Eagles defense is overrated and one step above garbage

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I don't think the Eagles are garbage or overrated. 10-2 wins versus losses speaks for itself. They won the Super Bowl in relatively recent years as well. I don't have to like them to still keep it real about their team quality or capabilities.
They won the SB in 2017….Nick Foles ain’t walking through that door to save them lol.

Sydla

Reaction score
This is what happens when you pay your QB 50 mil+/season.

The Eagles lost a ton of good D players in the offseason. Including both starting S's. And their NT, Hargrave, who had 11 sacks from the NT position. And their starting MLB in TJ Edwards.

All in all, the D players they lost started 62 games last season. That is a lot. I mean, that is one hades of a lot. You just can't replace that many starters w/o some blips.
Ehhh, they backloaded the crap out of Hurts' deal where they have some pretty ridiculous dummy years at the end. They'll be taking cap hits on Hurts for a long time even if he's not even here.

Their bigger issue was that they saw cap increases on some players, made decisions with guys like Slay and Bradberry, etc.

Sydla

Reaction score
Slay and Bradberry look like they got real old, real quick
LB position has been decimated with injuries. The guys they do have aren’t talented enough
S besides Blankenship has been very up and down.
Slot corner after Aponte Maddox went down has also been a problem.
Ehhh, Blankenship has been up and down. He's had some good games and then some games where he's been exploited in the passing game. He seems like an adequate S but for some reason Eagles fans seem to love him like he's great.

Pola_pe_a

Reaction score
Our resident Eagles fans told us they wouldn’t miss CGJ, Coach Gannon, TJ Edwards, Hargraves, etc. Guess Eagles goofed.
Gannon was garbage. Every decent QB lit them up because he sat in soft cover 2. He did far less with more talent Desai has done. Go back and look at the QB’s they played last year. The D played well against crap QB’s (which they saw a bunch of) and got lit up by good QB’s.

CJGJ was and is overrated. Blankenship has been fine. The other safety spot has been a problem.
Hargrave isn’t missed. The difference in production between him and Carter is minor compared to the salary difference.
TJ Edwards was a big loss. Hell I’d take Kylie White back even. Howie refuses to pay LB’s and it’s biting the in the ***.

The highly paid CB’s falling off a cliff is the bigger issue. Slay and Bradberry have been average at best.

Losing guys happens every year. When they guys you bring in to replace them get hurt that’s when you get into trouble. Eagles have had a bunch of injuries at LB and they lost their slot CB early.

Pola_pe_a

Reaction score
Ehhh, Blankenship has been up and down. He's had some good games and then some games where he's been exploited in the passing game. He seems like an adequate S but for some reason Eagles fans seem to love him like he's great.
Coverage Is his weak point but he rarely misses tackles. He’s a young player who has steadily improved. He’s not an all-pro but he’s also not garbage, Adequate with upside is a good way to describe him.

Nova

Ntegrase96
Reaction score
Gannon was garbage. Every decent QB lit them up because he sat in soft cover 2. He did far less with more talent Desai has done. Go back and look at the QB’s they played last year. The D played well against crap QB’s (which they saw a bunch of) and got lit up by good QB’s.

CJGJ was and is overrated. Blankenship has been fine. The other safety spot has been a problem.
Hargrave isn’t missed. The difference in production between him and Carter is minor compared to the salary difference.
TJ Edwards was a big loss. Hell I’d take Kylie White back even. Howie refuses to pay LB’s and it’s biting the in the ***.

The highly paid CB’s falling off a cliff is the bigger issue. Slay and Bradberry have been average at best.

Losing guys happens every year. When they guys you bring in to replace them get hurt that’s when you get into trouble. Eagles have had a bunch of injuries at LB and they lost their slot CB early.
Pretty much agree with this.

The Eagles defense was fortunate to face lesser QBs last year. That's probably the primary difference more so than a talent discrepancy.

That said, losing Hargrave to the 9ers sucks in the short term. Carter is going to have a phenomenal career, but the 9ers have added Young, Hargrave, and Gregory to an already loaded team.

They're just distancing themselves from both of our clubs.

Arkyvarminter

Reaction score
Here are the numbers:
Points allowed: 24th
Points allowed per drive: 29th
First downs allowed: 28th
3rd down defense: 32nd
Red zone defense: 29th
Take aways: 26th
Sacks: 12th
Sack percentage: 22nd

The Eagles have some very talented defensive players, but they also put bottom-tier players out there mixed in. There doesn't seem to be much in the middle. The bad players they have are really bad. Just keep the Eagles D line from the QB and watch the points roll in.

