Draft Rumors

Killerinstinct

Reaction score
Think if the brown would take a 4th Manziel would be a cowboy.

If we are picking 5th, I think the draft will play out in a way that we could make a trade back two or 3 spots and pick up an extra draft pick. It would probably be worth a 2nd round pick but at worst a 3rd rd pick. We would still be able to get either Ramsey or Hargreaves III in all likelyhood at 7 or 8.

There are several players that teams below us might covet and create an opportunity to add a pick to use in a trade for Manziel.

2 really good OT's. One receiver that seems to be ranked significantly higher than all the rest. A couple of stud LB's. One DT that seems to be rated higher than the rest. And even a couple of QB's which one might still be available.

I would go into this trying to land Manziel as our new backup fix the secondary in a big way. Add a LB in the 3rd where there seems to be a glut of good LB's slotted. Add a WR in the 4th where there seems to be a ton of good options. Then with the 4th rd supplemental pick pick up a developmental RB to backup Mcfadden.

1st Ramsey or Hargreaves III
2nd Jayron Kearse or Vonn Bell
3rd Traded for Manziel
3rd OLB Perry, Matakevick, Jones, Striker etc.
4th WR Shepard, Miller etc.
4th supp RB Perkins, Collins, Prosise etc.

I would also try to add a CB via FA. Jenoris Jenkins, Leon Hall Etc.

New secondary
CB Scandrick
CB Janoris Jenkins
CB Hargreaves III
FS Byron Jones
SS Jayron Kearse

We can have it all!

Killerinstinct

Reaction score
If we were to trade for an NFL experienced QB I'd take Mettenberger or Glennon over Manziel.

Those are decent options too but I think Manziel is better. Whatever the case we need to not only add a backup qb that can fill in and win but can end up being Romo's eventual replacement and if we can do it without ruining our chances of beefing up the secondary then that needs to be the way to go about it.

IrishAnto

Reaction score
The fact that people realize that Romo will likely miss some time next year is even more incentive to trade for a QB instead of drafting one. Manziel is the perfect candidate. He is already playing pretty well. He has developed a little experience. He has that escapability to allow receivers to get down the field and get open which leads to big plays. He can pick up key first downs with his legs when all else fails extending drives. Put him behind this line and he will give us a chance to win the close games we have been losing. His contract is perfect as we will know what we have when Romo decides to play some golf and hang up the cleats. The added bonus is we would not have to give up a premium draft pick to trade for him. Get on the phone with Cleveland and get it done!

If he's playing well as you say why would the Browns let us have him?

cowboys1981

Reaction score
Those are decent options too but I think Manziel is better. Whatever the case we need to not only add a backup qb that can fill in and win but can end up being Romo's eventual replacement and if we can do it without ruining our chances of beefing up the secondary then that needs to be the way to go about it.

Disagree bud. Glennon lost their jobs to QBs that were drafted top 5. Manziel lost his job because he's an idiot.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
If we are picking 5th, I think the draft will play out in a way that we could make a trade back two or 3 spots and pick up an extra draft pick. It would probably be worth a 2nd round pick but at worst a 3rd rd pick. We would still be able to get either Ramsey or Hargreaves III in all likelyhood at 7 or 8.

There are several players that teams below us might covet and create an opportunity to add a pick to use in a trade for Manziel.

2 really good OT's. One receiver that seems to be ranked significantly higher than all the rest. A couple of stud LB's. One DT that seems to be rated higher than the rest. And even a couple of QB's which one might still be available.

I would go into this trying to land Manziel as our new backup fix the secondary in a big way. Add a LB in the 3rd where there seems to be a glut of good LB's slotted. Add a WR in the 4th where there seems to be a ton of good options. Then with the 4th rd supplemental pick pick up a developmental RB to backup Mcfadden.

1st Ramsey or Hargreaves III
2nd Jayron Kearse or Vonn Bell
3rd Traded for Manziel
3rd OLB Perry, Matakevick, Jones, Striker etc.
4th WR Shepard, Miller etc.
4th supp RB Perkins, Collins, Prosise etc.

I would also try to add a CB via FA. Jenoris Jenkins, Leon Hall Etc.

New secondary
CB Scandrick
CB Janoris Jenkins
CB Hargreaves III
FS Byron Jones
SS Jayron Kearse

We can have it all!

No way would I hope this team trades a 3 for manziel and Perkins won't make it out of the top 10 picks in rd2

Killerinstinct

Reaction score
If he's playing well as you say why would the Browns let us have him?

The Browns GM doesn't like him. Probably the type of person that would never give Hardy a chance either. The Browns can continue using their fisrt pick in the draft every other year to draft qb's. That can work to our advantage. Have you seen Manziel play? I guarantee you he is far more ready to lead a Romo - less Cowboys team to victory than what is available in the draft.

Killerinstinct

Reaction score
Disagree bud. Glennon lost their jobs to QBs that were drafted top 5. Manziel lost his job because he's an idiot.

Manziel hasn't lost his job but might if the Browns use their NO 1 pick in the draft on a QB which is being speculated. I am not opposed to a Glennon or Metzenberger or any other Backup with some experioence and upside but I do believe Manziel has a chance to be special. In some ways he already is even playing on a perenial loser. The added bonus is he is fun to watch. Similar to a younger Romo.

