Eagles waive former 1st round pick DE Derek Barnett

StarOfGlory

Reaction score
To be fair, drafting Jalen and Davonta took no skill at all
Took some balls to draft Carter. Big risk/reward factor there. Quite a few teams in front of the Eagles could have really used him but the off-field issues scared them away. Roseman traded up for the chance at that reward.

exciter

Reaction score
I thought Barnett was one of the major pieces to their line. He's definitely better than Leonard isn't he?
He’s played in 9 games in the last 2 seasons. Had 2 total sacks in 2021, (missed all but one game 2022)…none since, including the 8 games this season!

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Took some balls to draft Carter. Big risk/reward factor there. Quite a few teams in front of the Eagles could have really used him but the off-field issues scared them away. Roseman traded up for the chance at that reward.
It didn't take balls look where they picked. I can see if it was between him and Bijan....but I mean it was a no brainer. The teams in front of them sucked. Eagles went to the SB so they can essentially afford to take the best player. Bears or Atlanta couldn't do that.

StarOfGlory

Reaction score
It didn't take balls look where they picked. I can see if it was between him and Bijan....but I mean it was a no brainer. The teams in front of them sucked. Eagles went to the SB so they can essentially afford to take the best player. Bears or Atlanta couldn't do that.
Bears needed Carter more than Philly. Their fans were screaming to draft him. Falcons and Raiders too. Stupid Falcons HC isn't even using Bijan properly. All three of those teams sucked and might gladly take Carter if a redraft was allowed. It's never a no brainer with character issues. Just stop already.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Bears needed Carter more than Philly. Their fans were screaming to draft him. Falcons and Raiders too. Stupid Falcons HC isn't even using Bijan properly. All three of those teams sucked and might gladly take Carter if a redraft was allowed. It's never a no brainer with character issues. Just stop already.
It wasn't stupid. It made sense. Bears and Raiders for sure did not need the headache. Raiders for damn sure didn't after Henry Ruggs. They couldn't even take that PR hit.

Arthur Smith will be gone before Bijan. I respected them taking Bijan. Why he didn't want to use him didn't make sense to me.

And it is a no brainer. If my team is in the SB and I just lost Hargraves to free agency and I essentially need a 3T how isn't it a no brainer? They literally were in the SUPER BOWL. Bears sucked. Falcons sucked. Raiders sucked. If those teams took him that was far riskier. Philly took him with Fletcher Cox in the locker room. No brainer to take the best player in the draft. Or one of them anyway. Maybe some felt Bijan was....

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
I thought Barnett was one of the major pieces to their line. He's definitely better than Leonard isn't he?
He has 1 tackle and 0 sacks on the year after getting only 2 sacks last year

Not sure what the market for him was, but it was probably a mistake resigning with Philly.

Between Hasan Reddick playing a bit of a Micah Parsons hybrid LB/DE role, Josh Sweat, Brandon Graham and Nolan Carter there just aren't that many available snaps for him

Robster8989

Reaction score
He has 1 tackle and 0 sacks on the year after getting only 2 sacks last year

Not sure what the market for him was, but it was probably a mistake resigning with Philly.

Between Hasan Reddick playing a bit of a Micah Parsons hybrid LB/DE role, Josh Sweat, Brandon Graham and Nolan Carter there just aren't that many available snaps for him
Yep.
He was a solid player early on, but he fell way back in their rotaion and demanded a trade.
Looks like they couldn't accommodate a trade so they cut him.

shabazz

Reaction score
Another great 1st round pick by Howie.....cut. The resume just keeps getting better.
See , thats just the point. Roseman is willing to put ego aside and admit when a player hasn’t worked out

Unlike Jerry that almost always refuses to admit a mistake in drafting…..he overvalues his players like no other.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Possibly, or making room for Suh.

Leonard played for Siriani when they were both with the Colts. They have a relationship.
Siriani was the OC. Leonard is a defensive player. The HC might deal with folks on both sides of the ball but not so much the coordinators.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Yep.
He was a solid player early on, but he fell way back in their rotaion and demanded a trade.
Looks like they couldn't accommodate a trade so they cut him.
Perhaps because the trade deadline was a good long while ago?

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
Possibly, or making room for Suh.

Leonard played for Siriani when they were both with the Colts. They have a relationship.
Sirianni was the OC. I assume they were aware of one another. Don’t know how much of an association they had.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
Dallas Goedert was a 2nd round pick. I'm referencing 1st rounders.Reagor sucked, Dillard sucked, Barnett sucked....Davonta and Jalen are good.
Someone will sign Barnett pretty quickly. Same with Leonard, but not for big money. They’ve both done pretty well by NFL player standards, financially.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
See , thats just the point. Roseman is willing to put ego aside and admit when a player hasn’t worked out

Unlike Jerry that almost always refuses to admit a mistake in drafting…..he overvalues his players like no other.
That's ridiculous.

Barnett was mediocre in his first four years but Roseman signed him to a new three year deal -- a modest 5 mill a year but that's ego, keeping an edge who produced 21.5 sacks in seven seasons.

Wow. How brave, Roseman released him with seven games left on his contract! Way to cut bait!

Compare that to how quickly we rid of Taco. Please do that so you can add factual commentary next time.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score

Barnett was drafted in 2017.....its 2023 lol....Jerry at least got rid of Taco and Trysten long before 6 years lol.