Dude Uses Jedi Mind Tricks To Get Through DUI Checkpoint

dez_for_prez

Reaction score
CanadianCowboysFan;4421347 said:
you could say the same about any state intervention, hell maybe the fuzz should be able to enter your house at will, after all if you have nothing to hide, let them in and search

I asked you to name a negitive to traffic cams and the best u can do is, "this would lead to random house checks." Kind of a stretch isn't it. :laugh2:

For the record I don't really care for cops. Not the best experiences.

Jammer

Retired Air Force Guy
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
dez_for_prez;4421451 said:
I asked you to name a negitive to traffic cams and the best u can do is, "this would lead to random house checks." Kind of a stretch isn't it. :laugh2:

For the record I don't really care for cops. Not the best experiences.

I can name a BIG negative reason for traffic cams and the big reason is it's you're guilty until YOU proof yourself innocent. I was at a job out in California and I had a rental car in my name, but the car was used by a couple of my co-workers as well. One of the co-workers was using the car and he ran a red light and a traffic cam ticketed him. I got the ticket because the car was in my name. I had to jump through hoops to prove the ticket wasn't supposed to go to me but instead to the guy actually driving the car. If a cop had pulled the car over the cop would have ticketed the correct person and I would not have been involved at all.

But since we're all for traffic safety (or any other like it it) it's okay to give up some freedom for the purpose of security because if I didn't do anything wrong then I have nothing to fear. :rolleyes:

dez_for_prez

Reaction score
Jammer;4421510 said:
I can name a BIG negative reason for traffic cams and the big reason is it's you're guilty until YOU proof yourself innocent. I was at a job out in California and I had a rental car in my name, but the car was used by a couple of my co-workers as well. One of the co-workers was using the car and he ran a red light and a traffic cam ticketed him. I got the ticket because the car was in my name. I had to jump through hoops to prove the ticket wasn't supposed to go to me but instead to the guy actually driving the car. If a cop had pulled the car over the cop would have ticketed the correct person and I would not have been involved at all.

But since we're all for traffic safety (or any other like it it) it's okay to give up some freedom for the purpose of security because if I didn't do anything wrong then I have nothing to fear. :rolleyes:

Maybe you should be more responsible with who you lend your car to. The system has flaws like any other but all they would have to do is put a picture of the offense in with the ticket and that would settle it.

Jammer

Retired Air Force Guy
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
dez_for_prez;4421614 said:
Maybe you should be more responsible with who you lend your car to. The system has flaws like any other but all they would have to do is put a picture of the offense in with the ticket and that would settle it.

It was a work rental, so my co-workers were allowed to drive the car. It just happened to be in my name as I was the project manager. Even if it was my personal car I lent out it should not have mattered. That's a poor excuse to allow traffic cams because "I should be more careful" of who I lend my car to.

I did get the picture with the ticket. That's how I knew who the guilty one was. My point was, and it still is, I had to prove it wasn't me.

dez_for_prez

Reaction score
Jammer;4421631 said:
It was a work rental, so my co-workers were allowed to drive the car. It just happened to be in my name as I was the project manager. Even if it was my personal car I lent out it should not have mattered. That's a poor excuse to allow traffic cams because "I should be more careful" of who I lend my car to.

I did get the picture with the ticket. That's how I knew who the guilty one was. My point was, and it still is, I had to prove it wasn't me.

The positives far outweighs the negitives.

Jammer

Retired Air Force Guy
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
dez_for_prez;4421921 said:
The positives far outweighs the negitives.

Besides revenue generators just what positives are there? Don't mention safety because for every report that shows they promote safety there are just as many that shows the oposite.

They're nothing but revenue generators.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
http://constitution.org/powright.htm

^ Here is an excellent link for anyone to review. Human beings have an innate propensity of misconstruing and Americans are not an exception to that tendency. Case in point: individual citizenship and natural rights are not exclusively the same thing.

