Eagles expected to pick up Nick Foles' $20M option

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
The Eagles will have to make a few moves because they are currently sitting at $18 million over the cap. Is Foles $20 million option or $29 million franchise even counted as part of their cap right now?

The 20 million was in that number. So they save 22 when he opts out, because he has to pay back 2 million as well. Then they hit him with the franchise number, so they're just shy of 10 mil over. Now they need to trade him before whatever deadline day it is (not sure if its new league year free agency opens date or some time after that).

But then if they just shed 7m$ elsewhere (or whatever the number is), then they can hold on to Nick longer.

Reactions: C42

Pape

Reaction score
The 20 million was in that number. So they save 22 when he opts out, because he has to pay back 2 million as well. Then they hit him with the franchise number, so they're just shy of 10 mil over. Now they need to trade him before whatever deadline day it is (not sure if its new league year free agency opens date or some time after that).

But then if they just shed 7m$ elsewhere (or whatever the number is), then they can hold on to Nick longer.

i think your math is wrong ...
the eagles are 18.5 over the cap with Foles 20 million dollar option...
If they tag him, which is a higher figure, they then move to about 22 - 25.5 million over the cap, depending on what the official tag number is...
so they need to either move him by March 3rd or they gotta get busy with a lot of restructures...

Last edited:

Bigdog

Reaction score
I would laugh like hell if they franchise tag Foles and then no one wants to trade for him because the asking price is too high. The Eagles would be stuck with a $20 million back up qb.

C42

Reaction score
As expected. Foles has to accept it though IIRC.

Fwed

Reaction score
The buyout with the astronomical 2019 cap number was
They pick up his option because they know he'll buy out, which saves them cap space. They then tag him. Nick buys out, because he knows the tag will get him much more than the option does. Worst case scenario they just drop the franchise when the draft comes along, still save the buyout money on the cap and nothing changed. But if even 2 teams wanted him, one is willing to give up a 7 to ensure they get him and the other doesnt? a 6? What if there's 3 teams that were interested, is a 5 so much to ask? Basically anything more than a 5 and it was worth it, as they'd probably get a 3 from compensatory in 2020.

The only drawback to Philly is they can't franchise Brandon Graham, but he wants to be here so if they were going to pay him they wouldn't need it.

Worst case scenario is that Foles signs the tender and makes it guaranteed...and no one is willing to trade anything for Foles @ 25M.

Only two scenarios make sense.
Foles buys way out and becomes free agent. Eagles get 2M back and a 3rd round comp pick.
or
Eagles already have a trade worked out. Foles buys way out, they franchise him and move him day 1 of new year. Foles works out a long term contract with new team.

btw - Eagles were never going to Franchise Graham. If they can afford him they will just sign him. He wants to stay in Philly and even said recently he would take less from Philly to stay there.

Fwed

Reaction score
The Eagles will have to make a few moves because they are currently sitting at $18 million over the cap. Is Foles $20 million option or $29 million franchise even counted as part of their cap right now?
about 11M over the cap now after Mcleod deal redone. they could get under the cap by just doing a restructure of a contract or two.

Foles is about 21M of there cap right now.

lukin2006

Reaction score
The Eagles are placing to much value on Foles. Let them pay 29 million. And if some team is foolish enough to trade for him...

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
The Eagles are placing to much value on Foles. Let them pay 29 million. And if some team is foolish enough to trade for him...

You’re forgetting who we’re dealing with...

Howie_fish.width-704.gif

This man once got a 1st for Sam Bradford. From a playoff team.

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
Thanks. Makes sense. Will be fun to see it play out.

Obligatory, “they could also trade Wentz.”
I've thought all along that Wentz should be the one they could fleece another team with.....talent wise yea Wentz has the higher upside minus the "clutch" gene Wentz doesn't have.........it doesn't really matter how good a player is, if they can't stay on the field they're really of no use.

ghst187

Reaction score
Calling it, Foles to Jags for Ramsey and possibly Fournette....

Northern_Cowboy

Reaction score
Calling it, Foles to Jags for Ramsey and possibly Fournette....

Coughlin needs a QB real bad but he is not that stupid. I think Foles is great coming off the bench or for a short while replacing the starter but he has shown he can be figured out as a starter over the course of a season

Northern_Cowboy

Reaction score
You do that and I’ll post Case Keenum’s Fisher stats. And then I’ll post Sam Bradford’s Fisher stats. And then I’ll post Jared Goff’s Fisher stats.
and i will post Fisher stats with Steve McNair as his QB..still want to go there? With an actual QB Fisher had a consecutive seasons run of 8-8, 13-3, 13-3, 7-9, 11-5, 13-3

DFWJC

Reaction score
Birds are doing this so they can franchise him and then trade him to the highest bidder. The tag will be worth $29M? IMO Foles should sign the tender just so the Birds cannot pull it back the last minute when a team is not willing to give up the ransom the birds would be expecting. Plus it would force them to make another move or two to fit him under the cap.
I think this may be it

Flamma

Reaction score
I think the Eagles plan on keeping Foles for one more year. Wentz is currently an 8 mil cap hit, so they might be able to pull it off. It's 2020 that Wentz either gets paid or they pick up his 5th year option. Either way they won't be able to pay them both.

For the year they could put Foles on a Non Exclusive Franchise tag. That alone would solve any trade issues. And if some team takes the bait, it will be worth more than anything in a trade.

Longboysfan

hipfake08
Reaction score
The Eagles can't keep kicking the CAP down the road.
2019 will be hear.
2020 will be a mess.