Draft rumours and info

jnday

Reaction score
I'm not saying I'm against drafting Ruiz..... however, you are right about 2018 how bad the OL was. I believe it was a few factors. Some was Dak holding the ball too long and doing that stupid spin right into a defender, also not only was Looney new but had a rookie Connor Williams beside him at LG. The biggest thing about OL, more than anything is chemistry.

I think taking Ruiz at 17 is a big time reach but if he is the target, Dallas should trade back. If no trade is available than Dallas needs to draft best player available and that wouldn't be Ruiz......... just my opinion. Personally, I don't think center is a huge need and wouldn't draft one unless that player is best available.
Even if they draft Ruiz at 17, the thought of having great center play for the next decade would make drafting worth it.

cowboyec

Reaction score
Even if they draft Ruiz at 17, the thought of having great center play for the next decade would make drafting worth it.
if they think Ruiz is better than what they think they have in McGovern...I can see them turning his card in.
the noise seems to be centering(no pun intended) at Chaisson,Terrell and Ruiz.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
He could be a Hall of Famer or end up a bust. He is a huge reach at 17 and I'm not sure if anybody has him as a first round talent. Wasn't until Frederick said he retired when I started seeing all these people say how great Ruiz is. Was mainly late 2nd to 3rd round pick on most mocks but now since Frederick retired Ruiz is a top 20 hall of fame player.

cowboyec

Reaction score
He could be a Hall of Famer or end up a bust. He is a huge reach at 17 and I'm not sure if anybody has him as a first round talent. Wasn't until Frederick said he retired when I started seeing all these people say how great Ruiz is. Was mainly late 2nd to 3rd round pick on most mocks but now since Frederick retired Ruiz is a top 20 hall of fame player.
watch Denver.
folks keep linking us to him...Denver has a need at C also...their McGovern left via f/a.

jnday

Reaction score
Alabama LB Terrell Lewis medically flagged
A number of teams, dare I say half the league, have medically failed Terrell Lewis of Alabama. Lewis missed most of the 2017 season and all of the 2018 campaign, a total of 25 games, with separate injuries.

Lewis tore a ligament in his elbow during the first game of his sophomore season and suffered a torn ACL in his right knee the following summer, which sidelined him for all of 2018.There’s no denying that Lewis is a terrific 3-4 outside linebacker prospect for the next level when healthy and at the top of his game. I grade Lewis as a second-round prospect off his game film, but if he takes a drastic drop on draft weekend, we’ll all know why.

Who are the Dolphins truly targeting at quarterback and left tackle?
A source close to Stephen Ross tells me that the Dolphins owner is talking as though quarterback Justin Herbert is not in the team’s plans with the fifth overall pick. The source tells me that he feels it’s either Tua Tagovailoa with pick number five or a position player at that spot with a later maneuver for Utah State’s Jordan Love, which I wrote about last Friday. PFN has also been reporting since March that it’s likely Love is the next quarterback on their board after Joe Burrow and Tagovailoa, not Herbert.

Who is the position player the Dolphins could take with the fifth pick? Sources tell me it’s Andrew Thomas of Georgia, who would fill a need at left tackle.If they don’t end up with Thomas, I continue to hear that Ezra Cleveland is a hot name in the Dolphins war room. I’m told the Dolphins would also consider Isaiah Wilson or Josh Jones with their final pick in round one if they don’t select a tackle with their initial two selections. Wilson would fill a hole at right tackle

Who might the Saints be targeting in round one?
Months ago, I mentioned the expectation that the New Orleans Saints will go receiver-heavy in this draft. One pass catcher they like and would consider late in round one is Jalen Reagor of TCU.

Reagor would add significant speed to the receiver spot and offer depth behind Deonte Harris as a kick and punt returner. If the Saints don’t go receiver in the first round, then linebacker will be a consideration as will a highly rated quarterback, if one falls.

Would Gettleman have preferred Justin Herbert a year ago?
NFL.com is reporting Dave Gettleman and the New York Giants have spent a lot of time researching Oregon quarterback Justin Herbert. I was privy to this information two weeks ago when we focused on Herbert during our Draft Insiders podcast and can tell you Gettleman has done a lot of work on Herbert the past two years.And while there’s no way the Giants select Herbert this Thursday, it is interesting to note that Herbert was Gettleman’s top choice at quarterback had he entered the 2019 NFL Draft.

