Draft Rumors

Sydla

Reaction score
He still has a good pocket presence. Surround him with some talent and he can do well. He can give us a chance to win. Day 1. He could also grow to be something better. He is learning. His stats look pretty decent to me for a guy with the limited amount of playing time he has had and playing for the worst franchise in the NFL.

I'll say this. I don't have an issue with him being here as a backup if the cost is cheap. Throw a 7th round pick at Cleveland? Sure. Wait for him to maybe get cut? Sure.

But he's not good enough and too big a risk to throw anything of value (and by that I mean even a 3rd or 4th round pick) at the Browns IMO.

Killerinstinct

Reaction score
I'll say this. I don't have an issue with him being here as a backup if the cost is cheap. Throw a 7th round pick at Cleveland? Sure. Wait for him to maybe get cut? Sure.

But he's not good enough and too big a risk to throw anything of value (and by that I mean even a 3rd or 4th round pick) at the Browns IMO.

LOL! wait for him to get cut. That is hilarious. 7th round pick. Knee-slapping funny. You must be a comedian.

Killerinstinct

Reaction score
Whew.

I thought you were going to say something like a 2nd rounder.

No but that might be what they are looking for. I wouldn't do it. Especially an early 2nd rounder. The two 4ths should be equal to a mid 3rd. The 3rd would be an early 3rd assuming we don't win these last two games.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
The draft isn't an exact science. If it was that easy to know which picks are "safe" then there wouldn't be any draft busts. The point is, because you flop on a player you can't stop drafting that position. That just makes no sense.

Picks are considered safe picks because of mental make up of the person no off the field issues and just overall performance of the player. Common sense would tell you thats what GM's coaches and TV people are talking about when the word safe is used by them. Nobody knows how they will turn out in the NFL. BUt the Cowboys nailed it with them 3 players i said. All were considered safe picks by the team and other teams.

Dodger12

Reaction score
Picks are considered safe picks because of mental make up of the person no off the field issues and just overall performance of the player. Common sense would tell you thats what GM's coaches and TV people are talking about when the word safe is used by them.

Great. Got it. So why cant this be our criteria for a QB?

Nobody knows how they will turn out in the NFL. BUt the Cowboys nailed it with them 3 players i said. All were considered safe picks by the team and other teams.

Great again. Use the same decision making process on picking a QB. If they nailed it by being able to identify the "safe" pick, then they should do the same with the QB position.

Last edited:

visionary

Reaction score
The fact that people realize that Romo will likely miss some time next year is even more incentive to trade for a QB instead of drafting one. Manziel is the perfect candidate. He is already playing pretty well. He has developed a little experience. He has that escapability to allow receivers to get down the field and get open which leads to big plays. He can pick up key first downs with his legs when all else fails extending drives. Put him behind this line and he will give us a chance to win the close games we have been losing. His contract is perfect as we will know what we have when Romo decides to play some golf and hang up the cleats. The added bonus is we would not have to give up a premium draft pick to trade for him. Get on the phone with Cleveland and get it done!

I want no part of Manziel
That is a clown show waiting to happen

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
Great. Git it. So why cant this be our criteria for a QB?

Great again. Use the same decision making process on picking a QB. If they nailed it by being able to identify the "safe" pick, then they should do the same with the QB position.

Because they're projects. This team isn't desperate for a starting qb. Backup yes better to go FA for a backup. Unless they go rd2 that's understandable but going rd 1 for a qb where they're projected to draft is plain dumb.

Dodger12

Reaction score
Because they're projects. This team isn't desperate for a starting qb. Backup yes better to go FA for a backup. Unless they go rd2 that's understandable but going rd 1 for a qb where they're projected to draft is plain dumb.

This goes completely against your stated philosophy. When you wait until you're desperate, you reach (see Carter, Quincy). Romo is closer to the end than the beginning. The time is right to make that safe pick you've been talking about.

SportsGuru80

CowboysYanksLakers
Reaction score
I've already said write down Hargreaves III name down and run up to the podium... That kid is a stud at DB. Plays with major attitude and confidence.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I would try to get him with 2 4's. Our regular pick and the comp we should get for Murray. I would go as high as 3rd.

You can't trade comp picks.

What CLE likely wants most is not actual compensation but face saving and moving on. That's why the pick will likely be conditional. So that it sounds better than it is.
CLE is going to be picking high yet again. Doubt they value picks as much as most but would value removing JM as a distraction if the coach really doesn't want him there.

His value is limited by the fact he is entering year 3 with major question marks. Like Mo with us guaranteeing year 5 would be very expensive and have to be done early meaning he is VERY likely an UFA in 2 years anyway.

A player and a conditional pick might well be enough. The question becomes what player does it take to sweeten the pot. They would likely ask for someone like Collins but we'd laugh and offer Wilcox then they'd laugh. Maybe somewhere there in the middle is the right fit. Would you give them a conditional pick and Hitchens? I think I would.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I've already said write down Hargreaves III name down and run up to the podium... That kid is a stud at DB. Plays with major attitude and confidence.

He was the top CB coming out of High School and has been great since day 1.
But reality is the tape isn't as good as it was for Mo. VH3 is listed under 200 pounds and under 6 foot so he isn't the bigger, stronger CB that's become vogue.

VH3 would be a nice target after a trade down to mid R1.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I just looked and one sight has 2017 but others are reporting this will take effect in 2016 which is what I had heard earlier. Not sure which one is correct.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...es-compensatory-picks-can-be-traded-next-year

When in doubt go with the ones with the most recent date:)
It became official and not just rumor December 2nd.
And the date was pushed out to 2017.
per NFL.com

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-netwo...-compensatory-picks-will-be-able-to-be-traded

Dodger12

Reaction score