News: Dwayne Haskins killed, hit by a car in Florida

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
Geez. Why was he trying to cross such a highway in the early morning hours? Also, how do you not see a dump truck? There’s got to be more to this story.

Last edited:

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
crazy my uncle back when i was around 10 years old was walking home from bar because he didn't want to drive drunk and got hit in the highway by so many cars him being human was nearly unidentifiable..old wounds

Dang, try to be responsible, then that happens. Wonder how long of a walk he had, if a short one, I can see it, but never, on a highway. Take a taxi.

I used to own a bar. Sold it about 12 years ago. But I still help out from time to time if need be. A year ago, a lady got in an argument with her boyfriend. She left, and started walking, also along a highway, was struck and killed. She only had one drink. But walked to another bar. Then left that bar which was near the highway. Turns out she was at that bar for several hours or more.

I live close to this bar, a five minute walk. But it is basically neighborhood streets. But I don’t drink much either, 3 or 4 over a 4 hours time frame. So the walk is easy..

blueblood70

Reaction score
Dang, try to be responsible, then that happens. Wonder how long of a walk he had, if a short one, I can see it, but never, on a highway. Take a taxi.

I used to own a bar. Sold it about 12 years ago. But I still help out from time to time if need be. A year ago, a lady got in an argument with her boyfriend. She left, and started walking, also along a highway, was struck and killed. She only had one drink. But walked to another bar. Then left that bar which was near the highway. Turns out she was at that bar for several hours or more.

I live close to this bar, a five minute walk. But it is basically neighborhood streets. But I don’t drink much either, 3 or 4 over a 4 hours time frame. So the walk is easy..
back in 77 in suburbs no uber, lyft and, really not much in the way of cabs if you could afford one..yes trying to do the right thing and a person's gone in a flash..

Verdict

Reaction score
This young man getting killed is tragic. My condolences to his family.

Having said that, walking/running on the road/highway is a bad idea.

HungryLion

Reaction score
So much for the "jogging on a highway" silliness. It's not yet known why he got out of his car, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't to work on his cardio. :rolleyes:

The incident happened around 6:30 a.m. when Haskins was driving on I-595 going to the airport to return to Pittsburgh and stopped his vehicle to get out when he was hit by a dump truck.

sadly it’s not uncommon for people who are broken down or out of the car on the highway to get hit or killed.

Of course we have plenty of people showing their rear ends on this board who thinks it’s ok to take shots at Haskins because “they’re just staring the truth” without knowing what happened.

manster4ever

Reaction score
crazy my uncle back when i was around 10 years old was walking home from bar because he didn't want to drive drunk and got hit in the highway by so many cars him being human was nearly unidentifiable..old wounds

I hear you blueblood...my great Grandfather was walking down a country road with my Grandpa just outside Brownsville Texas and he got hit and killed. My Grandpa never got over it.

Remember to tell your friends and loved ones some basics on exiting your vehicle on a busy road: pull OFF the road, not just the shoulder. If/when you do get out of the car, climb over to the passenger seat and get out that way if traffic is busy. Get FAR off the road and call for help. Don't ever try to fix a car or change a tire, it's not worth it.

eromeopolk

Reaction score
Sports Illustrated -
7 News WSVN in Miami released a story about the incident, without naming Haskins by name, stating that a dump truck struck a man around 6:37 a.m. while he was walking on Interstate 595 in Fort Lauderdale. He was pronounced dead at the scene.

Florida Highway Patrol spokeswoman Lt. Indiana Miranda confirmed Haskins’s death, and said it is unknown why Haskins was on the interstate at this time.

“He was just walking on the highway and got hit,” Miranda told The Associated Press. FHP authorities told CBSMiami that he was attempting to cross the westbound lanes of the highway when he was hit by the truck.

Based on the report, Haskins is the only person who died from the crash. It is unknown if the driver of the dump truck was injured.

Traffic homicide investigators are investigating the crash, per WSVN.

AP News -
Haskins was killed early Saturday morning when he was hit by a dump truck while he was walking on a South Florida highway. Florida Highway Patrol spokeswoman Lt. Indiana Miranda said Haskins was pronounced dead at the scene.

“He was attempting to cross the westbound lanes of Interstate 595 when there was oncoming traffic,” Miranda said in an emailed statement.

Miranda didn’t say why Haskins was on the highway at the time. The accident caused the highway to be shut down for several hours, and Miranda said it’s “an open traffic homicide investigation.”

Flamma

Reaction score
Geez. Why was he trying to cross such a highway in the early morning hours? Also, how do you not see a dump truck? There’s got to be more to this story.

I worked road maintenance for a major highway for 5 years. Now I collect tolls for them instead. People tend to look forward when crossing, like you do when crossing a street. Look both ways, then go. A habit I had to alter. It's not natural to not look in the direction you're running.

One guy tried to run his Harley across 4 lanes at night to get to the rest area. He got hit by a semi. Trucks won't see you unless it's broad daylight because they don't expect you to be there.