Receivers to be popular at back end of round one
The way it looks right now, there could be a lot of receivers selected late in round one, or at least more than most expect. Surveying the last dozen teams in the first frame, almost 90% have said they are looking for a receiver or linebacker in the first round.

all from tony pauline
So the Giants have spent two years closely following a top QB prospect that they have no real interest in? That is hard to believe. Either they didn’t really put in the research or they lied about the possibility of drafting him.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
watch Denver.
folks keep linking us to him...Denver has a need at C also...their McGovern left via f/a.
I really doubt Ruiz goes top 20. Denver, I think will grab a WR to pair with Sutton. A Ruggs and Sutton combo would be nice for them.

jnday

Reaction score
The way that Dallas usually grades the draft prospects, they rate players by round. There is rarely very many first round rated players at 17. If Ruiz is a second round prospect on their board and the first round rated players are off the board, Ruiz would carry the same second round grade as everybody else, so it wouldn’t be a reach by their standards. I haven’t looked at Ruiz personally, but he is no different than any other draft prospect that can be a boom or bust. Ruiz’s chances of being a bust is no greater than any other prospect. I would guess from your tone that you don’t want to spend another top pick in the OL. I am different, especially when it comes to centers. Usually centers are pretty easy to grade and the chances of them being busts are not that high. The guy is big, mean and can block on runs and passes from what I have seen. Five years from now, nobody will remember if he was drafted at the 17th position. I don.’the find a Ruiz pick as being much different than the Frederick pick years ago, but I did know a lot more about Frederick because I had been studying his play for the previous two years. I had much rather see Dallas draft the player they really want instead of trying to get cute be trading back.

cnuball21

Reaction score

LOL this is so true...

baltcowboy

Reaction score
FWIW Chris Simms has him as his #3 CB. I agree with you, he doesn’t seem a slam dunk prospect to me
He reminds me of Claiborne. The consensus top corner in the draft but his combine numbers were average. I remember thinking on draft night if he was that good, why was he falling out of the top 5.

stilltheguru

Reaction score
He reminds me of Claiborne. The consensus top corner in the draft but his combine numbers were average. I remember thinking on draft night if he was that good, why was he falling out of the top 5.
I dont know about that. His SPARQ was like 98 percentile. Claiborne couldnt sniff that percentile on his best day. Okudah will be good I just dont know if he is 3rd overall pick good.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
I dont know about that. His SPARQ was like 98 percentile. Claiborne couldnt sniff that percentile on his best day. Okudah will be good I just dont know if he is 3rd overall pick good.
You might be confusing Okuda with Henderson. Some scouts have Henderson rated higher. It’s hard to judge Okuda because Ohio St. is loaded with pass rushers. A red flag for me is his lack of turnovers. He did play well against Clemson. Would have loved to see him against LSU.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
The way that Dallas usually grades the draft prospects, they rate players by round. There is rarely very many first round rated players at 17. If Ruiz is a second round prospect on their board and the first round rated players are off the board, Ruiz would carry the same second round grade as everybody else, so it wouldn’t be a reach by their standards. I haven’t looked at Ruiz personally, but he is no different than any other draft prospect that can be a boom or bust. Ruiz’s chances of being a bust is no greater than any other prospect. I would guess from your tone that you don’t want to spend another top pick in the OL. I am different, especially when it comes to centers. Usually centers are pretty easy to grade and the chances of them being busts are not that high. The guy is big, mean and can block on runs and passes from what I have seen. Five years from now, nobody will remember if he was drafted at the 17th position. I don.’the find a Ruiz pick as being much different than the Frederick pick years ago, but I did know a lot more about Frederick because I had been studying his play for the previous two years. I had much rather see Dallas draft the player they really want instead of trying to get cute be trading back.
Actually I have done a mock with a OT at 17 so I'm not in that group that doesn't want to take OL with another high pick. You make good points as far as draft board but my problem is Ruiz isn't a top 40 pick on my board. He isn't a better prospect than frederick when he came out. Again, that's my opinion and the way I graded prospects.

I said I'm not against taking Ruiz if that is the way Dallas goes but it's a huge reach at 17 in my opinion. Many more better prospects on my board.

cowboyec

Reaction score
I see 4 receivers they could take. Lamb, Juedy, Ruggs and Jefferson. At least one of those will be available and I hope Denver does take Ruiz at 15 so Dallas gets a better player that falls to them Haha
one day...i hope we get that Smu Pony from them...Courtland Sutton.