Dude Uses Jedi Mind Tricks To Get Through DUI Checkpoint

Eric_Boyer

Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;4419139 said:
I never argued that check points are right or wrong.

I argued that you don't have to be a turd while at one.

The quicker you say...NO...the quicker you move on.

If you would rather be selfish and take everyone else's time up by being a turd...be a turd. :D

if more people did what this guy did, we would see less check points.

I commend the guy in the video. Police often times take this personally and escalate the issue, which is the only reason I don't pull the same stunt. I don't really feel like getting tazed then hiring a lawyer to get the police to learn the law.

ethiostar

Reaction score
Eric_Boyer;4419652 said:

I commend the guy in the video. Police often times take this personally and escalate the issue, which is the only reason I don't pull the same stunt. I don't really feel like getting tazed then hiring a lawyer to get the police to learn the law.

Is that a good thing, in your opinion?

If so, why?

Cajuncowboy

Preacher From The Black Lagoon
Reaction score
Eric_Boyer;4419652 said:

Why so? More drunks on the roads is a good thing?

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
Eric_Boyer;4419652 said:

I agree, I would try to make it as time consuming and difficult as possible for the officers. They make be only ‘doing their job’, but they are also infringing upon our rights so resistance is necessary. By going along with ‘checkpoints’ you allow a precedent to be set and they will only further test the limits of what society will allow. How about random pat downs for weapons—that may save some lives—or perhaps lets puts some surveillance cameras in streetlights (this is actually happening). People who just shrug their shoulders and give up liberty for security will end up enslaving us all.

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
The30YardSlant;4419124 said:
Yes, he was well within his rights to refuse to answer any and all questions from the officers. However, I will never understand people who are intentionally billigerent or act childish around respectful and reasonably nice officers just because they want to prove a point or have to "stick it to the pigs". If you have nothing to hide, just answer their questions and don't be a dick. They're just doing their job. You wouldn't treat a clerk who asked for your ID like that.

well I have questioned them why they need to see it for a small mastercard purchase, I don't like having to reopen my wallet for no good reason

I also hate it when border guards ask what stores my wife and I are going to when we shop in the US, why does he care, he just needs to know why we are going to the US, who we are and make sure our passports are valid

I also disagree with the "if you have nothing to hide..." argument.

CowboyMcCoy

Business is a Boomin
Reaction score
CanadianCowboysFan;4419679 said:
well I have questioned them why they need to see it for a small mastercard purchase, I don't like having to reopen my wallet for no good reason

How objective of you, asking questions and not assuming. :) And poor you had to open your wallet for the authorities? :(

I also hate it when border guards ask what stores my wife and I are going to when we shop in the US, why does he care, he just needs to know why we are going to the US, who we are and make sure our passports are valid

So you don't like it when border guards talk to your wife about which stores they go to. Double standards?

I also disagree with the "if you have nothing to hide..." argument.

No you don't. You're used to doing whatever you want, like spending a lot of time on message boards when you could be doing something else--something more beneficial to those around you, eh, Canadian?

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
CowboyMcCoy;4419687 said:
How objective of you, asking questions and not assuming. :) And poor you had to open your wallet for the authorities? :(

So you don't like it when border guards talk to your wife about which stores they go to. Double standards?

No you don't. You're used to doing whatever you want, like spending a lot of time on message boards when you could be doing something else--something more beneficial to those around you, eh, Canadian?

are you dense? I pretty much am agreeing with your position and you are still trying to provoke.

CowboyMcCoy

Business is a Boomin
Reaction score
CanadianCowboysFan;4419694 said:
are you dense? I pretty much am agreeing with your position and you are still trying to provoke.

I didn't think always had to be an argumentative exchange. I was only commenting. I've gotten a little too old to argue with hypocrites or anyone who would chastise people, or a person, for a loss I wouldn't even wish on a wretch like you. I've found, some people just aren't happy and they find happiness in making others unhappy.

And I've learned. Take the high road. At least you make less enemies that way.

Rynie

Benched
Reaction score
The30YardSlant;4419124 said:
Yes, he was well within his rights to refuse to answer any and all questions from the officers. However, I will never understand people who are intentionally billigerent or act childish around respectful and reasonably nice officers just because they want to prove a point or have to "stick it to the pigs". If you have nothing to hide, just answer their questions and don't be a dick. They're just doing their job. You wouldn't treat a clerk who asked for your ID like that.

For me, it's not about "proving a point". The last time I got pulled over, I let the cop search my car. I was perfectly honest with him, respectful, and obedient. When I got to my car, it was a COMPLETE MESS. I showed the cop nothing but respect, and that's what I get? I had nothing to hide, and being pulled over for speeding is NOT probable cause much less reasonable suspicion. So, he had absolutely no reason to search it in the first place.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Eric_Boyer;4419652 said:

I have been in two check points in the last 10+ years.

Maybe it is higher elsewhere.

Furthermore I will say that the check points were not in any place where I could not have just turned around prior to getting to them and went another route to reach my destination. In other words I could have completely avoided them, just as I imagine the guy in the video could have done easily.

In a nation where we have things like multiple parts of the patriot act. The Rico act. Eminent domain. Some of the things in the TSA searches and countless other things to worry about.

Refusing to say NO at a check point just does not rank up there. It would be different if they are asking for your ID, Reg, Insurance, want to search your car, want to search you and so on...but no they just ask a simple question which can be answered with one syllable.

