Drama Sells

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
His last practice he threw 3 or more interceptions . . . I don't see how this is gonna end well for him . . . He never had good mechanics He has always been all arm . . .

If he struggles . . . Will He still be afforded the "Benefit of the Doubt" with this built in excuse or will He finally take the heat from the Loyalists?

No. We are in the winning business. If the Cowboys pulled another Jaylon with Dak it will destroy this franchise for considerable time.

This better be an over reaction and not Jerry doing the country club act.

This draft had 3 stud QBs they could’ve moved up for and they were fools to not use them as leverage in negotiations anyways.

Justin Fields is a more talented Dak and would’ve been cheaper with healthy ankles. (I would’ve moved up for Wilson or Lance though)

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
Fair enough but I do find it odd that a radio host was reporting this back in February.

Regardless.. If there really is meat to this story and Dallas still caved to his every demand the this team is more poorly managed than I could ever imagine.

This could simply be a reference to the second surgery on the ankle that the team kept out of the media until Hard Knocks.

Wasn’t the surgery in Jan? This report is Feb— and indeed it would have been a HUGE news story and would have freaked everyone out over the status of the ankle— especially in the midst of a long term negotiation.

The guy references Dak getting cut in June— and this was reported before the deal was signed. Say what you want about JJ— but one thing is certain: the man cares about making money and didn’t get to be a gagillionaire by throwing money down a toilet.

If Dak was really damaged goods— do you honestly think they would commit that kind of cheddar to him?

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
This could simply be a reference to the second surgery on the ankle that the team kept out of the media until Hard Knocks.

Wasn’t the surgery in Jan? This report is Feb— and indeed it would have been a HUGE news story and would have freaked everyone out over the status of the ankle— especially in the midst of a long term negotiation.

The guy references Dak getting cut in June— and this was reported before the deal was signed. Say what you want about JJ— but one thing is certain: the man cares about making money and didn’t get to be a gagillionaire by throwing money down a toilet.

If Dak was really damaged goods— do you honestly think they would commit that kind of cheddar to him?

Jaylon Smith………………..

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
I don't understand how difficult it can be for some people to grasp the obvious.

Dak is NOT significantly injured. The Cowboys are merely playing it safe since the muscle strain is under his throwing arm. This falls under the same reasoning as not allowing Amari Cooper to run the full route tree until his ankle fully healed. Tossing a couple passes and handing off to Tony Pollard two or three times tonight wouldn't get Dak any more ready for the regular season. But what if he got twisted around tonight on an awkward sack and re-injures the muscle for no reason; when there's still about three weeks left for it to heal completely?

Let's not over-complicate things and look for conspiracies where there are none. Everything about the Dak situation screams "obvious".

Hardline

Reaction score
And journalists and talking heads. Clicks equals money and it's mostly sensationalism for click bait. He'll be good to go week 1.
Where there's smoke,there's fire.
If this wasn't an issue the media wouldn't have nothing to sensationalize.
This is very real.

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
If you say so.

I hope Dak’s ok. I feel like they got ripped off bigtime and that’s assuming he’s healthy.

Totally different injuries and recoveries. Totally different physical requirements for the positions they play as well.

Jaylon’s injury was much worse as it involved nerve damage. His was potentially career threatening, Dak’s while gruesome and nasty— never entered that category.

Also— even if Dak lost some mobility— that would be less of a liability for a QB whereas speed and agility are essential traits for a LB.

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
Both have gimpy legs and both got paid . . . Now there appears to be buyers remorse with Jaylon . . . time will tell with Dak

As I said— if they trade for Foles, Dalton, or bring in Bortles— there may be more happening with Dak. If they are content with Gilbert at backup QB— that speaks volumes about their confidence in Dak’s availability going fwd

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think the anti-Daksters are nervous that he is / will be 100% for the opening game.
They seem to want him to be injured, so they can say they were correct.

All we can do is wait and see what happens. However it will flood the front page with threads rehashing it over and over until he steps on the field in TB.

NotForLong

Reaction score
As I said— if they trade for Foles, Dalton, or bring in Bortles— there may be more happening with Dak. If they are content with Gilbert at backup QB— that speaks volumes about their confidence in Dak’s availability going fwd
This is a 100% true and we will not know until the end of next week because Chicago will be holding out for the best possible trade option from all 32 teams. . . I doubt Dalton comes back here but Foles would be interesting . . .

I will be keeping an eye outo_O to see how it plays out.

I feel he needs all the work he can get or he is gonna be rusty the 1st couple of games to start the season. . . I dont see how holding him out is advantageous for a simplistic Injury.

It has to be more serious

NotForLong

Reaction score
I think the anti-Daksters are nervous that he is / will be 100% for the opening game.
They seem to want him to be injured, so they can say they were correct.

All we can do is wait and see what happens. However it will flood the front page with threads rehashing it over and over until he steps on the field in TB.
Or maybe the Dak Loyalists want him to be Slightly injured so they can have an excuse when he goes out against Tampa . . . rusty as all hell and gets creamed

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Or maybe the Dak Loyalists want him to be Slightly injured so they can have an excuse when he goes out against Tampa . . . rusty as all hell and gets creamed

:facepalm:
This is just a bad take, who in the hell wants him injured except the haters.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Storylines. Drama. It’s what every good show on television has. Hard knocks is no different. The Dak injury gives them a storyline, and the drama is created. I say his shoulder is a non issue. But it makes for compelling television.
I'm not buying their "story" because I can see the reality of the situation does not match. Beating on the drama drum is not always necessary to sell product. Sometimes the product is so good, it sells itself if you just tell the truth. We have a good story to tell so just tell it.

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
This is a 100% true and we will not know until the end of next week because Chicago will be holding out for the best possible trade option from all 32 teams. . . I doubt Dalton comes back here but Foles would be interesting . . .

I will be keeping an eye outo_O to see how it plays out.

I feel he needs all the work he can get or he is gonna be rusty the 1st couple of games to start the season. . . I dont see how holding him out is advantageous for a simplistic Injury.

It has to be more serious

Time will tell…. You take a risk either way.

Either risking injury/aggravation during preseason, or more rust to knock off in week 1.

I have the game as a L anyway— if they somehow pull off the unexpected W— it’s gravy. I am treating week 1 as a warmup game for Dak as we head into week 2 lol

Flamma

Reaction score
Storylines. Drama. It’s what every good show on television has. Hard knocks is no different. The Dak injury gives them a storyline, and the drama is created. I say his shoulder is a non issue. But it makes for compelling television.

Of course. Maybe they're hoping the Bucs think Dak won't be at full strength in week 1. The Bucs DBs will be told Dak can't throw past 15 yards, so play underneath. Yeah, they should go with that.