Eagles News: “Strong case as one of the worst defenses in football”

kskboys

Reaction score
I think that’s their biggest drop off from last year… Coordinators. I hope they keep both of those guys lol.
No, their biggest drop off is losing LB Edwards, not to mention both their starting S's and their starting NT. The one who had 11 sacks.

Cowboys1966

Reaction score
No, their biggest drop off is losing LB Edwards, not to mention both their starting S's and their starting NT. The one who had 11 sacks.
I don’t think Edwards was that good… I Jalen, Carter versus hargrave… I think I’d rather have Carter, as a hargrave was a liability against the run.

Cowboys1966

Reaction score
That's what happens when you let a pile of D players go to pay your QB huge. But they got them some WR's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Isn't it funny, not long ago fans on this site were using the Eagles as a barometer, complaining that we didn't go out and sign a bunch of expensive players like they did. Well, this is always the end result. You end up being not as good.
Dude, we’ve been in first in the east for six days… Eight days from now we are probably behind them… You are setting yourself up for a crushing disappointment. Sure, be jacked up for this team… It was a great win… But you’re certainTy that the Eagles are trash is a little naïve.

Verdict

Reaction score
I don’t buy it at all. Their D isn’t that bad. Their DL is pretty good although Cox is getting old and Jordan Davis hasn’t become the monster expected. They also lost Dean. Their secondary and their LBs have been their weakness and if the pass rush doesn’t get home or stop the run, it’s a problem for them. I’d say their D is better than average but has some flaws like most.
Earlier in the season I would have said that the Eagles have a top 10 defensive line. They have not been playing like they have a top 10 defensive line the past few games.

I wonder how much of the Eagles’ defensive woes are based on fatigue and age. They seem to be getting a bit worse as they go.

Seattle has a great chance to beat the Eagles this weekend. The 49ers manhandled them. Dallas beat up on them and now they go on the road to Seattle who always play physical and the Eagles are minus slay.

If Seattle plays well, this game is Seattle’s game to lose. I would predict an Eagles loss here.

I think Dallas could easily lose too and remain in a deadlock with Eagles.

blueblood70

Reaction score
..but wait, I thought the safety they acquired during trade week was suppose to kick it up a notch?

Then what about Shaq the ALL PRO lb they also acquired?

I guess, they didnt see the bigger picture.
Actually, could go all the way back to the offseason all this talk and accolades that their GM gets, yet not any other moves have worked out...

yeah everyone bashes Jerry Jones for not making enough moves and we like our guys and blah blah blah

look when you're making moves to fill huge holes because your team is in desperate need for players that is not genius moves that is something all GM's do when they're trying to stop the bleeding.
you know the dam is cracking they lost a lot of players in the offseason they lost coaches in the offseason, and they made a lot of moves before game one all season long trying to fill holes and everyone with any common sense look at it and go stop blaming Jerry for not making moves when there was no moves to be made that made sense...

yet Howie Roseman or whatever the hell his name is was getting all this publicity on our own page as how he just keeps trying to make his team better well here's the thing our team was already better in my opinion and we outplayed them in both games and it sucks we lost on some weird plays that happened in the last five minutes of that game including the referee no call on schoonmaker we still played better than the Eagles...

Jerry Jones has made some of the same moves if you look at A.J. Brown probably one of their better moves we did that with amari Cooper that's not special we made a trade we gave miss standard contract the Cowboys have brought in a lot of players the last two years when they felt the need for it this year they did not feel the need for it

many of us I can't remember who but for me go back and look at my posts back when these trade deadline moves are being made, I said how about we wait to see how these players fit in and how they help and so far they're just a bunch of moving parts that really are just playing but not doing anything to make the team improved...

Never ceases to amaze me on all the Eagles love that goes on in here for no reason really, I mean they made the Super bowl last year great they got lucky they had one of the weakest postseason opponents when you look at the fact that they got to play the giants in a 49er team with their third quarterback... And yet there's still this place still acting as if there's some huge gap between the Eagles and the Cowboys and there never really has been they just spend the luckier and after opportunistic team and right now it's starting to go the other direction...

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
This Eagles team is nowhere near last year’s team.

Defenses have adjusted to that funky offense and Hurts running. It was Hurts legs that made them so difficult to beat last year. With defenses struggling to keep Hurts from picking up the first down with his legs, they were leaving the passing windows wide open. That meant that it didn’t really matter that Hurts struggles with accuracy and reading defenses, because guys were so wide open.

