Drafting QBs in the first round

Galian Beast

Reaction score
The obsession with drafting a QB in the first round as a cure all never seems to die. Here is a list of QBs drafting in the first round since Romo became a starter in 2006.

Blake Bortles
Johnny Manziel
Teddy Bridgewater

EJ Manuel

Andrew Luck
Robert Griffin
Ryan Tannehill
Brandon Weeden

Cam Newton
Jake Locker
Blaine Gabbert
Christian Ponder

Sam Bradford
Tim Tebow

Matthew Stafford
Mark Sanchez
Josh Freeman

Matt Ryan
Joe Flacco

JaMarcus Russell
Brady Quinn

Vince Young
Matt Leinart
Jay Cutler

On this list the only two really good QBs are Cam Newton and Andrew Luck, and Newton might have been run out of town before this year (he has a great defense helping him as well). Andrew Luck has not been as good as advertised. Matt Ryan is pretty good. Almost all of these players are complete failures though.

We have a chance to get a really dynamic player on offense and defense, someone who could actually help the team immediately, or we could trade down and get multiple quality players, and people want to reach for underwhelming QBs because we don't have a quality backup?

That's ridiculous.

reddyuta

Reaction score
ridiculous thread imo.If you look at the most starting Qbs in the league then you will find that most are first or 2nd Rd picks,there is reason for that and that is they are more talented.you cant expect to hit on a Tony romo by sitting on *** and not drafting the most important position on the team.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
The obsession with drafting a QB in the first round as a cure all never seems to die. Here is a list of QBs drafting in the first round since Romo became a starter in 2006.

Blake Bortles
Johnny Manziel
Teddy Bridgewater

EJ Manuel

Andrew Luck
Robert Griffin
Ryan Tannehill
Brandon Weeden

Cam Newton
Jake Locker
Blaine Gabbert
Christian Ponder

Sam Bradford
Tim Tebow

Matthew Stafford
Mark Sanchez
Josh Freeman

Matt Ryan
Joe Flacco

JaMarcus Russell
Brady Quinn

Vince Young
Matt Leinart
Jay Cutler

On this list the only two really good QBs are Cam Newton and Andrew Luck, and Newton might have been run out of town before this year (he has a great defense helping him as well). Andrew Luck has not been as good as advertised. Matt Ryan is pretty good. Almost all of these players are complete failures though.

We have a chance to get a really dynamic player on offense and defense, someone who could actually help the team immediately, or we could trade down and get multiple quality players, and people want to reach for underwhelming QBs because we don't have a quality backup?

That's ridiculous.

Ryan and Flacco are pretty good in their own right, too.

The jury is still out on Bortles and Bridgewater, but both made huge strides this year. Bortles looked dominate at times with no weapons. Tannehill has shown flashes too, he just needs to be more consistent.

I get what you're saying though and don't completely disagree. I really don't trust this staff to get the most out of any player regardless of position or spot picked. That is the biggest problem. I would rather spend that first on someone who looks ready to play than trust this staff to teach and train a young quarterback how to be a pro.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
ridiculous thread imo.If you look at the most starting Qbs in the league then you will find that most are first or 2nd Rd picks,there is reason for that and that is they are more talented.you cant expect to hit on a Tony romo by sitting on *** and not drafting the most important position on the team.

Ridiculous because you weren't paying attention, too busy trying to put together a straw man.

I'm not saying you can't or shouldn't draft a QB in the first round, what I am saying is that I wouldn't reach for a QB just because you think you need a backup or to replace Romo in a few years. THAT'S ridiculous.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Or we can wait and take the EJ Manuel ilk with the 17th overall pick because he is the best QB in the draft and we are absolutely desperate

MarkP88

Reaction score

The jury is still out on Bortles and Bridgewater, but both made huge strides this year. Bortles looked dominate at times with no weapons. Tannehill has shown flashes too, he just needs to be more consistent.

I get what you're saying though and don't completely disagree. I really don't trust this staff to get the most out of any player regardless of position or spot picked. That is the biggest problem. I would rather spend that first on someone who looks ready to play than trust this staff to teach and train a young quarterback how to be a pro.
Flacco has won a Super Bowl, for Pete's sake. He and Ryan are both good players. If you told me we could get a player of their caliber at #4, I'd be more than happy with it. Stafford is also very good, and both Bridgwater and Bortles are promising so far.

