Eagles Push the Tush play to stay

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So just line up, like you are going to do the push play.
But the QB steps back and does a quick pass as a TE or WR quickly runs behind the defense lined up stacking the middle.

Kind of like the hurry up line up to spike the ball, only for the QB to throw a quick pass instead of spiking the ball.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
So just line up, like you are going to do the push play.
But the QB steps back and does a quick pass as a TE or WR quickly runs behind the defense lined up stacking the middle.

Kind of like the hurry up line up to spike the ball, only for the QB to throw a quick pass instead of spiking the ball.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
Jesus change the name of this play....If that was the play name the players should be like "Nope"..Streamroller, Sledgehammer, Yardbuster, 1 ball 22 legs...I dont care but push the tush is a straight no!

GMO415

Reaction score
Only if Dallas had used this formation would the conversation of outlawing it, be taking effect.

Vanilla2

Reaction score
For the most part I have always found ZZ Top hard to listen to. The sound doesn’t mesh with a good mellow.

Am I the one ?

DZSierra

Reaction score
The Philadelphia Eagles found a cheat code for short-yardage situations last season with their now-infamous push play. There is currently no rule proposal on the play and NFL Competition Committee chairman Rich McKay said there is no injury data that makes it cause for concern, reports AP Lead NFL Writer Rob Maaddi. For now, the play is to stay.

The Eagles were one of the best-rushing teams in the NFL last season, and the push play was their go-to play call when needing a short conversion. Quarterback Jalen Hurts would take the snap and the rest of the backfield, including the tight end, would push Hurts from behind. It would usually result in a conversion.

Throughout the year, the play was a point of controversy for NFL media and fans. The major gripe with the play is that it is simply unfair in short-yardage situations, as it is nearly impossible to stop the momentum it generates in order to gain just a yard or so.

Arguments against the play have not generated enough steam, as it now looks like the play will still be legal. Since the push play will still be allowed, it will be interesting to see if other teams adopt it.

Along with other teams adopting it, methods to stop the push play are sure to materialize on the defensive side of the ball. This could lead to greater argument in favor of banning the play. The most reasonable response would be to stack the defensive line right over the ball, and undoubtedly leading to a greater chance of injury.
The ONLY reason why it was a point of controversy is because everyone knew the play was coming, and yet it seemed no one stop it.

May not like to, but you have to give them credit for apparently practicing that play and coming up with it. I have the feeling when it becomes unsuccessful on their end, they'll stop running it.

Verdict

Reaction score
Yes, unless McCarthy & Schottenheimer are morons they better teach it. It should have been taught as soon as they saw the eagles were getting away with it last year.
You guys should know by now that just because another team gets by with it doesn’t mean that the Cowboys will get by with it. Not a jab at you. I’m just sayin’…

erod

Reaction score
Jesus change the name of this play....If that was the play name the players should be like "Nope"..Streamroller, Sledgehammer, Yardbuster, 1 ball 22 legs...I dont care but push the tush is a straight no!
Prude!

BrassCowboy

Reaction score
Find nothing wrong with the play, and it should stay. Everyone can do it

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
I hate the Eagles just as much as the next Cowboy's fan, but I am not in favor of banning the play just because the Eagles use it as a short yardage "cheat code".

Give the Eagles credit for being the first team to come up with a "rugby scrum" that is almost unstoppable in short yardage.

Now lets see how defensive coordinators around the league respond to this. It is like when the "wildcat" offense first started and teams had trouble stopping it for a while and then defenses adjusted and the wildcat is not nearly as successful now as when it first started.

Same thing will happen with the "rugby scrum", some team will come up with a unique defensive formation to counter it.