Just don't see the big deal about it. And I hope nobody starts the lines about...when the ***** came for blah blah blah lines because this does not equate to it and there are already many things that are much worse as I pointed out before so it is not a gateway drug so to speak.:cool:

CowboyMcCoy

Business is a Boomin
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;4419731 said:
I have been in two check points in the last 10+ years.

Maybe it is higher elsewhere.

Furthermore I will say that the check points were not in any place where I could not have just turned around prior to getting to them and went another route to reach my destination. In other words I could have completely avoided them, just as I imagine the guy in the video could have done easily.

In a nation where we have things like multiple parts of the patriot act. The Rico act. Eminent domain. Some of the things in the TSA searches and countless other things to worry about.

Refusing to say NO at a check point just does not rank up there. It would be different if they are asking for your ID, Reg, Insurance, want to search your car, want to search you and so on...but no they just ask a simple question which can be answered with one syllable.

Just don't see the big deal about it. And I hope nobody starts the lines about...when the ***** came for blah blah blah lines because this does not equate to it and there are already many things that are much worse as I pointed out before so it is not a gateway drug so to speak.:cool:

Stop trying to persuade me. It goes against probable cause and like Rynie said, even suspicion.

So it is a sort of illegal stop at least, then the search part goes from there.

Comparing most things to the ***** is silly, though, I agree. Checkpoints have been going on for years. I would rather worry about repealing NDAA. :)

Saying no isn't a big deal. But they have their noses in your car and what if they're looking for something that isn't a big deal. Then, as cops, naturally they tend to blow small things out of proportion.

CowboyMcCoy

Business is a Boomin
Reaction score
Eric_Boyer;4419652 said:

Correct.

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
CowboyMcCoy;4419704 said:
I didn't think always had to be an argumentative exchange. I was only commenting. I've gotten a little too old to argue with hypocrites or anyone who would chastise people, or a person, for a loss I wouldn't even wish on a wretch like you. I've found, some people just aren't happy and they find happiness in making others unhappy.

And I've learned. Take the high road. At least you make less enemies that way.

seems to me you still have a lot of learning to do

CowboyMcCoy

Business is a Boomin
Reaction score
CanadianCowboysFan;4419775 said:
seems to me you still have a lot of learning to do

Yeah, I'm learning more and more I really don't care for your type. I hope you're proud of your comments and vacation. I wouldn't have cared what you say, because I know who you are. But I still think it's funny you're not the most well-liked poster on the board. And yet you call me out for being a bad person, underhandedly, of course.

How Canadian.

In any case, you worry me not. I know your type. I guarantee you, though, I have more friends on this board than you do. That's not because I'm some jerk who had it coming either.

G'day, Canuck.

Have fun shopping at our stores. I'm just thankful there is one less of you that could possibly be south of our northern border who could do anything other than shop here. :)

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Knock it off you two or I am going to put you through a check point.:cool:

CowboyMcCoy

Business is a Boomin
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;4419855 said:
Knock it off you two or I am going to put you through a check point.:cool:

I refuse to respond :tongue:.

:D

Wait, now your'e asserting my right to remain silent.

No fair! LOL

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Eric_Boyer;4419652 said:

I would prefer to see more check points. Around 11,000 people die each year in drunk driving accidents. My daughter will be driving soon. I have no interest in some drunk ******* killing her.

btw, they let him go because he clearly wasn't drunk and was just trying to cause a problem. If they suspected he was drunk, they would have dragged him out of his car.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
CowboyMcCoy;4419610 said:
Morally, it's a privacy issue. Do you go snooping through people's private stuff? No. Because that's morally wrong.

Being stopped and asked if you've been drinking isn't quite on the level of snooping through someone's stuff. Under this sort of blanket statement we might as well include overhearing a conversation in the supermarket as a violation of privacy.

Additionally, there's no justifiable reason for me to snoop through someone's stuff.

Personally I think the police are well within their rights and have an obligation to prevent unnecessary loss of life.

The whole "privacy" argument is pretty frail. As if the minor infringement on your "privacy", if you can even call it one, outweighs the collective benefits and avoidance of lost lives.

1/3rd of all traffic-related deaths involves alcohol. That's about 10,000 people per year who die in alcohol related car accidents.

Maybe it's just me, but my few seconds or even minutes spent answer a question is well worth the number of lives that are potentially saved each year by getting drunks off the road.

Anyone who clings to the "privacy" argument might as well just say, "my right to avoid what I consider unnecessary questioning supersedes other people's right to live".

Cajuncowboy

Preacher From The Black Lagoon
Reaction score
Sam I Am;4419857 said:
I would prefer to see more check points. Around 11,000 people die each year in drunk driving accidents. My daughter will be driving soon. I have no interest in some drunk ******* killing her.

btw, they let him go because he clearly wasn't drunk and was just trying to cause a problem. If they suspected he was drunk, they would have dragged him out of his car.

I have had two people close to me who were killed by a drunk driver. Once when I was a teenager and was a good friend and classmate.

The other was a few years ago and was a close friend from church.

Both drunk drivers survived with little to no injuries. So if they take just one drunk driver off the road then good.

And on a slightly different subject. If you get caught drunk driving. you should get at least one year in jail and lose your license for five years.