Eagles expected to pick up Nick Foles' $20M option

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I did and they will have problems down the road.
I full expect them to trade Foles to get the $20 million CAP relief.

They are picking up the 20 million dollar option. Foles will then pay them 2 million to buy it out. Philly will then place the franchise tag on him in hopes of trading him. They want a 3rd rounder.

uvaballa

Reaction score
It would be funny if teams just waited it out. Foles is no better than Cousins and we see he didn’t help the Vikings make the playoffs.

Longboysfan

hipfake08
Reaction score
But Foles embraces the complete Eagles offense.
Where Wentz makes primary read and if covered goes to Ertz.

Montanalo

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Smart move. Buys them time to see if Wentz is going to be 100% and will put them in a good bargaining position when the inevitable QB drama hits the league.
Agree. Options theory being played out on the NFL stage. As much as I don't like the Eagles, got acknowledge this is a smart move.

Sydla

Reaction score
You’re forgetting who we’re dealing with...

Howie_fish.width-704.gif

This man once got a 1st for Sam Bradford. From a playoff team.

Because said team lost their starting QB like a week and a half before the season was to start.

That's not to say Howie didn't do a good job but a BIG FACTOR in that trade was the Vikings had pegged themselves as NFC contenders and panicked when their QB went down as the season was about to start.

Sydla

Reaction score
I think the Eagles plan on keeping Foles for one more year. Wentz is currently an 8 mil cap hit, so they might be able to pull it off. It's 2020 that Wentz either gets paid or they pick up his 5th year option. Either way they won't be able to pay them both.

For the year they could put Foles on a Non Exclusive Franchise tag. That alone would solve any trade issues. And if some team takes the bait, it will be worth more than anything in a trade.

They can't keep him one more year unless they restructure a ton of contracts or start cutting key players.

I mean it's possible they could keep him for a year but the cap problems that would create makes it unlikely.

Pape

Reaction score
The Eagles will move Foles... there are teams out there who will give up a pick or two for the promise of a franchise qb... and really, the 20/25 million he will get isnt that bad a pill to swallow for a team looking for a qb.... Wentz is the star they are betting their future on... and rightly so... he has shown he can play at a high level, if he can stay on the field...

There are a few qb's out there this year... nothing great, but serviceable... Flacco is going bye-bye from Baltimore, possibly Tannehill from Miami (not sure why Flores would let him go though - keep him until you get another one) and possibly Tedy Bridgewater...

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
Because said team lost their starting QB like a week and a half before the season was to start.

That's not to say Howie didn't do a good job but a BIG FACTOR in that trade was the Vikings had pegged themselves as NFC contenders and panicked when their QB went down as the season was about to start.

It's one example of many. Every scenario has different context, but the point is he can manipulate the circumstances to his benefit like few others.

Sydla

Reaction score
It's one example of many. Every scenario has different context, but the point is he can manipulate the circumstances to his benefit like few others.

But in the end, a situation had to materialize out of nowhere for him to be able to do what he did. There was a great deal of luck involved in that situation where a NFC favorite lost their QB a week or so before the season was to start. It's not like he hoodwinked the Vikings into giving him a pick for a QB in March.

As it pertains to this conversation though, he can't really "manipulate" crap at this point. If anyone is over a barrel here (like the Vikings were a few years ago) it's the Eagles. Teams know even if they tag Foles, they likely can't carry him for the 2019 season (unless they cut a few more guys and restructure some more contracts).

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
They are picking up the 20 million dollar option. Foles will then pay them 2 million to buy it out. Philly will then place the franchise tag on him in hopes of trading him. They want a 3rd rounder.

I really don't think this will work out for them. They'll need to have a trade worked out before he signs the tag and to do that convince some team that they can't get him on the open market.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
I really don't think this will work out for them. They'll need to have a trade worked out before he signs the tag and to do that convince some team that they can't get him on the open market.

I think there are a lot more teams than people realize that want to move on from their current QB. Dolphins just proclaimed they weren't ready to commit to Tannehill for 2019. Broncos obviously have a gaping chasm at the position. Jaguars do not have a QB they can win with. Commanders do not have a proper 2018 starter. And then there's rumblings that the Raiders or Bucs or Giants or Bengals or even Cardinals could possibly move on from their current incumbent. Much, much stranger things have happened.

Everything that's happened to Philadelphia since we fired Chip was "I really don't think this will work out for them." We invested a ton of money and draft picks into 3 different QBs on the roster in 2016, which was unprecedented. We basically hired the poor man's version of the coach we fired not 3 years prior. We lost our starting QB 2 years in a row, and still won 4 consecutive playoff games (in which we were the underdog in every single one).

And now the big roadblock is way may not get a decent draft pick for the Super Bowl MVP QB? I'm not sweating this one. Let's watch and see how it plays out.

Sydla

Reaction score

They'll get a pick for him. Now they won't get a really high pick most likely but I think they'd rather have a 4th this year than a 3rd compensatory pick in 2020.

My gut says they get a third for him.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
They'll get a pick for him. Now they won't get a really high pick most likely but I think they'd rather have a 4th this year than a 3rd compensatory pick in 2020.

My gut says they get a third for him.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if the Eagles tag him any team he's traded to would have to assume the tagged salary. So while they would ultimately want to negotiate a deal, Foles would have crazy leverage in negotiations because would be getting paid $25 mil+ for the year regardless, the team would be out a pick, and he could go back into free agency next year if he doesn't get what he wants.

Sydla

Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong, but if the Eagles tag him any team he's traded to would have to assume the tagged salary. So while they would ultimately want to negotiate a deal, Foles would have crazy leverage in negotiations because would be getting paid $25 mil+ for the year regardless, the team would be out a pick, and he could go back into free agency next year if he doesn't get what he wants.

True which is another reason why I don't think anyone will be giving up some primo picks for him. But I suspect someone might give up a 3rd for him, even if it were for one year.

Remember though, the team he would get traded to would have another tag year as well.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
True which is another reason why I don't think anyone will be giving up some primo picks for him. But I suspect someone might give up a 3rd for him, even if it were for one year.

Remember though, the team he would get traded to would have another tag year as well.

Someone is going to really overpay for this guy.