Draft Rumors

IAmLegend

Reaction score
Draft rumors in December are pretty much useless tbh. Not to be a downer or anything.

IAmLegend

Reaction score
I've already said write down Hargreaves III name down and run up to the podium... That kid is a stud at DB. Plays with major attitude and confidence.

I typically am not crazy about short CB's but he intrigues me. Plays bigger than his size. Aggressive receiver with a lot of fight in him. Still a little worrisome though simply b/c WR's are bigger, stronger, and faster in the NFL, but I think he should be alright.

AmishCowboy

if you ain't first, you're last
Reaction score
There has been plenty of speculation that the Browns may move on from Manziel. Here is a recent quote.

Browns coach Mike Pettine admitted Thursday that Johnny Manziel might not be with the Browns next season.

Asked about the potential 2016 return of Josh Gordon and the effect it would have on Manziel, Pettine said it would be a "positive thing" if Manziel were "on the roster." Pettine has open contempt for Manziel, though he won't have much say in his Browns future. It's quite possible Pettine is handed his walking papers the day after Cleveland's regular season finale.

I think Pettine goes before Manziel

CowboyChris

Reaction score
in terms of salary...which would cost more, drafting a QB in the top 5 or acquiring a vet backup such as Manziel, Kap or RG!!!?

sureletsrace

Official CZ Homer
Reaction score
in terms of salary...which would cost more, drafting a QB in the top 5 or acquiring a vet backup such as Manziel, Kap or RG!!!?

Ultimately, this depends on what those guys would want to get paid.

If we pick at say, 7th overall, that contract is set at around 15mil. So that's 3.75mil per year over 4 years for the 7th overall pick.

I would guess that Manziel or RG3 would want a similar contract, if not more.

You also have to consider the value you're getting for that money. With the rookies, they're somewhat of an unknown as far as their ability to perform in the NFL. They could be much better than Manziel or RG3, whereas with those 2 guys, you pretty much know what you're getting, for better or worse.

Note: I'm not sure how the 5th year for rookies work, but I'm going to assume the 15mil figure is for 4yrs and does not include the 5th year option.

Killerinstinct

Reaction score

Johnny ManzielQuarterback6/17/2014: Signed a four-year, $8,247,250 contract. The deal contains $6,702,625 guaranteed, including a $4.318 million signing bonus. 2015: $794,936, 2016: $1,169,872, 2017: $1,294,808 (+ $250,000 roster bonus), 2018: Club Option, 2019: Free Agent

Robert Griffin IIIQuarterback7/18/2012: Signed a four-year, $21,119,098 contract. The deal is fully guaranteed, including a $13,799,344 signing bonus. 2015: $3,269,877, 2016: $16.2 million, 2017: Free Agent

Colin KaepernickQuarterback6/4/2014: Signed a seven-year, $126.97 million contract. The deal contains $61 million guaranteed, although only $13.073 was guaranteed at signing -- a $12,328,766 signing bonus, Kaepernick's 2014 base salary, and a $100,000 first-year workout bonus. Kaepernick's 2015-2017 base salaries are guaranteed only for injury. Kaepernick is eligible for annual $2 million per-game roster bonuses and offseason workout bonuses of $400,000 in years two through seven. 2015: $12.4 million, 2016: $13.9 million, 2017: $16.5 million, 2018: $17 million, 2019: $18.8 million, 2020: $21 million, 2021: Free Agent

This is what the 5th pick in the draft would be paid.

$5,916,435

Manziel is by far the best option.

sureletsrace

Official CZ Homer
Reaction score
Johnny ManzielQuarterback6/17/2014: Signed a four-year, $8,247,250 contract. The deal contains $6,702,625 guaranteed, including a $4.318 million signing bonus. 2015: $794,936, 2016: $1,169,872, 2017: $1,294,808 (+ $250,000 roster bonus), 2018: Club Option, 2019: Free Agent

Robert Griffin IIIQuarterback7/18/2012: Signed a four-year, $21,119,098 contract. The deal is fully guaranteed, including a $13,799,344 signing bonus. 2015: $3,269,877, 2016: $16.2 million, 2017: Free Agent

Colin KaepernickQuarterback6/4/2014: Signed a seven-year, $126.97 million contract. The deal contains $61 million guaranteed, although only $13.073 was guaranteed at signing -- a $12,328,766 signing bonus, Kaepernick's 2014 base salary, and a $100,000 first-year workout bonus. Kaepernick's 2015-2017 base salaries are guaranteed only for injury. Kaepernick is eligible for annual $2 million per-game roster bonuses and offseason workout bonuses of $400,000 in years two through seven. 2015: $12.4 million, 2016: $13.9 million, 2017: $16.5 million, 2018: $17 million, 2019: $18.8 million, 2020: $21 million, 2021: Free Agent

This is what the 5th pick in the draft would be paid.

