Eagles Push the Tush play to stay

Kwyn

Reaction score
The Philadelphia Eagles found a cheat code for short-yardage situations last season with their now-infamous push play. There is currently no rule proposal on the play and NFL Competition Committee chairman Rich McKay said there is no injury data that makes it cause for concern, reports AP Lead NFL Writer Rob Maaddi. For now, the play is to stay.

The Eagles were one of the best-rushing teams in the NFL last season, and the push play was their go-to play call when needing a short conversion. Quarterback Jalen Hurts would take the snap and the rest of the backfield, including the tight end, would push Hurts from behind. It would usually result in a conversion.

Throughout the year, the play was a point of controversy for NFL media and fans. The major gripe with the play is that it is simply unfair in short-yardage situations, as it is nearly impossible to stop the momentum it generates in order to gain just a yard or so.

Arguments against the play have not generated enough steam, as it now looks like the play will still be legal. Since the push play will still be allowed, it will be interesting to see if other teams adopt it.

Along with other teams adopting it, methods to stop the push play are sure to materialize on the defensive side of the ball. This could lead to greater argument in favor of banning the play. The most reasonable response would be to stack the defensive line right over the ball, and undoubtedly leading to a greater chance of injury.
I saw Tomlinson say defenses will start to push too.

All the lore reason to need up the interior D.

InPhiltraitor

Reaction score
They have perfect personnel line and qb super strong. Key is not let them get short yardage but advantage for them. Can play 3rd down to get into 4th and 1-2 - makes them tough.
I mentioned it on another thread. The Birds were essentially playing first and 8 last year while the rest of the league was playing first and ten.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Imagine how much more effective it will be if you add Zeke's head into the equation.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Eagles are now toying with the idea of replacing Hurts in that formation with Jordan Davis.

We should sign that fat blob from "1000 Pound Sisters", the one who is so fat even her forehead has blubber on it, and PLOP her right in the middle of the line when they go for that play.

It's not even about her weight. Jason Kelce would be too busy vomiting geysers to get much of a push at all.
That may be the evolution of the play. If running backs can run the wildcat, then they can run the sneak with the offense shoving him forward. I wouldn't use a lineman because a) they aren't known for their hands and b) you know that it's going to be the sneak, which does increase the chance that defenses will come up with a way to stop it. Philly still has the element of being able to hand off, run to the outside or even throw. Using an RB wouldn't necessarily eliminate the throwing option, but it would eliminate the risk to the QB.

MikeT22

Reaction score
“Rich McKay said there is no injury data that makes it cause for concern, reports AP Lead NFL Writer Rob Maaddi. For now, the play is to stay.”

So rules only get implemented due to injury concerns?

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
“Rich McKay said there is no injury data that makes it cause for concern, reports AP Lead NFL Writer Rob Maaddi. For now, the play is to stay.”

So rules only get implemented due to injury concerns?
Is there a better reason? Prior to 2015 you could not assist the ball carrier by pushing him. They changed the rule. No idea why. Eagles found a way to use it to advantage. The other 31 teams can do the same thing. It is not a complicated play.

nobody

Reaction score
He ran it a ton without injury last year….Speed times mass- and on that play you are not moving very fast lol
Yes, but what did that do to his shelf-life as an NFL player in regards to longevity? It's the same problem running backs face. It wears them down faster.

Nav22

Reaction score
Aside from hating the Eagles, I never understood any justification for banning the play. It's not any more dangerous than a "normal" QB sneak.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
its cheating. Terrible.
Look, I hate the Eagles just as much as the next guy, but how exactly is this considered cheating?

The rule has been on the books since 2015 and states that an offensive player with the football can be pushed forward by other players to gain additional yardage.

What part of this rule are the Eagle's violating?

Beaker42

Reaction score
I want to see ALL pushing by the carrier’s teammates. They already made it so a defender can’t go low on an OL leading on a run. It sucks. If I wanted to watch rugby, I’d watch rugby.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Aside from hating the Eagles, I never understood any justification for banning the play. It's not any more dangerous than a "normal" QB sneak.
That is what the competition committee said, there is no evidence that this play leads to an increase in injuries.

So what is the justification for banning it considering the play has been legal since 2015?

Hadenough

Reaction score
The Philadelphia Eagles found a cheat code for short-yardage situations last season with their now-infamous push play. There is currently no rule proposal on the play and NFL Competition Committee chairman Rich McKay said there is no injury data that makes it cause for concern, reports AP Lead NFL Writer Rob Maaddi. For now, the play is to stay.

The Eagles were one of the best-rushing teams in the NFL last season, and the push play was their go-to play call when needing a short conversion. Quarterback Jalen Hurts would take the snap and the rest of the backfield, including the tight end, would push Hurts from behind. It would usually result in a conversion.

Throughout the year, the play was a point of controversy for NFL media and fans. The major gripe with the play is that it is simply unfair in short-yardage situations, as it is nearly impossible to stop the momentum it generates in order to gain just a yard or so.

Arguments against the play have not generated enough steam, as it now looks like the play will still be legal. Since the push play will still be allowed, it will be interesting to see if other teams adopt it.

Along with other teams adopting it, methods to stop the push play are sure to materialize on the defensive side of the ball. This could lead to greater argument in favor of banning the play. The most reasonable response would be to stack the defensive line right over the ball, and undoubtedly leading to a greater chance of injury.
To me a lot of those 4th down conversion were made without all the pushing. I mean Hurts can squat 600lbs. The dude is strong as a bull. If they stack the line in the center Hurts will just pitch it outside to the RB.

blueblood70

Reaction score

right cant beat them join them.. but for us the refs will claim they dont know where the ball was in the crowd and say it was short and no challenge remember those with dak at the goal line. Right they will find way to screw us either way,

Jarntt

Reaction score
No big deal, but I don't like it. It isn't reallly football to me. It wasn't always even legal. I think I read it was legal originally, then made illegal and then made legal again in 2005. I think they should have made the rule that no more than one player can push a ball carrier at any one time. I thought that would be a good compromise.Our guys do it a lot too at the end of runs, so it's not just an Eagle thing, but I would just prefer tinkering with the rule a little.

Jarntt

Reaction score
When first seeing the thread title, I was a little concerned with what the "Eagles Tush play" was exactly...