News: DT Malik McDowell talking to the Cowboys?

AKATheRake

Reaction score
I'll give McCoy Crawford's money plus $1 million if he's willing to take it this season.

Sydla

Reaction score
That's apples to axle grease. Looking at McDowell is kicking tires hoping for the possibility of getting a talented guy with very little financial commitment. McCoy is not in the same category.

But if they are looking they clearly think they could use a guy of his talent. So why not pay more and get a guy that can actually play?

And for the record, I have zero problems with the idea of taking a flier on a project. I backed taking Smith and Gregory because I am always down for rolling the dice on talent.

But if they are looking for more DT help, they would be wise to kick the tires on the guy that actually can play. And despite all the chatter that he was gonna get snapped up quickly with big offers, the market is largely cool on McCoy and I suspect he'll end up signing a pretty fair, likely short term deal.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
But if they are looking they clearly think they could use a guy of his talent. So why not pay more and get a guy that can actually play?

And for the record, I have zero problems with the idea of taking a flier on a project. I backed taking Smith and Gregory because I am always down for rolling the dice on talent.

But if they are looking for more DT help, they would be wise to kick the tires on the guy that actually can play. And despite all the chatter that he was gonna get snapped up quickly with big offers, the market is largely cool on McCoy and I suspect he'll end up signing a pretty fair, likely short term deal.

Where is it "cool"? The two days he spent in Baltimore on Tuesday and Wednesday after he left Cleveland on Friday, followed by a visit to Carolina? That's the opposite of cool.

Sydla

Reaction score
Where is it "cool"? The two days he spent in Baltimore on Tuesday and Wednesday after he left Cleveland on Friday, followed by a visit to Carolina? That's the opposite of cool.

Where are the big offers? He left Cleveland with no contract. Ravens haven't made an offer. Also, the beat writer for the Browns (Cabot) said that when all is said and done, a deal with him could come in "under $10 million" which would seemingly refute the stories of him having $11MM+ offers and long term deals on the table.

And none of this excuses why the Cowboys haven't at least kicked the tires on him themselves and brought him in. Foolish front office. He's a guy that takes this DL from good to probably one of the best DLs in football.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
So let me get this straight.

We may still be kicking the tires on a guy with no track record, an injury history and questionable attitude,but won't kick the tires on McCoy, who is much better, has a better attitude, etc.

Makes sense. LOL.

Oh that's right............ McCoy is old and will cost money, McDowell is young and cheap, just what we are looking for.

I think when we made Trysten Hill our priority pick in the draft, we were through kicking tires. What you see is what you get on the DL.

J_Allen

Reaction score
Has he also beaten his wife? I'm sure Jerry will sign him ASAP if he has.

I hear Jerry is also trying to start a work release program where inmates play for the Cowboys on Sunday and then go back to jail afterwards.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Where are the big offers? He left Cleveland with no contract. Ravens haven't made an offer. Also, the beat writer for the Browns (Cabot) said that when all is said and done, a deal with him could come in "under $10 million" which would seemingly refute the stories of him having $11MM+ offers and long term deals on the table.

He's clearly out for the best offer that he can get, why would he take the first offer a team makes, knowing that there are other suitors? He's clearly leveraging his market for the best deal that he can find.

And none of this excuses why the Cowboys haven't at least kicked the tires on him themselves and brought him in. Foolish front office. He's a guy that takes this DL from good to probably one of the best DLs in football.

And he's also on the downside of his career and looking for that last, best deal that he can get. The market for him is stronger than what people had assumed it would be, and the player is out for all that he can get in that last deal of his career. And that's clearly more than a one year deal for under $10 million. I wouldn't be involved in that bidding war either. This team has more mouths to feed and long term planning to deal with.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Found this:

McDowell attended nine private workouts and visits with the Baltimore Ravens, Dallas Cowboys, Detroit Lions, Indianapolis Colts, Miami Dolphins, Minnesota Vikings, Philadelphia Eagles, Seattle Seahawks, and Washington Commanders. NFL draft experts and analysts projected McDowell to be a first round pick. He was ranked the top defensive tackle available in the draft by ESPN and NFL analyst Bucky Brooks, the second best defensive tackle by Sports Illustrated and Pro Football Focus, and was ranked the third best interior defensive lineman by NFL media analyst Mike Mayock.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Obviously they can't always pay the money to get a better guy, and with Dak, Zeke, Amari and Byron still yet to extend, they may not feel they can add McCoy into the mix.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Found this:

McDowell attended nine private workouts and visits with the Baltimore Ravens, Dallas Cowboys, Detroit Lions, Indianapolis Colts, Miami Dolphins, Minnesota Vikings, Philadelphia Eagles, Seattle Seahawks, and Washington Commanders. NFL draft experts and analysts projected McDowell to be a first round pick. He was ranked the top defensive tackle available in the draft by ESPN and NFL analyst Bucky Brooks, the second best defensive tackle by Sports Illustrated and Pro Football Focus, and was ranked the third best interior defensive lineman by NFL media analyst Mike Mayock.

If he was drafted strictly on talent and his character/work-ethic issues were not considered, then he likely would have been a top 10 pick.

Sydla

Reaction score
Obviously they can't always pay the money to get a better guy, and with Dak, Zeke, Amari and Byron still yet to extend, they may not feel they can add McCoy into the mix.

And if McCoy signs a one year deal? That argument would be foolhardy.

eromeopolk

Reaction score
Old news regarding the Cowboys interest. New news about being sued. He had head and eye injuries. The head trauma is the issue as the NFL has been settling lawsuits regarding concussions.

cern

Reaction score
So let me get this straight.

We may still be kicking the tires on a guy with no track record, an injury history and questionable attitude,but won't kick the tires on McCoy, who is much better, has a better attitude, etc.

Makes sense. LOL.

Oh that's right............ McCoy is old and will cost money, McDowell is young and cheap, just what we are looking for.
Jaylon Smith ring a bell?

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
https://amp.detroitnews.com/amp/1279244001?__twitter_impression=true

McDowell reportedly visited with the Cowboys but he still has not signed with an NFL team.

“The biggest question with him, is the medical question — making sure we’re comfortable with that,” Cowboys coach Jason Garrett said in March. “As a young player, there’s some uncertainty about him because he hasn’t played but when you go back to the evaluation coming out of school, you say, ‘Boy, there was a lot to like about him.’ We’re just in the process of trying to find out more about him.”

They saw the player, reviewed the medical info, probably did some poking and prodding and McDowell left the building, unsigned. Take that as a hint. Nothing happening for a damned good reason