Draft prospects the Boys have shown some interest in...

masomenos

Less is more
Reaction score
starfrombirth;1965633 said:
He's just way too small for a DE, especially in the 3-4. Now if he bulks up and goes to LB'r then we have another conversion project on our hands. We have enuff of those, I think.

Oh he'd definitely be moved to LB. The thing is, with the 3-4 you can never really have too many pass rushing linebackers. We do need depth at OLB though. A guy like this, who could learn while Ellis is still going strong and then take over rotational duties after he leaves really is a pretty good fit. I mean even to have a disruptive pass rusher who can sub for Ware every now and then. I recall a few games where Ware looked absolutely dead out there near the end of games.

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
TVMan;1965624 said:
Add to that list...

Curtis Johnson-DE, Clark Atlanta 6'4 225
Tashard Choice - RB, Georgia Tech
Chris Ellis OLB Virginia Tech
Chris Johnson RB East Carolina

Hey, I remember they talked to Choice now... in fact, I think he was the first player I read about that they'd shown an interest in... hadn't heard about the others, can you give me some idea where you read about that??

silverbear

Reaction score
Just so you know, BrainPaint or one of the mods will from time to time be adding names to the list in the original post, they're the only ones who can edit my posts after an hour... BP has already added the 4 names we've discussed thus far, and I appreciate the input...

And on another board, there is a report they sat down with Joe Flacco, QB, Delaware... another 2nd or 3rd round prospect on my draft board right now... as is the case with Henne, I'm guessing they're just practicing a little due diligence with both QBs, I can't imagine, with Tony Romo already in the fold, that they'd look at a QB that early in the 08 draft... I expect them to look for a veteran backup, and maybe draft a QB late... maybe... or maybe they like Richard Bartel enough to go with him as the 3rd QB...

Rockytop6

Reaction score
Real good info. Thanks. I appreciate this kind of info but also the mock draft you put out each year.

ms9221

Reaction score
I wouldn't be suprise if the Cowboys look it to Kentwan Balmer/DT/North Carolina and OT Pitt Jeff Otah because two fomer Cowboys Coaches are there.

ValleyBoyz

Reaction score
Add these guys to the list

Cowboys | Team talks with Henne
Sat, 23 Feb 2008 00:41:27 -0800
University of Michigan QB Chad Henne said during his NFL Scouting Combine interview that he has talked with the Dallas Cowboys.

Cowboys | Team meets with Royal
Sat, 23 Feb 2008 00:23:14 -0800
Virginia Tech WR Eddie Royal said during his NFL Scouting Combine interview that he has met with the Dallas Cowboys.

Cowboys | Team talks with D. Thomas
Sat, 23 Feb 2008 00:18:58 -0800
Michigan State WR Devin Thomas said during his 2008 NFL Scouting Combine interview that he has talked with the Dallas Cowboys.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
ValleyBoyz;1965924 said:
Add these guys to the list

Cowboys | Team talks with Henne
Sat, 23 Feb 2008 00:41:27 -0800
University of Michigan QB Chad Henne said during his NFL Scouting Combine interview that he has talked with the Dallas Cowboys.

Virginia Tech WR Eddie Royal said during his NFL Scouting Combine interview that he has met with the Dallas Cowboys.

Michigan State WR Devin Thomas said during his 2008 NFL Scouting Combine interview that he has talked with the Dallas Cowboys.

Chad Henne was already in the original post but I did add the other two blurbs you posted.:cool:

DCfaninDC

Reaction score
silverbear;1965536 said:
:eek:hboy:eek:h yeah, I know it is not much, but I like the idea of a Hokie Cowboy...

masomenos

Less is more
Reaction score
ValleyBoyz;1965924 said:

Excellent news.

montgod

Reaction score
silverbear;1965559 said:
Not as early in the draft as Henne will likely go... I see the Boys adding a veteran in free agency this year, then perhaps going with a later pick like Josh Johnson from San Diego...

Or stick with old man Brad Johnson. He did get a two year deal... so he is still on the books, unfortunately

masomenos

Less is more
Reaction score
montgod;1966130 said:
Or stick with old man Brad Johnson. He did get a two year deal... so he is still on the books, unfortunately

I don't think it would be out of the questions to go with three QBs this year. We have to get a legitimate long term prospect on the team who won't get scooped up off the practice squad like Matt Moore did.

montgod

Reaction score
masomenos85;1966139 said:
I don't think it would be out of the questions to go with three QBs this year. We have to get a legitimate long term prospect on the team who won't get scooped up off the practice squad like Matt Moore did.

