Dwyane Wade, Chris Bosh, and Udonis Haslem all opt out

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
I thought they used their MLE to sign Ray Allen?

Just pursuing him to try and convince LeBron. It's really a pathetic play by Cleveland. And Ray Allen is done. Great player, one of my favorites...but its a wrap for him.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
Just pursuing him to try and convince LeBron. It's really a pathetic play by Cleveland. And Ray Allen is done. Great player, one of my favorites...but its a wrap for him.

No, I mean 2 years ago, Miami signed Ray Allen using their MLE. Since the deal was 2 years, it was unavailable to use last year

Fizziksman

BanditHiro
Reaction score
You know teams have gotten swept before, right?

point differential was the largest margin of victory ever in Finals history. A team can get swept but if all 4 games are decided by one possession i wouldn't really call that dominating win...

burmafrd

Reaction score
Well, at least statistically it was. The Spurs outscored the Heat by 14 points per game in the 2014 NBA Finals, the largest points differential in a single series in Finals history.

exhibit A. Spurs homers are maybe worse then Sooner or Longhorn homers.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
Do your research. The beat down by the Spurs over Miami was the biggest beat down in NBA Finals history. See post #113. I don't make this stuff up.

No, you just exaggerate. Games 3-5 were beat downs, but Miami still one game 2, and despite the score in game 1, it was back and forth till the end. It wasn't until game 4, that everyone knew or at least figured the Spurs would win this series.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
No, you just exaggerate. Games 3-5 were beat downs, but Miami still one game 2, and despite the score in game 1, it was back and forth till the end. It wasn't until game 4, that everyone knew or at least figured the Spurs would win this series.

No exaggeration. It's the facts. They outscored the Heat by an average of 14 pts. Largest in NBA Finals history.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
No, I mean 2 years ago, Miami signed Ray Allen using their MLE. Since the deal was 2 years, it was unavailable to use last year

MLE is every year.
Miami had both MLE and Bi-annual exception available last year but passed.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score

Allen would be a good get as a 12th man and pure 3 point shooter but that's all.
That's the role CLE would be offering at not at the MLE at all.
They are pursuing Mike Miller for a larger role and higher salary.
They will do whatever Rich Paul suggests LeBron wants because that's about 30 wins a year he can bring.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
point differential was the largest margin of victory ever in Finals history. A team can get swept but if all 4 games are decided by one possession i wouldn't really call that dominating win...

By the same token a team that wins 4 games by 20 but loses 3 games by 15 is hardly dominating.

A sweep is the most impressive way to win a series.
The Spurs did the next best thing winning big.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
By the same token a team that wins 4 games by 20 but loses 3 games by 15 is hardly dominating.

A sweep is the most impressive way to win a series.
The Spurs did the next best thing winning big.

I agree with this. Championships are all about matchups. It may not indicate how good or bad a team might be, although I do believe it showed how weak the Heat were at Guard. If SA had faced Indiana in the finals, instead of the Heat, I believe that would have been a much better series but that's just an opinion on my part.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
I agree with this. Championships are all about matchups. It may not indicate how good or bad a team might be, although I do believe it showed how weak the Heat were at Guard. If SA had faced Indiana in the finals, instead of the Heat, I believe that would have been a much better series but that's just an opinion on my part.

San Antonio still would have won, but it would've been much more entertaining and I think the games would have been closer. David West would have bullied Tiago Splitter. Diaw vs. West would've been fun to watch, though.

The x-factor would've been whether Paul George showed up or not.

Jenky

Reaction score
San Antonio still would have won, but it would've been much more entertaining and I think the games would have been closer. David West would have bullied Tiago Splitter. Diaw vs. West would've been fun to watch, though.

The x-factor would've been whether Paul George showed up or not.

IMO, Pacers having no point guard for years now really hurts them and which Hibbert shows up? I think it would be a sweep by SA.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
IMO, Pacers having no point guard for years now really hurts them and which Hibbert shows up? I think it would be a sweep by SA.

Fair point. Tony Parker alone would've been a huge issue for Indiana to deal with. Lance Stevenson can't guard him, and if Paul George guards him, who's guarding Kawhi?

The Heat ran into the same problem. LeBron can't guard the whole damn Spurs roster, lol.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
So much for LeMe opting out so that Miami could bring in more players. Riley must be thinking retirement about now.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
So much for LeMe opting out so that Miami could bring in more players. Riley must be thinking retirement about now.

I doubt it. I think what's going through Riley's mind is more along the lines of doubling down to make Bosh, James and the rest of the NBA see what a big mistake they made. That's how Pat Riley operates.