This year, defenses are playing them differently and the passing windows are now normal sized and Hurts is having to read defenses… that is really bad news when your QB struggles to figure out coverage and has poor accuracy.

And now, since the offense can no longer pick up first down after first down, the defense isn’t protected anymore and isn’t playing with a lead that allows the pass rushers to just pin their ears back and go. The defense isn’t on huge time of possession advantage and rested.

This year’s team isn’t close to last year’s because defenses have figured out how to play that gimmicky offense… like they always do with those things.

The best thing that came out of last year is that Philly paid Hurts huge money, lol. Terrible mistake.

And that leads me to the roster: they lost a lot of guys they wanted to keep but couldn't because of money, and that further changes this year’s squad. Their RG, Hargrave, their LB’s, their safety. Hargrave was the biggest loss. Carter might eventually be as good as him, but not this season… and he will never be as smart a player as Hargrave.

Philly fans like to blame this mess on the two coordinators but it is way more than that.

They also like to say what a gauntlet they just played but KC and Buffalo aren’t what people expected this season. Those teams aren’t bad but they are no longer the cream of the NFL. Lots of teams are beating KC and Buffalo. Barely beating them doesn’t make Philly a good team.

Anyway, watching Philly fans who are acting like Dallas fans come in here and continue making excuses for that team is hilarious and never fails to amuse me.

Praxit

Reaction score
Actually, could go all the way back to the offseason all this talk and accolades that their GM gets, yet not any other moves have worked out...

yeah everyone bashes Jerry Jones for not making enough moves and we like our guys and blah blah blah

look when you're making moves to fill huge holes because your team is in desperate need for players that is not genius moves that is something all GM's do when they're trying to stop the bleeding.
you know the dam is cracking they lost a lot of players in the offseason they lost coaches in the offseason, and they made a lot of moves before game one all season long trying to fill holes and everyone with any common sense look at it and go stop blaming Jerry for not making moves when there was no moves to be made that made sense...

yet Howie Roseman or whatever the hell his name is was getting all this publicity on our own page as how he just keeps trying to make his team better well here's the thing our team was already better in my opinion and we outplayed them in both games and it sucks we lost on some weird plays that happened in the last five minutes of that game including the referee no call on schoonmaker we still played better than the Eagles...

Jerry Jones has made some of the same moves if you look at A.J. Brown probably one of their better moves we did that with amari Cooper that's not special we made a trade we gave miss standard contract the Cowboys have brought in a lot of players the last two years when they felt the need for it this year they did not feel the need for it

many of us I can't remember who but for me go back and look at my posts back when these trade deadline moves are being made, I said how about we wait to see how these players fit in and how they help and so far they're just a bunch of moving parts that really are just playing but not doing anything to make the team improved...

Never ceases to amaze me on all the Eagles love that goes on in here for no reason really, I mean they made the Super bowl last year great they got lucky they had one of the weakest postseason opponents when you look at the fact that they got to play the giants in a 49er team with their third quarterback... And yet there's still this place still acting as if there's some huge gap between the Eagles and the Cowboys and there never really has been they just spend the luckier and after opportunistic team and right now it's starting to go the other direction...
..yep, Im with on you those takes. When the deadline lingered and everyone is *****in Beags are making moves, and we're standing still.

I thought myself Jerry and Co already made those big trades off season. But because Beags were still undefeated at that juncture, they looked like a team who had all together.

Now, the oil has begun to surface with Beags.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score

Facts…

ghst187

Reaction score
Earlier in the season I would have said that the Eagles have a top 10 defensive line. They have not been playing like they have a top 10 defensive line the past few games.

I wonder how much of the Eagles’ defensive woes are based on fatigue and age. They seem to be getting a bit worse as they go.

Seattle has a great chance to beat the Eagles this weekend. The 49ers manhandled them. Dallas beat up on them and now they go on the road to Seattle who always play physical and the Eagles are minus slay.

If Seattle plays well, this game is Seattle’s game to lose. I would predict an Eagles loss here.