$5,916,435

Manziel is by far the best option.

I'm not so sure that Manziel signs another contract like that. I think he'll want more. If he was willing to, then I'd be okay with him at that price. I don't think he is good enough to be our "QB of the future", but I think he'd be fine as a backup.

Bigdog

Reaction score
If Griffin's deal is fully guaranteed than why would they let him go? He would cost them 16.2 mil unless someone else picks him up.

Killerinstinct

Reaction score
I'm not so sure that Manziel signs another contract like that. I think he'll want more. If he was willing to, then I'd be okay with him at that price. I don't think he is good enough to be our "QB of the future", but I think he'd be fine as a backup.

He is under contract. If traded the contract stands. He wont be flat out released so that is the contract we would have to pay if we traded for him. It is the perfect contract for a back up find out if future QB when you already have a highly paid QB like we do.

Killerinstinct

Reaction score
If Griffin's deal is fully guaranteed than why would they let him go? He would cost them 16.2 mil unless someone else picks him up.

I don't think RG III or Kap are options. Too expensive. They can't be cut and if someone trades for them the salaries will be prohibative for any team already paying a high priced QB.

sureletsrace

Official CZ Homer
Reaction score
He is under contract. If traded the contract stands. He wont be flat out released so that is the contract we would have to pay if we traded for him. It is the perfect contract for a back up find out if future QB when you already have a highly paid QB like we do.

You're right. I thought his contract was until 2016. Good call. Not sure what I'd want the team to give up for him though. Not more than a 4th. Not for a backup.

Killerinstinct

Reaction score
You're right. I thought his contract was until 2016. Good call. Not sure what I'd want the team to give up for him though. Not more than a 4th. Not for a backup.

In this case it a backup that is young enough and gifted enough to possibly be your franchise QB when Romo retires plus he comes cheap salarywise.

I would give up a 3rd for him.

sureletsrace

Official CZ Homer
Reaction score
In this case it a backup that is young enough and gifted enough to possibly be your franchise QB when Romo retires plus he comes cheap salarywise.

I would give up a 3rd for him.

Well I personally don't feel that he has that potential, but if the team felt that way, then a 3rd would make sense.

Killerinstinct

Reaction score
Well I personally don't feel that he has that potential, but if the team felt that way, then a 3rd would make sense.

I think he has the potential. The question is does he ever live up to it? I am not saying he would or wouldn't but it's not like your trading for an older QB with limited upside that is brought in to be a bus driver like Cassell. It will all be a meaningless point if the Browns decide to stick with him but if he is available for trade, he has the perfect contract and mix of being able to play right away if Romo is injured and has the potential to be a legit Franchise QB if he can get his head on straight. IMO

sureletsrace

Official CZ Homer
Reaction score
I think he has the potential. The question is does he ever live up to it? I am not saying he would or wouldn't but it's not like your trading for an older QB with limited upside that is brought in to be a bus driver like Cassell. It will all be a meaningless point if the Browns decide to stick with him but if he is available for trade, he has the perfect contract and mix of being able to play right away if Romo is injured and has the potential to be a legit Franchise QB if he can get his head on straight. IMO

I can respect that, and I don't hate the idea. With the way that JFF is (you love him or you hate him), I'm really in the middle and don't love him or hate him. I'm pretty in the middle.

btcutter

Reaction score
http://BAN-INCOMING-IN-3-2-1/nfldraftrumormill.php

Looks like Jalen Ramsey isnt getting the love that most people on here see. when i look at his video on draft breakdown i see the same things they talk about in this writeup. They guy has good range but he plays stiff and doesnt change direction very good. Oregon made him look slow. And thats when he was playing FS.

Like what this piece says about the QBs in the draft too: "Another general manager said, "Some will go high because of need, but all may be overrated."

QB always over drafted. Some won't touch Cam Newton. It's not until this year that he's made that jump. Prior to this year I'm not sure many would say he's been worthy of #1 overall pick.

btcutter

Reaction score
The fact that people realize that Romo will likely miss some time next year is even more incentive to trade for a QB instead of drafting one. Manziel is the perfect candidate. He is already playing pretty well. He has developed a little experience. He has that escapability to allow receivers to get down the field and get open which leads to big plays. He can pick up key first downs with his legs when all else fails extending drives. Put him behind this line and he will give us a chance to win the close games we have been losing. His contract is perfect as we will know what we have when Romo decides to play some golf and hang up the cleats. The added bonus is we would not have to give up a premium draft pick to trade for him. Get on the phone with Cleveland and get it done!

IMO I would never have Manziel in Dallas. He is a nickel head without physical attributes of Jeff George. He let any success gets to his head. Imagine him in Dallas. It will be a circus. Just say NO!