, especially when working in-line...Has good quickness coming off the edge, but has just decent timed playing speed...Instinctive player, but has had some academic issues and needs several reps to retain (might not be able to digest a complicated playbook, especially if it will be at multiple positions)...As a down lineman, he needs to generate a better hand punch and usage (gets his hands outside his frame at times, letting blockers lock on and wash him off the ball)...Works down the line, but must be more alert to blocking schemes, as he will get hooked on occasion...More of a speed rusher when playing with his hand down, but does not have the anchor to hold ground vs. double teams...More of a collision-type tackler, but did show improvement with his technique as a senior, keeping his pad level down to wrap up and secure...Better attacking the backfield coming off the edge, as he doesn't have the raw power to get a good push when playing the blocker head-up...Quick to locate the ball on the move, but will sometimes lose sight of the pigskin when working through trash...Shows good hip wiggle and lateral range, but must work on smoothing out his backpedal and staying lower in his pads, as he gets too tall in his stance, causing him to cross over with his feet, taking false steps in transition (showed a penchant for getting up on his heels in his pedal, looking awkward trying to come out of his breaks cleany)....Will need time to get comfortable playing with his back to the ball covering receivers on their routes, if he shifts to linebacker...Still a work in progress understanding taking proper angles and driving for depth in his pass drops.

Compares To: JOEY PORTER-Miami...When Porter converted from college defensive end to pro linebacker, he was raw in his first few years before the light clicked upstairs. Johnson is not as instinctive as Porter in locating the ball and will need to totally revamp his pass drop and coverage skills, but he has a violent hand punch to overpower big blockers and a good burst off the edge to be a superb edge rusher. His strong hands have seen him have good success dislodging ballcarriers from the ball. With his ability to wreak havoc in the backfield, he will bring instant value in pass-rushing situations. He is also a very capable coverage defender on special teams. The big thing here will be getting Johnson a patient coach. Doing so could unearth a Pro Bowler before long. He was tried at both inside and outside linebacker in postseason all-star action and held up very well on the edge. The mental aspect of playing inside will be too much for him to grasp at this early stage of his possible shift to a stand-up defender from one with his hand on the ground. Look for Johnson to become the first noteworthy CAU product since former NFL fullback Chuck Evans (1993-2000), who was drafted in the 11th round in 1992.

[/SIZE][/FONT]

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
TVMan;1965624 said:
Add to that list...

There's two of my favorite sleeper picks along with Heath Benedict of Newberry and Markus Monk of Arkansas.

starfrombirth

Reaction score
masomenos85;1965627 said:
NFL Draft Scout / NFL.com have him listed at 6'3, 239 lbs. He's a guy who's had an incredible 43 tackles for loss in the past two season, including 27 last year, while also notching 13.5 sacks in 2007. He's in the backfield a LOT. 40 time listed as 4.64, but we'll get an official time in the next couple of days. Currently rated as a 5th round pick with his stock on the rise, wouldn't be outlandish to think he could end up in the 4th round.

He's just way too small for a DE, especially in the 3-4. Now if he bulks up and goes to LB'r then we have another conversion project on our hands. We have enuff of those, I think.

TVMan

Reaction score
starfrombirth;1965633 said:
He's just way too small for a DE, especially in the 3-4. Now if he bulks up and goes to LB'r then we have another conversion project on our hands. We have enuff of those, I think.

You probably haven't seen him play then. He would be an ideal OLB in the 34.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
starfrombirth;1965633 said:
Many draft insiders are projecting him as a 3-4 OLB. One scout I read says he is smart enough to even play ILB. His motor never stops running. We get him I will be ecstatic.