Draft Rumors

Killerinstinct

Reaction score
Johnny College made his name chunking the ball downfield to Mike Evans or running the ball himself at Texas A&M
He can't do that in the NFL.

He still has a good pocket presence. Surround him with some talent and he can do well. He can give us a chance to win. Day 1. He could also grow to be something better. He is learning. His stats look pretty decent to me for a guy with the limited amount of playing time he has had and playing for the worst franchise in the NFL.

Dodger12

Reaction score
I'm with you 100%

Teams can no longer afford to draft a QB, then let him sit and wait.

99% of the time, that future QB doesn't pan out. Then you're screwed.

If a QB gets picked in round 1, he's playing day 1

To add some perspective, the year we drafted Felix Jones we had just signed MBIII to a huge contract but that didn't keep us from using a #1 on another RB. We also spent a 4th rounder on Choice. Then we spend a 1st and a 2nd on Claiborne a few years after we spent a 1st on Jenkins and paid Carr big money. We burn through 2nd round picks like water for a TE even though we have a HOFer already on the roster. We've spent 3 1st round and a 3rd round pick trading for a WR's (Galloway and Roy Williams) on WR's. For the most part, all those picks were wasted and we even went to the well again for another TE.

These were all valuable picks spent that we got a very limited return from. For the life of me, I just can't understand how fans are so averse to using high picks on the most important position on the field. Quite frankly, I'd do it every year if I had to until I got it right.

manster4ever

Reaction score
Manziel has NFL starting skill and athleticism. He has zero maturity.

He'd certainly be worth a shot if the cost was basically nothing. But you don't want to assume any risk. It'd be like letting someone out of rehab, move into your guest house.

He's got NOTHING. Guy is a Zero as a player and person.

4lifecowboy

Reaction score
I'm with you 100%

Teams can no longer afford to draft a QB, then let him sit and wait.

99% of the time, that future QB doesn't pan out. Then you're screwed.

If a QB gets picked in round 1, he's playing day 1

Which is what screw the majority of them up.

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
http://BAN-INCOMING-IN-3-2-1/nfldraftrumormill.php

Looks like Jalen Ramsey isnt getting the love that most people on here see. when i look at his video on draft breakdown i see the same things they talk about in this writeup. They guy has good range but he plays stiff and doesnt change direction very good. Oregon made him look slow. And thats when he was playing FS.

Like what this piece says about the QBs in the draft too: "Another general manager said, "Some will go high because of need, but all may be overrated."

I don't like Ramsey. for FS I want Darian Thompson. He is the definition of a ballhawking safety. Also, we seem to have good fortune with Boise St. players. I also want Kevin Byard at SS. He is also the definition of a ballhawking safety.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
Some are you guys are as afraid to draft a QB as Jerry is.

I've seen every excuse under the sun as why we shouldn't draft one, yet some of you conveniently overlook that nearly every star QB in the league (read: those not selected #1) had some concerns.

Rodgers dropped, Brees dropped, Dalton dropped, Wilson dropped, Brady dropped, Romo dropped, etc.

We could've had them all, but passed because of one excuse or another.

Obviously in hindsight, they would now be the #1 or #2 player selected in the draft.

This may be the best chance we have to draft the potential next "franchise" QB, and to pass as many of you would have us do, only to see them become a star elsewhere is foolish, IMO.

Can they bust? Clearly, and it would be a big blow, but imagine if they actually hit - we'd open our window for at least the next decade.

That's clearly a better scenario than spending the next decade floundering in a post-Aikman like haze.
Lets be clear im against drafting a QB in the top 5 and having him sit. If Dallas trades down mid to late RD1 draft Wentz and ill be happy. But noway in hell should this team draft a QB top 5 with the team thinking Romo still has years left.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
To add some perspective, the year we drafted Felix Jones we had just signed MBIII to a huge contract but that didn't keep us from using a #1 on another RB. We also spent a 4th rounder on Choice. Then we spend a 1st and a 2nd on Claiborne a few years after we spent a 1st on Jenkins and paid Carr big money. We burn through 2nd round picks like water for a TE even though we have a HOFer already on the roster. We've spent 3 1st round and a 3rd round pick trading for a WR's (Galloway and Roy Williams) on WR's. For the most part, all those picks were wasted and we even went to the well again for another TE.

These were all valuable picks spent that we got a very limited return from. For the life of me, I just can't understand how fans are so averse to using high picks on the most important position on the field. Quite frankly, I'd do it every year if I had to until I got it right.

And look how that turned out. Wasted picks when there were other needs. This team needs safe picks rather than flashy picks IMO. Claiborne was a flashy pick, but then you see the team going safe with Fredrick Martin and Jones and you see the difference.