Yeah I agree, they seem to be getting weaker or I’m wondering if teams have just figured out the hack. Their best player is still Cox and he is really old. But I will say it’s not like Dak had all day to throw against him, they def got pressure to include sacks and strip/fumble/td. Get rid of the ball quickly and their back seven are pretty average. I agree on Seattle too, if Seattle and Gino does what they did against us, they could win by more than one score. Gino was getting rid of the ball super quickly plus he was throwing dimes. We say Bland and the second art got burned but man some of those throws were not defendable they were so perfect.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Seems like I called it before the season. Carter after Hargraves would be a wash but the losses on the back 7 would be significant.

kskboys

Reaction score
Dude, we’ve been in first in the east for six days… Eight days from now we are probably behind them… You are setting yourself up for a crushing disappointment. Sure, be jacked up for this team… It was a great win… But you’re certainTy that the Eagles are trash is a little naïve.
It's like you just typed crapp in w/o reading my post. Your answer doesn't fit my post at all.

kskboys

Reaction score
This Eagles team is nowhere near last year’s team.

Defenses have adjusted to that funky offense and Hurts running. It was Hurts legs that made them so difficult to beat last year. With defenses struggling to keep Hurts from picking up the first down with his legs, they were leaving the passing windows wide open. That meant that it didn’t really matter that Hurts struggles with accuracy and reading defenses, because guys were so wide open.

This year, defenses are playing them differently and the passing windows are now normal sized and Hurts is having to read defenses… that is really bad news when your QB struggles to figure out coverage and has poor accuracy.

And now, since the offense can no longer pick up first down after first down, the defense isn’t protected anymore and isn’t playing with a lead that allows the pass rushers to just pin their ears back and go. The defense isn’t on huge time of possession advantage and rested.

This year’s team isn’t close to last year’s because defenses have figured out how to play that gimmicky offense… like they always do with those things.

The best thing that came out of last year is that Philly paid Hurts huge money, lol. Terrible mistake.

And that leads me to the roster: they lost a lot of guys they wanted to keep but couldn't because of money, and that further changes this year’s squad. Their RG, Hargrave, their LB’s, their safety. Hargrave was the biggest loss. Carter might eventually be as good as him, but not this season… and he will never be as smart a player as Hargrave.

Philly fans like to blame this mess on the two coordinators but it is way more than that.

They also like to say what a gauntlet they just played but KC and Buffalo aren’t what people expected this season. Those teams aren’t bad but they are no longer the cream of the NFL. Lots of teams are beating KC and Buffalo. Barely beating them doesn’t make Philly a good team.

Anyway, watching Philly fans who are acting like Dallas fans come in here and continue making excuses for that team is hilarious and never fails to amuse me.
Very well done.

Doesn't help that they lost both starting S's. I counted the other day, they lost around 62 games started on D. That is a ton.

It's easy to look good in the secondary when you're bringing massive interior pressure. Losing Hargraves is hurting them a ton more than they thought.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Seems like I called it before the season. Carter after Hargraves would be a wash but the losses on the back 7 would be significant.
I remember you saying that, I believe.

I was saying in the off season that defenses would take the summer to figure out that gimmick offense and that Philly fans better hope they don’t figure it out because Hurts converting third downs with his legs was what made that entire team go.

Sure enough, defensive coordinators found a way, like they always do.

kskboys

Reaction score
I remember you saying that, I believe.

I was saying in the off season that defenses would take the summer to figure out that gimmick offense and that Philly fans better hope they don’t figure it out because Hurts converting third downs with his legs was what made that entire team go.

Sure enough, defensive coordinators found a way, like they always do.
Not to mention the fact that running QBs always get hurt. Their O last season was quite simply not sustainable.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Wrong position. Davis is replacing Hargraves.
Yeah, getting 11 sacks from a guy who is essentially your 1T/NT is huge. That’s why I said losing Hargraves was such a huge deal. He made a huge difference. Davis isn’t a replacement for him either… he’s just a big guy that ran fast and so Howie traded up for him in the first round. He doesn’t make plays. He’s nothing like Hargraves.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Yeah, getting 11 sacks from a guy who is essentially your 1T/NT is huge. That’s why I said losing Hargraves was such a huge deal. He made a huge difference. Davis isn’t a replacement for him either… he’s just a big guy that ran fast and so Howie traded up for him in the first round. He doesn’t make plays. He’s nothing like Hargraves.
I think that he settles into mean and actually becomes a real problem to overcome. For now at least, Martin and Smith handle the picture well.

ghst187

Reaction score

Eagles’ top CB Slay is out for a while now too

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/39124747/darius-slay-rejoin-eagles-knee-surgery-sources-say