Citizens have the right of privacy, but only to the extent that their privacy does not violate the rights of others. "Others" (e.g. fellow citizens) have the right to not be injured or killed.

Both drunk drivers and sober drivers have the right of privacy. Neither have immunity of using their right of privacy as justification for injuring or killing their fellow citizens.

Thus, the question becomes, "How does one protect one right from being violated by another right?"

While flawed, sobriety checkpoints are the answer in the case of drunk driving. They are not flawed because of their intent, which is valid. They are flawed due the potential of human beings (e.g. police officers) who would abuse their power and corrupt a sobriety checkpoint's intent.

In other words, if the people in charge of a sobriety checkpoint are doing their jobs correctly, they are part of the solution of protecting everyone's natural rights as citizens. When those same people subvert its basis, they become the problem and violate the same rights they proclaim to protect.

The Constitution of the United States was created as a foundation of law for all of its citizens. In their infinite wisdom, the Constitution's founders fused it with the ability to grow, change and adapt as the country it governs matures throughout its lifetime. By association, it influences law at every judicial level beneath it.

What does this mean? Well, the founding fathers knew they could not foresee every probable violation of natural rights which they hoped their descendents would encounter in the days, weeks, months, decades and centuries to follow. Perhaps James Madison or Benjamin Franklin were psychics, who looked into the future, saw citizens in automobiles (not horse-and-buggies) colliding with fellow citizens, maiming or killing them due to their own intoxication. Perhaps not. It does not matter. They were wise enough to leave the tools behind for dealing with such topics.

Back to the OP.

The driver had the right to act as he did because he was not drunk.

The officers had the right to stop him at a sobriety checkpoint to insure the rights of other drivers were not violated by drunk drivers.

It's a wash in the end, but it should be noted that the driver's refusal to answer, what may have been one question only, slowed the process down longer than necessary. The delay may have been caused simply to exploit the situation later, since the driver posted the video for public consumption. If that small delay allowed, by consequence, even a single drunk driver to avoid that checkpoint and he or she caused a later accident, the accident itself cannot be blamed on the officers manning the checkpoint. It would have been the fault of the driver solely.

That would have been a grievous error on the driver's part. Does refusing to provide a simple answer justify should callousness? Who truly knows? And better yet, who truly cares?

realtick

Benched
Reaction score
DallasEast;4422532 said:
It's a wash in the end, but it should be noted that the driver's refusal to answer, what may have been one question only, slowed the process down longer than necessary. The delay may have been caused simply to exploit the situation later, since the driver posted the video for public consumption. If that small delay allowed, by consequence, even a single drunk driver to avoid that checkpoint and he or she caused a later accident, the accident itself cannot be blamed on the officers manning the checkpoint. It would have been the fault of the driver solely.

That would have been a grievous error on the driver's part. Does refusing to provide a simple answer justify should callousness? Who truly knows? And better yet, who truly cares?

Good info and response. However, I do think the above quoted portion of your post is flawed.

First, you would have to prove check-points stop 100 percent of drunk drivers who pass through the points.

Second, the onus on the police's ability to stop, check and arrest drunk drivers at check-points is not up to other drivers. Rather, it's up to the officers on duty who are participating in the checks and performing their duties properly.

Third, if time-management and the need to expedite the process is paramount to whether the check-points can be run properly, then the procedure is flawed. You would then run smack-dab into proving the first point made again.

Fourth, you would have to prove that delays that are only caused by citizens refusing to answer to officers can be directly tied to a subsequent drunk driver getting through the check-point.

Further, you would have to prove that no other delays (officers engaged in prolonged questioning, drivers fumbling for thier licenses, stalled automobiles, delays caused by officers testing drivers who turn out not to be drunk, delays caused by drivers who are sober but don't have their license...et cetera) could have caused the necessary delay that hypothetically allowed a drunk driver to get through the checkpoint.