IrishAnto

Reaction score
"He's actually been all over the place in Cleveland. He was bad against Cincy, good in his next two games, terrible in Seattle game. He's inconsistent and he'll never be better than inconsistent."

61% completion rate and 7 to 4 td to int ratio playing on a lousy team but that doesn't begin to tell the story.

Watch what he does as he gets more experience and better players around him.

Funny there were similar things said about Weeden when he got here too.

How did that work out?

IrishAnto

Reaction score
When did we ever babysit Joseph Randle?

Pac-man cleaned up his act here and got another contract because of it. Tank Johnson, the same. Dez Bryant the first few years, bingo. Hardy the last few weeks, ding ding ding.

The Cowboys have a proven history of taking in troubled players and getting them help and seeing them perform at a high level. To insinuate the opposite is to completely ignore historical evidence.

Maybe they should have baby sat Randle.

And Pacman Jones didn’t clean up his act here.

He was suspended for several games during the 2008 season for an incident at a Dallas hotel.

He then sat on his heals during the 2009 season after a one year deal with the Winnipeg Blue Bombers fell through and that’s when he got his act together.

Tank Johnson had two incidents with the law neither of which included allegations he tried to have somebody shot.

Again Bryant not in the same ballpark as Jones.

And last but not least, it’s one thing to have to babysit your third CB or second string DT and quite another your potential starting QB for probably the highest profile team in the NFL.

That’s one circus this team doesn’t need.

Sydla

Reaction score
For me it has to do with maximizing resources. IF you go with a QB in the first round then you are going to groom him. So you need to have another veteran QB on the roster. If you are the typical team that is picking this early in the draft you can throw him to the wolves because most likely you have no shot at having a good season anyway. That is not the case with Dallas. We could easily be in contention next year.

If you use your early first rd pick on QB then obviously you can't use it elsewhere and I for one am sick of seeing this secondary year after year give up first downs on 3rd and 15 and take bad angles etc.

This is why I like Manziel. It is a chance to get a highly touted prospect with a lot of tools but also has already developed some and gives you a chance to win now. Negating the need to carry another veteran QB. Plus he would not require a premium pick allowing the team to finally fix this secondary.

I hope I never have to see Carr, Mo, Wilcox or Church on the field again. Or at least as few of them as possible.

The problem is you act like Manziel is this finished product. He hasn't developed yet. He's actually very far from being "developed".

Dodger12

Reaction score
And look how that turned out. Wasted picks when there were other needs. This team needs safe picks rather than flashy picks IMO. Claiborne was a flashy pick, but then you see the team going safe with Fredrick Martin and Jones and you see the difference.

The draft isn't an exact science. If it was that easy to know which picks are "safe" then there wouldn't be any draft busts. The point is, because you flop on a player you can't stop drafting that position. That just makes no sense.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
He's got NOTHING. Guy is a Zero as a player and person.

As a person you may well be right.
He is definitely not likable.

But talent-wise you are simply wrong.
He can avoid rushes and buy time. He has more than adequate arm strength and his accuracy is middle of the road.

Big-arm plodders are what we had in Weeden. That guy doesn't work in this offense. Manziel "could". But anyone is a long shot. That's the way ti works at QB.

Manziel badly wanted to be here. If anyone is capable of feedign his ego all while nudging him into hard work and growing into a leader it is Jerry Jones who would basically adopt the kid the day he signed.

I strongly dislike fratboy affluenza type knuckleheads but this kid has talent and belief and he is a Texas kid who loves the Cowboys. Frat boys all eventually grow up.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
The draft isn't an exact science. If it was that easy to know which picks are "safe" then there wouldn't be any draft busts. The point is, because you flop on a player you can't stop drafting that position. That just makes no sense.

ANY means of acquiring a QB is a gamble and costs resources.
The question is simply what's the best use of resources to minimize the gamble.

Dallas has been blessed with 3 franchise QBs.
1. Draft and follow Staubach
2. Draft after toilet season, Aikman
3. Get lucky in UDFA, Romo.

Staubach and Romo were multi-year jobs and Aikman was a "couple" years of bottoming out.

The other ways are trade and free agency. Those are the quickest but least likely to land a franchise guy. UNLESS you go find a man-child like Favre that turned people off with his frat boy ways but has obvious talent.

Of obvious options this off-season I prefer:
1. Trade incentivized 4-6th rounder for Manziel (based on him making our roster than escalating if he plays in games).
2. Draft a guy to develop but not in top 15 picks. Either trade down in bottom of round 1 or use r2/r3.
3. Trade garbage for another young wash out. --there are 3-4 per year so team takes it's pick.
4. Sign a FA.
5. Depend upon Kellen Moore and Showers to back up Romo and eventually succeed him.

bayeslife

187beatdown
Reaction score
One thing I will say about drafting a QB is that they would be in a better position than most teams in that he'll be playing behind a top 3 offensive line.