IrishAnto

Reaction score
The Browns GM doesn't like him. Probably the type of person that would never give Hardy a chance either. The Browns can continue using their fisrt pick in the draft every other year to draft qb's. That can work to our advantage. Have you seen Manziel play? I guarantee you he is far more ready to lead a Romo - less Cowboys team to victory than what is available in the draft.

And your proof that the Brown's GM doesn't like him?

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
I agree with this, but he's also a drink away from a suspension by the league.

cowboys1981

Reaction score
Manziel hasn't lost his job but might if the Browns use their NO 1 pick in the draft on a QB which is being speculated. I am not opposed to a Glennon or Metzenberger or any other Backup with some experioence and upside but I do believe Manziel has a chance to be special. In some ways he already is even playing on a perenial loser. The added bonus is he is fun to watch. Similar to a younger Romo.

He did lose his job to only get it back to showcase him for a potential trade in the offseason. Fans won't line up at the gates for any other QB on their roster.

Killerinstinct

Reaction score
And your proof that the Brown's GM doesn't like him?

There has been plenty of speculation that the Browns may move on from Manziel. Here is a recent quote.

Browns coach Mike Pettine admitted Thursday that Johnny Manziel might not be with the Browns next season.

Asked about the potential 2016 return of Josh Gordon and the effect it would have on Manziel, Pettine said it would be a "positive thing" if Manziel were "on the roster." Pettine has open contempt for Manziel, though he won't have much say in his Browns future. It's quite possible Pettine is handed his walking papers the day after Cleveland's regular season finale.

RS12

Reaction score
So Dallas should draft another wr to replace dez? Because every yr and I mean every yr he has issues with his foot or hammy or back. Is that what ur saying?

Romo rushed back this yr because this team was still in the race for the division. That bone wasn't healed.

First draft your board. If Treadwell is highest (I doubt it) take him. I dont agree with your take on Romo's injury (I am not a doctor) but he has not played a full season in three years for various injuries, so it isnt all bad luck, rushing back, or coincidence, its a trend. With regard to the QBs on the draft board: If they had JFB as a top 5 and Weeden as a second rounder, my guess Lynch and Goff are high first round, and Wentz might be low first round or early second.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
If Wentz blows up at the Senior Bowl, he's going to vault into the mid-late first IMO. I would endorse a trade up. To me, he seems like the right fit for us.

Minnesota only gave up a 4th to trade up from 40 to 32 to take Bridgewater. Considering how key that 5th year option is for a QB that sounds like great value. We should be picking higher in the 2nd then 40th

RS12

Reaction score
I wouldnt be shocked if Wentz winds up in the top 10

In a league where there are 10 bad starters anything could happen. That being the case where is this magical competent back up going to appear out of thin air from? JFB: hung over and not liked by team mates, see Joe Thomas comments. RG3: DISPISED by team mates and has only had limited success in a basic offense. Kaep: Reputation for not being a particularly hard worker and it showed on the field. I dont see what everybody else does.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
First draft your board. If Treadwell is highest (I doubt it) take him. I dont agree with your take on Romo's injury (I am not a doctor) but he has not played a full season in three years for various injuries, so it isnt all bad luck, rushing back, or coincidence, its a trend. With regard to the QBs on the draft board: If they had JFB as a top 5 and Weeden as a second rounder, my guess Lynch and Goff are high first round, and Wentz might be low first round or early second.

Romo missed 1 game because of a broken back in 2014, and missed the final game of 2013 with the back. So is Dez injuries a trend?

IrishAnto

Reaction score
There has been plenty of speculation that the Browns may move on from Manziel. Here is a recent quote.

Browns coach Mike Pettine admitted Thursday that Johnny Manziel might not be with the Browns next season.

Asked about the potential 2016 return of Josh Gordon and the effect it would have on Manziel, Pettine said it would be a "positive thing" if Manziel were "on the roster." Pettine has open contempt for Manziel, though he won't have much say in his Browns future. It's quite possible Pettine is handed his walking papers the day after Cleveland's regular season finale.

Could we have a link?

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
In a league where there are 10 bad starters anything could happen. That being the case where is this magical competent back up going to appear out of thin air from? JFB: hung over and not liked by team mates, see Joe Thomas comments. RG3: DISPISED by team mates and has only had limited success in a basic offense. Kaep: Reputation for not being a particularly hard worker and it showed on the field. I dont see what everybody else does.

As far as competent back, your only two real hopes are Keenum and Fitzpatrick and both may be looking for starting opportunities in FA. Other then that you are looking at a bunch of broken candidates where you best bet may legitimately be Mark Sanchez

RS12

Reaction score
Romo missed 1 game because of a broken back in 2014, and missed the final game of 2013 with the back. So is Dez injuries a trend?

IMO likely with the way he plays. Thats why if Treadwell is the guy (as I said doubtful) take him because they dont have anything else close to a one. I think Josh Gordon has as a good a chance to be here as JFB by the way. Gordon when he plays is a beast.