Eagles waive former 1st round pick DE Derek Barnett

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
now why would they do something to improve their team, and not let others beat them to the punch.....oh, because it's Howie's world and we just live in it
Just a guess, but he’ll likely get the most pay from a team that’s got a chance, but is not a lock for a playoff spot than a team that feels strongly they’re in. Buffalo, Minnesota.

conner01

Reaction score
Our gm is better than philly gm. Lol. You know the gm with zero super bowls in 27 years
The draft is more about scouting than typical GM management of the roster. GM’s get the credit but scouts find the gems. Picking early is easy but hitting on a stud in the 5 or 6 is about great scouting

mattwill

Reaction score
To be fair, drafting Jalen and Davonta took no skill at all
I respectfully disagree. (1) the pick(s) the Eagles had for each of them wasn’t theirs prior to the Draft. Howie acquired those picks. (2) if it took no skill, then why didn’t other teams select them before Howie did?

mattwill

Reaction score
The draft is more about scouting than typical GM management of the roster. GM’s get the credit but scouts find the gems. Picking early is easy but hitting on a stud in the 5 or 6 is about great scouting
I agree 100%

BTW how do I “like” a comment on this board?

mattwill

Reaction score
To be fair, drafting Jalen and Davonta took no skill at all
In the case of Jalen, the Eagles own pick was #31. The skill was in large part getting to pick at #9 rather than having to wait until #31.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
Barnett was a tape over traits pick. The film said "SEC sack daddy super-stud", the workout said "Dorance Armstrong-esque rotational end".

I don't blame the Eagles for taking him high because the tape was so good, but Barnett has shown why DE is the most measurables-driven position in football.

mattwill

Reaction score
Siriani was the OC. Leonard is a defensive player. The HC might deal with folks on both sides of the ball but not so much the coordinators.
That is clearly the norm, but tweets like the one below are not the norm either.

mattwill

Reaction score
Barnett was a tape over traits pick. The film said "SEC sack daddy super-stud", the workout said "Dorance Armstrong-esque rotational end".

I don't blame the Eagles for taking him high because the tape was so good, but Barnett has shown why DE is the most measurables-driven position in football.
Well said.

mattwill

Reaction score
That's ridiculous.

Barnett was mediocre in his first four years but Roseman signed him to a new three year deal -- a modest 5 mill a year but that's ego, keeping an edge who produced 21.5 sacks in seven seasons.

Wow. How brave, Roseman released him with seven games left on his contract! Way to cut bait!

Compare that to how quickly we rid of Taco. Please do that so you can add factual commentary next time.
I agree 100%. Well said Abe.

Aven8

Reaction score
All the best GMs are no better than "sometimes good and sometimes not so good." How do you rate Jerry?
Well I don’t rate Jerry because now he’s only the GM in title. McClay and company are the true evaluators. In the first round they are killing it.

mattwill

Reaction score
Dallas Goedert was a 2nd round pick. I'm referencing 1st rounders.Reagor sucked, Dillard sucked, Barnett sucked....Davonta and Jalen are good.
Reagor definitely sucked. Both Dillard and Barnett were serviceable. Given that over 50% of First Round picks in the NFL fail, both Dillard and Barnett are average … nothing more, nothing less.