Not considering a QB in the first round increases the likelihood we'll get caught with our pants down when Tony has to walk away.

reddyuta

Reaction score
Ridiculous because you weren't paying attention, too busy trying to put together a straw man.

I'm not saying you can't or shouldn't draft a QB in the first round, what I am saying is that I wouldn't reach for a QB just because you think you need a backup or to replace Romo in a few years. THAT'S ridiculous.

i dont think so.you presume that there is no Qb worth a first Rd pick,that is flat out wrong.we do need a back and we need to think about Romo replacement now rather than be forced to draft one when Romo retires.thats how you end up with QBs like Christian ponder.this is a very important draft for our scouting department,if they pass on a Qb when we have the 4th pick and if they wrong than it will be catastrophic for the franchise.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
I don't care about drafting a QB in the first round. I do care about drafting a mediocre QB prospect in the top 10.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
i dont think so.you presume that there is no Qb worth a first Rd pick,that is flat out wrong.we do need a back and we need to think about Romo replacement now rather than be forced to draft one when Romo retires.thats how you end up with QBs like Christian ponder.this is a very important draft for our scouting department,if they pass on a Qb when we have the 4th pick and if they wrong than it will be catastrophic for the franchise.

Look at the list I posted, they're almost all Christian Ponders. Having a high draft pick doesn't mean the QB is better...

mattjames2010

Reaction score
blah, blah, blah... I'll say it again, we've drafted all these other positions but have come away with ZERO SUPER BOWLS. It's time to draft a 1st round QB.

Haha, and drafting a QB that will be on the bench for two or three years will be our way to the promised land?

Galian Beast

Reaction score
blah, blah, blah... I'll say it again, we've drafted all these other positions but have come away with ZERO SUPER BOWLS. It's time to draft a 1st round QB.

How many of these teams have won super bowls because they drafted a QB in RD1?

reddyuta

Reaction score
Look at the list I posted, they're almost all Christian Ponders. Having a high draft pick doesn't mean the QB is better...

your expectations are astronomical,you expect Andrew lucks to just pop put every draft when they only come out once in a decade at best.

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
You could expand this and do it with every QB drafted in every round of the draft and you'd still come away with the simple fact that the 1st round yields more starting QB's than every other round.

The simple answer is not to play the game and draft any QB in any round as we've done only three times the past 25 years; that seems to have gotten us far.

HappyOnions

Datwin
Reaction score

Bortles has plenty of weapons...

Galian Beast

Reaction score
your expectations are astronomical,you expect Andrew lucks to just pop put every draft when they only come out once in a decade at best.

Again, even looking at Andrew Luck, he isn't as good as he was advertised to be, not yet at least and that is 4 years in.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
You could expand this and do it with every QB drafted in every round of the draft and you'd still come away with the simple fact that the 1st round yields more starting QB's than every other round.

The simple answer is not to play the game and draft any QB in any round as we've done only three times the past 25 years; that seems to have gotten us far.

A good majority of those years, we had our franchise QB. I guess if Romo was drafted we would have went places by now?

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

The Cowboys have shown recently that they are arent going reach for a player just because of need. They arent going to take a Christian Ponder or a Jake Locker at #4 just to take a QB.

If they evaluate Lynch and Goff and rate them as top 5 picks ( and there is a good chance they will) there is a no reason for them not to draft them

Galian Beast

Reaction score

Again, not saying that. Please stop relying on straw man arguments to make your points.

I'm not saying don't draft a QB in any round. I'm saying with what is available in the 2016 draft, and where we are picking, drafting any of those quarterbacks in round 1 would be foolish.

zack

Reaction score

Blake Bortles
Johnny Manziel
Teddy Bridgewater

EJ Manuel

Andrew Luck
Robert Griffin
Ryan Tannehill
Brandon Weeden

Cam Newton
Jake Locker
Blaine Gabbert
Christian Ponder

Sam Bradford
Tim Tebow

Matthew Stafford
Mark Sanchez
Josh Freeman

Matt Ryan
Joe Flacco

JaMarcus Russell
Brady Quinn

Vince Young
Matt Leinart
Jay Cutler

That's ridiculous.

Thank you. Agree with you a 100%.