The Eagles defense has forced 33 3rd downs in the last two games. 23 of those were converted.

The offensive coordinator forgets that he has Swift to run the ball.

The defensive coordinator can make good adjustments against average teams but can't hide the lesser players from O.C.'s that know how to design plays.

We will win by 17.
Yeah but we get everyone's A game...

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score

You guys lost your coach and your best players. It was a mistake. If CGJ is overrated what is Byard?

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Pretty much agree with this.

The Eagles defense was fortunate to face lesser QBs last year. That's probably the primary difference more so than a talent discrepancy.

That said, losing Hargrave to the 9ers sucks in the short term. Carter is going to have a phenomenal career, but the 9ers have added Young, Hargrave, and Gregory to an already loaded team.

They're just distancing themselves from both of our clubs.
Y’all hype up the 9ers but truthfully if I push my hate for the eagles aside they wouldn’t have got drilled had they went up 14-0 like they were suppose to.

Nova

Ntegrase96
Reaction score
Y’all hype up the 9ers but truthfully if I push my hate for the eagles aside they wouldn’t have got drilled had they went up 14-0 like they were suppose to.
It definitely would have been a different game, but Philly didn't go up 14-0 because SF stopped them from doing so.

It's not like the Eagles fumbled the opportunity away on their own accord, and that was evident as SF settled in and took away what the Eagles wanted to do for the rest of the game.

I don't like either team, but SF is clearly the more complete team. Doesn't mean we or the Eagles can't beat them, but they're really solid.

Pola_pe_a

Reaction score
Gannon wasn't great but I am not sure Desai is the answer either.
He may not be but at least he mixes things up some. Gannon was just too damn passive.

I think Desai needs some better players before he can really be judged. Howie needs to stop ignoring the LB position.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
It definitely would have been a different game, but Philly didn't go up 14-0 because SF stopped them from doing so.

It's not like the Eagles fumbled the opportunity away on their own accord, and that was evident as SF settled in and took away what the Eagles wanted to do for the rest of the game.

I don't like either team, but SF is clearly the more complete team. Doesn't mean we or the Eagles can't beat them, but they're really solid.
I'm just torn. Because they missed Trent Williams and Deebo and went on a 3 game losing streak. That doesn't spell great team I get its harder to play without your best players I mean that's common sense but to go winless? That's like something a Garrett led Cowboys team would do.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
He may not be but at least he mixes things up some. Gannon was just too damn passive.

I think Desai needs some better players before he can really be judged. Howie needs to stop ignoring the LB position.
Because Gannon probably knew what he had in his defense and knew what their strengths were.

Nova

Ntegrase96
Reaction score
I'm just torn. Because they missed Trent Williams and Deebo and went on a 3 game losing streak. That doesn't spell great team I get its harder to play without your best players I mean that's common sense but to go winless? That's like something a Garrett led Cowboys team would do.
That's the other part. They're somehow super solid all the way around, but if they're missing a few important guys, it all goes to crap.

But when healthy, they just dismantle good teams-- and that dates back to last year. They grind teams into powder as the game wears on.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Here are the numbers:
Points allowed: 24th
Points allowed per drive: 29th
First downs allowed: 28th
3rd down defense: 32nd
Red zone defense: 29th
Take aways: 26th
Sacks: 12th
Sack percentage: 22nd

The Eagles have some very talented defensive players, but they also put bottom-tier players out there mixed in. There doesn't seem to be much in the middle. The bad players they have are really bad. Just keep the Eagles D line from the QB and watch the points roll in.

The Eagles defense has forced 33 3rd downs in the last two games. 23 of those were converted.

The offensive coordinator forgets that he has Swift to run the ball.

The defensive coordinator can make good adjustments against average teams but can't hide the lesser players from O.C.'s that know how to design plays.

We will win by 17.
Say what you will about their defense, but we only scored 23 points against them and only 6 points in the second half. They stopped us in some critical situations keeping us out of the endzone.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
That's the other part. They're somehow super solid all the way around, but if they're missing a few important guys, it all goes to crap.

But when healthy, they just dismantle good teams-- and that dates back to last year. They grind teams into powder as the game wears on.
They do. Problem is...that type of play seems to hinder them and get them hurt then they're crying about guys being hurt lol. Well that's part of it. Eagles made the SB because they stayed relatively healthy.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Say what you will about their defense, but we only scored 23 points against them and only 6 points in the second half. They stopped us in some critical situations keeping us out of the endzone.
Cowboys stopped themselves....they did nothing special. Everyone including Eagles fans watched that game and saw us "choke" it away. The Schoonmaker play where Blankenship tackled Schoonmaker before the ball got there is one example.