Dual threat QB

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
What? Dak is not a dual-threat QB? Let's take a look...

Dak is definitely a dual-threat QB. He simply has not run with the football as much lately because Garrett was doing to Dak what Garrett did to Romo...and that is to take away his running attack (or limit it) while turning Dak more into a pocket passer.

Make no mistake, though, Dak certainly is a dual-threat QB and can run much more with the football if allowed to.

I forget about some of those games. Dak ran all over the Jaguars in that one clip.

glimmerman

Reaction score
I don’t think of wentz as a runner and actually not Wilson much anymore. Heck last year Dak barely ran and it was ticking me off. He was afraid to run and get injured while not having the security of a contract. Then at the end of the season he ended up getting injured. Hesitating to take off will do that.

GenoT

Reaction score
You think you’ll like him just as much at $35 million per year as you did at $465k or $1 million per year?
My liking Dak (I do) has nothing to do with it. The Joneses are all-in on him and he’s gonna get paid BIG.

As long as the FO can make the numbers work, those numbers matter not to me.

Northern_Cowboy

Reaction score
Josh Allen has run for 1,141 yards and 17 TDs in two years. Not to mention he shredded us, he probably fits the bill as well. (though not as proficient as a passer as the names you mentioned at this point).

He was a much better passer in 2019 than he was in 2018, i would expect him to make a really big jump in 2020 as a passer too and if he does i think the Bills have found their QB for the next decade and a half

Buzzbait

Reaction score
……....Dak is definitely a dual-threat QB. He simply has not run with the football as much lately because Garrett was doing to Dak what Garrett did to Romo...and that is to take away his running attack (or limit it) while turning Dak more into a pocket passer...…..

Hey AC, totally agree that Garrett set out to try and turn Dak into a pocket passer just like he did with Romo.
Romo was very effective passing on the run, till Garrett started limiting him to the pocket, and I believe he was doing the same exact thing to Dak. Dak used to run a lot more, plus roll out and throw effectively down the sideline more than he does now. Garrett wanted a pocket passer, not a running QB, in part I assume to try and limit injuries.
But like you said, Garrett did the same thing with Dak as he did with Romo.

Last edited:

Blue64

Reaction score
Dual threat QB, how many are really out there? How many of these so called dual threat QBs i.e Lamar Jackson, Dak Prescott, Russell Wilson even go as far as to say Josh Allen even Carson Wentz. How many are REALLY dual threat? And what makes them so? Completion percentage? Rushing yards? Or Rushing TDs? Maybe even buying time in the pocket? Scrambling per say. Anyways how many do y’all think there Really are? And name the top 3

1. Patrick Mahomes 2. Russell Wilson 3. Lamar Jackson some close but not good enough runners for me are Josh Allen, Wentz, Dak. I left kyler off the list only because I haven’t seen enough of him yet as far as passing. Although I do think he is elite in that category. Another guy I left off is cam newton I just don’t think he is duel threat his passing abilities are iffy at best.
Dual threat?
Sure Dak can be a dual threat as he demonstrated in the first 3 games of the season.
Where was Mr Dual threat the rest of the season?
He showed flashes here and there, but calling him a dual threat... please
The QB’s you mentioned alongside Dak will react impulsively and make plays keeping the defense off balance.
Where was Dak’s dual threat ability against the Egaks and their depleted defence?

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Hey AC, totally agree that Garrett set out to try and turn Dak into a pocket passer just like he did with Romo.
Romo was very effective passing on the run, till Garrett started limiting him to the pocket, and I believe he was doing the same exact thing to Dak. Dak used to run a lot more, plus roll out and throw effectively down the sideline more than he does now. Garrett wanted a pocket passer, not a running QB, in part I assume to try and limit injuries.
But like you said, Garrett did the same thing with Dak as he did with Romo.
I totally agree with your reasoning, BB. It's obvious Garrett limited Dak's ability to run in order to protect him from injury. Evidently, Dak injured his throwing shoulder while on the run against the Rams. Couldn't have come at a worse time since the following week it was a do-or-die playoffs-on-the-line game at the Eagles. That sucked. We all saw how poorly Dak performed with his passing due to injury, so one could argue on Garrett's behalf. Regardless, I feel Garrett seriously limiting Dak's ability to run hurt the team this past season. There were times during several losses, Dak could have kept a drive alive had he run more with the football. I'm curious to see if Mike McCarthy will allow Dak to run much more or not?

