Drafting QBs in the first round

DandyDon1722

It's been a good 'un, ain't it?
Reaction score
How many of them are actually good?

Yep. The I think you need to really separate the "can't miss" guys from first rounders.

Luck, Mariotta, Newton, Winston, Manning. Sure you get the Ryan Leafs and RG 3's once in awhile but we all pretty much know who these guys are when they come out. The problem you have to have the first or second pick to get them or make a big deal to move up.

Outside of these guy (with the occasional miss) everything is a crapshoot even later in the first round. You either have to be very fortunate or very bad.

We seem to be neither.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
That's exactly how you wreck teams. Especially while you already have a franchise QB at the helm.
Wreck a .500 team over twenty years? That's already been done for two decades there's nothing else to wreck. I don't know if you witnessed Dallas Cowboys football this past season, but we are FAR from competing for any Super Bowl if we couldn't even win 2 games while Romo was out. Now is the time to get that 1st round QB and allow him to learn under Romo. Just relax, and in 4 years we'll both celebrate a Super Bowl. Okay, that last part was wishful thinking.

reddyuta

Reaction score
How do you figure this?

you just said Luck was not that good because he has won only one playoff game and yet to win a SB.Romo has won just 2 playoff games in his entire career.I am just trying to handle on your ideal Qb here.

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
Not that it matters in some ways because future drafts are far away and prone to much change, but the upcoming classes for the next few years aren't too rosy at this juncture either. There's not a generational talent like Luck anywhere right now in the college game.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
Past performance is not necessarily indicative of future results.

Basing any draft decision on how other players have turned out or not turned out is shortsighted. You base it on your scouting of these players in this draft. If your scouts say Player X is worthy of the No. 4 overall pick, you don't bypass Player X just because Player C didn't work out for some other team back in 2011 or whatever. Either you trust your scouts or not. If not, get new scouts. Don't ignore your own scouting because of someone else's failures.
I totally agree with this. Now I will say this. If they don't think these guys are any good, then of course we should go in another direction, but I think Goff or Lynch can do something. Obviously it depends on coaching as well, but having the 4th pick is a golden opportunity. Especially since we still have a pro bowl type of QB already in our disposal and a couple of other high picks and free agent pick ups should help us go very far in the playoffs next season, providing Romo stays upright.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Why do we need a "top 5" pick? Unless we do something stupid, we should have a first round pick.

Again, these two QBs in this draft are nothing special. I am telling you, when Romo hangs it up, there will be 3-4 QBs projected in the first or early second with the talent level of the two in this draft. The last 5 QBs to win the Super Bowl

Aaron Rodgers - First Round, pick 24
Eli Manning - First round, pick 1
Joe Flacco - First round, pick 18
Russel Wilson - Third Round, pick 75
Tom Brady - Sixth Round

Go back a little further than that, how many QBs that won a Super Bowl were top 5 picks?

You can't say there will be QBs there when Romo is gone. You take one now while you can.

And Brady was a 6th round pick, because he rarely seen the field in college. No one knew about his capabilities except himself.

reddyuta

Reaction score
I totally agree with this. Now I will say this. If they don't think these guys are any good, then of course we should go in another direction, but I think Goff or Lynch can do something. Obviously it depends on coaching as well, but having the 4th pick is a golden opportunity. Especially since we still have a pro bowl type of QB already in our disposal and a couple of other high picks and free agent pick ups should help us go very far in the playoffs next season, providing Romo stays upright.

this i agree but it would be a huge monumental mistake if they pass on Goff and he turns out to be a stud,they really need to do their best in this draft.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The number of people that think drafting a QB in the first round guarantees Super Bowl success is frightening.

Drafting a QB just to be drafting a QB in the first round is a huge mistake.

Follow your draft grades and follow your board. If the best player is a QB when you are on the clock take him.

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Pats draft Garapolo when they have the best qb ever, GB drafts Rodgers when they have Favre. 2 great qbs who never got hurt. We have a 36 year old qb who has had 2 back surgeries and 2 broken clavicles in 2 years and you think we should cross our fingers and wait?? Dumbest thing I have ever read on here!

mattjames2010

Reaction score
You can't say there will be QBs there when Romo is gone. You take one now while you can.

And Brady was a 6th round pick, because he rarely seen the field in college. No one knew about his capabilities except himself.

You're saying there will be no prospects when Romo hangs it up? There will be QBs, and there will be quite a few projected for the first and second round, like there are nearly every year.

And Brady was a sixth round pick for a lot of reasons, the same as Romo was an undrafted FA for a lot of reasons. They weren't very good college players,

Derinyar

Reaction score
What I lean toward is beyond even the draft board, if the scouts love one/both of these QBs then if you pass them by you make a mistake. Passing by QBs earlier in the time since 2005 wasn't a bad decision because we had a young franchise QB. The reason I think you consider drafting a QB high is that you're wanting to avoid the absolute wasteland that is the NFL without a franchise QB.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
you just said Luck was not that good because he has won only one playoff game and yet to win a SB.Romo has won just 2 playoff games in his entire career.I am just trying to handle on your ideal Qb here.

I'm saying Luck isn't as good as his advertising was. People were trying to tank their seasons to get him. Romo went undrafted. Huge difference.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
I'm not trying to be an A-hole here guys, I just know how important a QB is. It is the single most important position in all of team sports. This year, we've seen a glimpse of what life is like without one. Romo is damaged. His psyche is also damaged. I saw the guy turn and fall on more than one occasion when the rush was coming at him, and that's normal. He's been beaten to a pulp. His body is saying, no more. Next year, we may be picking 13th and all good QBs are off the board.

We can try to get a bargain and pick one in the second, and it may work out but I'd rather put my odds on what is considered a top 2 QB. These other positions we're wanting can be had later on. When we drafted Ware, we thought that was the key. It wasn't. Without a top tier QB, you're just going through the motions as a franchise. This Bosa kid is supposed to be the next JJ Watt. However, Watt isn't winning any Super Bowls. You win with great QB play, not these other positions.

Of course we need these other play makers but it starts at the top with a top QB, and those who say these QBs aren't the answer is basically saying they can predict the future. 4th pick in the draft, we need to come away with Goff or Lynch or anyone else who evolves over the next several months. Now if we can move down, a team actually wants to move up, and we can still get one of those top guys, I'm all for it but I'd rather not gamble like that.

reddyuta

Reaction score
The number of people that think drafting a QB in the first round guarantees Super Bowl success is frightening.

Follow your draft grades and follow your board. If the best player is a QB when you are on the clock take him.

nobody is saying anything about a SB .without a good QB you are nothing,you cant even beat up on 3 pathetic NFC east teams.

CWR

Reaction score

Yes I think you follow your board and the grades you've spent alot of time and work putting together. However, I also think you have to be willing to not be completely honest with it and take a qb that may have graded out a few picks lower in order to fill that need.

sbark

Reaction score
The Cowboys front office has to get the thought mentality Jimmy Johnson had. He was able to obtain the #1 overall pick from the Raiders (don't remember the year) with a big love for Rocket Ismail ---who took off for the Canadian league anyways. I remember Johnsons quote........He wanted a player that is virtually guaranteed to play for 10 years at a high level, he felt that is the purpose of a high 1st round pick---he took Russel Maryland.

The high 1st round of the NFL draft is about getting a productive player that will contribute for 10 years--a bluest of the blue chip player..............not a crap shoot on a player at a position that is always overvalued, and the teams that are pereniall loosers are always forced to take higher than they should (Cleveland).

McClay and Stephen have shown they have that thought process and have shown patience, I expect it to continue and if they get a chance at a spread offence rish, to parlay it into additional picks