I agree. I just would hope that Brad Johnson would be cut and come off the books in favor of a younger, better prospect as well as a different qb vet.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
silverbear;1965536 said:
Early Doucet, WR, LSU... I see him as a second or third rounder at this point...

Red Bryant, DT, Texas A&M... another second or third round prospect...

RB BenJarvus Green-Ellis, Ole Miss, to the list...Curtis Johnson-DE, Clark Atlanta
Tashard Choice - RB, Georgia Tech
Chris Ellis OLB Virginia Tech
Chris Johnson RB East Carolina

funny, I put all these guys in some of my mocks

you da man, SB

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score

We could use this Hokie to return kicks.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
TheCount;1965541 said:
If nothing else it suggests that the their vision of the team needs jive with what most of us have been saying, except it doesn't look like they've spoken to any LB's or OL according to this list, two positions I thought we'd look at.

Yea, looks like the Dallas brass think along the same lines most of us on this board think.......WR, RB, and CB.

silverbear

Reaction score
Again, I thank all who have contributed with little tidbits concerning Cowboys' interests... I can add that I have read that Jamaal Charles said in an interview on Sirius that he's met with the Boys on a number of occasions, and they seem to be real interested in him...

Yesssssss...

silverbear

Reaction score
OK, updating the list, which currently stands at 19 players... as is my habit, I'm putting players I particularly like in bold font:

QB Chad Henne, Michigan... 2nd or 3rd rounder on my board...
QB Joe Flacco, Delaware... 2nd or 3rd rounder...

RB/KR Chris Johnson, East Carolina... 2nd rounder...
RB Jamaal Charles, Texas... 2nd rounder...

RB Tashard Choice, Georgia Tech... 3rd or 4th rounder...
RB BenJarvus Green-Ellis, Ole Miss... 5th or 6th rounder...

FB Peyton Hillis, Arkansas... 4th or 5th rounder...

WR Limas Sweed, Texas... 1st or 2nd rounder...
WR Early Doucet, LSU... 2nd or 3rd rounder...

WR Devin Thomas, Michigan State... 2nd or 3rd rounder...
WR/KR Eddie Royal, Virginia Tech... 5th or 6th rounder...
WR Marcus Monk, Arkansas... 5th or 6th rounder...
WR Mario Urrutia, Louisville... 5th or 6th rounder...

OLB/DE Chris Ellis, Virginia Tech... 2nd or 3rd rounder...
OLB Curtis Johnson, Clark (Atlanta)... 5th or 6th rounder...

DT Red Bryant, Texas A&M... 2nd or 3rd rounder...
DT/DE DeMario Pressley, North Carolina State... 3rd or 4th rounder...

CB Aqib Talib, Kansas... likely 1st rounder...
CB Charles Godfrey, Iowa... 2nd or 3rd rounder...

Four things strike me about this list:

1) No OL at all have been mentioned to this point...

Edit-- there is a report on another board that they've talked with OG O'Neil Cousins from UTEP, but I'm shaky on the source thus far... since I went to UTEP, I'd be pleased if Cousins is one of the players they like...

2) A heavy emphasis on offensive skill positions, in spite of the team's offensive ranking last year... 13 of t he 19 players on this list play offensive skill positions...

3) Probably 10-12 of these players will be drafted in the second or third rounds... their early focus on players in this range tends to lend credence to the rumors that the Boys might be looking to trade with Atlanta for DeAngelo Hall, giving up their first first rounder, Anthony Henry and Akin Ayodele, plus their fourth rounder, for Hall and the Falcons' two second round picks... this would give the Boys one late first, three seconds and a third, which would explain their focus thus far on second and third round prospects...

4) The heavy emphasis on WRs... this leads me to wonder if they're not pondering drafting two, one early, one late... if so, this would suggest that they don't feel optimistic about landing a veteran in via free agency or the trade route...

I'm not saying this means the deal's gonna happen, in fact I hope it doesn't... but their interest list makes sense if such a deal does go down... for one thing, it would explain why we haven't heard them linked to more of the early cornerbacks thus far...