Blackrain

Reaction score
Let me add a little something to your comments. In the past the real dual threat QB's didn't have long good careers. Going back to Cunningham then Vick and then Newton once their legs were gone, they weren't that good of passers so their usefulness as starting QB's also diminished. Ya Vick tried to hang on as long as he could but the last 3 years in the NFL all he was is a backup QB. He then tried the AAF but that went belly up in less than a year. Now Newton wants to try hanging on but will be a backup QB. These dual threat QB's have a short shelf life for QB's.

Yep they lose their legs or sustain an injury that leaves them compromised . Roger Staubach and Steve Young are examples that had long careers and made it to the top of the game .

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Yep they lose their legs or sustain an injury that leaves them compromised . Roger Staubach and Steve Young are examples that had long careers and made it to the top of the game .

Both did have longer careers for those days. Staubach had a 10 year career with in today's standards isn't real long. Also QB's back then didn't drop back and have as many attempts as the QB's today in the pass happy NFL. But both had very good careers especially for QB's that did used their legs. One other thing though they both were a little different than today's dual threat QB's because they didn't run plays that were designed for them to run. Their rushing came from scrambling when the pockets broke down.

Loso86

Reaction score
Dual threat QB, how many are really out there? How many of these so called dual threat QBs i.e Lamar Jackson, Dak Prescott, Russell Wilson even go as far as to say Josh Allen even Carson Wentz. How many are REALLY dual threat? And what makes them so? Completion percentage? Rushing yards? Or Rushing TDs? Maybe even buying time in the pocket? Scrambling per say. Anyways how many do y’all think there Really are? And name the top 3

1. Patrick Mahomes 2. Russell Wilson 3. Lamar Jackson some close but not good enough runners for me are Josh Allen, Wentz, Dak. I left kyler off the list only because I haven’t seen enough of him yet as far as passing. Although I do think he is elite in that category. Another guy I left off is cam newton I just don’t think he is duel threat his passing abilities are iffy at best.
I think Dak would be if he committed to it
He doesnt like to run though. I will say dual threat are the guys that put fear in the defense passing and running. When teams have to fear both

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
But...but...but...Dak is not a dual-threat QB! At least that is what I'm hearing on Cowboyszone.com...

So, what do you call this???

:huh:

:popcorn:

kskboys

Reaction score
He was a much better passer in 2019 than he was in 2018, i would expect him to make a really big jump in 2020 as a passer too and if he does i think the Bills have found their QB for the next decade and a half
Josh Allen, 2019: 3,089 yds/20 TD's/9INT's/58.8% comp.

Bus driver numbers, pure and simple.

kskboys

Reaction score
A league leading 36 TD passes makes him a passing threat. He didn’t throw for a lot of yards but put the ball in the endzone. He had three games with 5 TD passes.

Not really. To be a true passing threat, a QB must be able to make all throws. Right now, for whatever reason, Lamar has trouble w/ the outside throws. Makes him one dimensional.

To be seen.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The read option along with the threat Ingram presents at RB has made Jackson even more dangerous. Once defenders hesitate and get leaning the wrong way Jackson abuses them. We all remember this spin move from last season. It has to be a defensive coordinator’s nightmare facing a QB that can take it the distance from anywhere on the field. Not only does Jackson have speed but he has great vision.

Yeah, we'll see what happens next year. The Titans just gave the league a blue print on how to slow down Lamar.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I still think Lamar will get destroyed, sooner rather than later, Like all running threat QB's do. He's gonna zig when he should have zagged, and it will be into a big LBer. KNee gone.

I don't hope for it, of course. But there's a track record. I'd just rather not have my QB running willy nilly....even if he is fast and elusive. It's just a matter of time.

kskboys

Reaction score
Lamar Jackson redefined the term "dual-threat" QB. There is just him and Mahomes on that level. Russell Wilson used to be in that category as well but he is becoming more of a pocket passer since his paycheck has required him to play a more conservative game. Kyler Murray is trying too hard to be a pocket passer when he has the natural ability to be a dual-threat QB as well. Kingsbury needs to unleash that beast. Dak is not a dual-threat QB. He is a pocket passer with great escapability. Wentz, lol. Wentz is too fragile to be a dual-threat. He is always on the verge of being knocked out of the game. Cam Newton has been too injured to fairly say what he is now.
No, he didn't.

Jackson is not close to being a good passer yet. He's just a guy w/ a great arm, but not an NFL quality passer yet.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No, he didn't.

Jackson is not close to being a good passer yet. He's just a guy w/ a great arm, but not an NFL quality passer yet.

He's Vick 2.0. I think he's a good QB, but he's not Mahomes and I will be shocked if he matches what he did last year........ever.