Dual threat QB

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
The read option along with the threat Ingram presents at RB has made Jackson even more dangerous. Once defenders hesitate and get leaning the wrong way Jackson abuses them. We all remember this spin move from last season. It has to be a defensive coordinator’s nightmare facing a QB that can take it the distance from anywhere on the field. Not only does Jackson have speed but he has great vision.

Sevenup3000

Reaction score
I am interested how he does this year after tape of last year is digested. Let’s see if he duplicated it or is a one year wonder.

That is literally what you people said last year...before he went on to become head of one of the league's most efficient offenses ever. Was there not any tape for coaches to digest last year?

kskboys

Reaction score
Dual threat QB's are always preferred.

Problem is, Jackson is not much of a passing threat at present. After KC showed that he can't pass outside, will be majorly interesting to see where he goes from here.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Dual threat QB's are always preferred.

Problem is, Jackson is not much of a passing threat at present.

A league leading 36 TD passes makes him a passing threat. He didn’t throw for a lot of yards but put the ball in the endzone. He had three games with 5 TD passes.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
That is literally what you people said last year...before he went on to become head of one of the league's most efficient offenses ever. Was there not any tape for coaches to digest last year?
The dude stunk his rookie year. Now he’s played lights out last year, it’s a whole new set of tapes to digest. We’ll see if he duplicates it.

By the way, I am not “you people”. I only claim responsibility for what I say and last year I didn’t say anything about Jackson.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
IMO, the latter ones you mention are more like decent scramblers than dual threat QBs. For instance, Dak can make a play now and then in open space, and he can often outrun a defender long enough to extend the play for a receiver to get open, but he's not someone other teams fear will run all over them.

He used to be more of a running threat till Garrett tied a ball and chain to his ankle to keep him in the pocket.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
I think a modern day QB at the very least needs to buy time in the pocket.

If they can run then that is huge too.

Mahomes is the prototype.

I remember that was Romo's forte buying time in the pocket or around the pocket and yet there were a lot of people here that used to just rip on Romo.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Dual threat QB, how many are really out there? How many of these so called dual threat QBs i.e Lamar Jackson, Dak Prescott, Russell Wilson even go as far as to say Josh Allen even Carson Wentz. How many are REALLY dual threat? And what makes them so? Completion percentage? Rushing yards? Or Rushing TDs? Maybe even buying time in the pocket? Scrambling per say. Anyways how many do y’all think there Really are? And name the top 3

1. Patrick Mahomes 2. Russell Wilson 3. Lamar Jackson some close but not good enough runners for me are Josh Allen, Wentz, Dak. I left kyler off the list only because I haven’t seen enough of him yet as far as passing. Although I do think he is elite in that category. Another guy I left off is cam newton I just don’t think he is duel threat his passing abilities are iffy at best.

Seems like every QB is a dual threat against us. The defense was eaten alive by running QBs this year.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Dual threat QB, how many are really out there? How many of these so called dual threat QBs i.e Lamar Jackson, Dak Prescott, Russell Wilson even go as far as to say Josh Allen even Carson Wentz. How many are REALLY dual threat? And what makes them so? Completion percentage? Rushing yards? Or Rushing TDs? Maybe even buying time in the pocket? Scrambling per say. Anyways how many do y’all think there Really are? And name the top 3

1. Patrick Mahomes 2. Russell Wilson 3. Lamar Jackson some close but not good enough runners for me are Josh Allen, Wentz, Dak. I left kyler off the list only because I haven’t seen enough of him yet as far as passing. Although I do think he is elite in that category. Another guy I left off is cam newton I just don’t think he is duel threat his passing abilities are iffy at best.

Anyone got a stats page with QB run stats?

You can get a sense of it from the RUN QBR component at ESPN. Looking at the list, I saw some familiar names that abused us this season.
https://www.espn.com/nfl/qbr/_/seasontype/2/sort/cwepaRuns/dir/desc

Last edited:

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
The kid from Oklahoma (Jalen Hurts) is projected to go late 3rd round. He's more dual threat than what is on the current roster

If he fell into the 4th I'd be interested.

Churn running QBs. Your backup isn't going to be a great passer. They aren't going to get the snaps to really run your offense. But you can throw in anyone and if they can run, they can run.

And we've got such a good offense to pair with a running QB.

Blackrain

Reaction score

Many are duel threat out of college then evolve into more pocket passers . Some can pick up those tough yards like Dak others are race horses like Jackson many fall in between safe to say in todays game an ability to run is an advantage .

In todays game it almost easier to say who is not Duel threat Hey both Mannings defiantly were not but reached the top of the game Brady isnt neither is Goff How about Rodgers and Breese what are they considered Dont see Rivers as a runner . Nick Foles not really
Jackson is the runner like Randal Cunningham , The Ultimate Weapon , for a short time

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
He used to be more of a running threat till Garrett tied a ball and chain to his ankle to keep him in the pocket.
No, I think it was Dak's decision to run less. There were times when clearly the best decision he could make would be to run, but he didn't want to. Don't get me wrong, I don't want him out there taking unnecessary risks, but sometimes he needs to run, if for no other reason than to keep the defense guessing.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Many are duel threat out of college then evolve into more pocket passers . Some can pick up those tough yards like Dak others are race horses like Jackson many fall in between safe to say in todays game an ability to run is an advantage .

In todays game it almost easier to say who is not Duel threat Hey both Mannings defiantly were not but reached the top of the game Brady isnt neither is Goff How about Rodgers and Breese what are they considered Dont see Rivers as a runner . Nick Foles not really
Jackson is the runner like Randal Cunningham , The Ultimate Weapon , for a short time

Let me add a little something to your comments. In the past the real dual threat QB's didn't have long good careers. Going back to Cunningham then Vick and then Newton once their legs were gone, they weren't that good of passers so their usefulness as starting QB's also diminished. Ya Vick tried to hang on as long as he could but the last 3 years in the NFL all he was is a backup QB. He then tried the AAF but that went belly up in less than a year. Now Newton wants to try hanging on but will be a backup QB. These dual threat QB's have a short shelf life for QB's.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
No, I think it was Dak's decision to run less. There were times when clearly the best decision he could make would be to run, but he didn't want to. Don't get me wrong, I don't want him out there taking unnecessary risks, but sometimes he needs to run, if for no other reason than to keep the defense guessing.
Business decision.

blumayne38

Reaction score
The kid from Oklahoma (Jalen Hurts) is projected to go late 3rd round. He's more dual threat than what is on the current roster

If he fell into the 4th I'd be interested.
100% he also has a huge chip on his shoulder

blumayne38

Reaction score
Let me add a little something to your comments. In the past the real dual threat QB's didn't have long good careers. Going back to Cunningham then Vick and then Newton once their legs were gone, they weren't that good of passers so their usefulness as starting QB's also diminished. Ya Vick tried to hang on as long as he could but the last 3 years in the NFL all he was is a backup QB. He then tried the AAF but that went belly up in less than a year. Now Newton wants to try hanging on but will be a backup QB. These dual threat QB's have a short shelf life for QB's.
I agree which is why I said how many are really dual threat....if you aren’t good enough a passer you just can’t be considered dual threat imo