Twitter: Earl out here teasing us

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
A new day and ET is still a seahawk. Go figure. I think I may do this everyday until training camp starts just for @Idgit.

Go for it. I suggest you do it until the trade deadline actually passes. Then we can pop some beers and agree that what I said would probably happen, happened.

Unless he is actually traded to Dallas. In which case we can pop the beers and agree that what I said could possibly happen-and which you said was impossible-actually happened. Either way, we get the beers, appreciate my foresight, and can have a good laugh.

Jstopper

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I should have wrote pro bowl not all pro.

Pro bowl is a popularity contest that can be skewed by fan voting and it allows ppl to be substituted out if people ahead of you decline to go. All pro team is voted on strictly by the Associated Press, there are no substitution so if you make all pro it was off your merits not reputation. Earl Thomas made the all pro team last year. Meaning he was 3rd best safety in NFL last year. So he's not some declining safety he is still the real deal playing at the highest level

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score

This used to be mildly amusing. Now it is just flat out stupid and so is he for continuing to do it.

ehwqkbmg

Reaction score
Stephen Jones will make sure that his dad does not give up a 2nd rounder and big $$$$ for a 30 year old safety.
It won't happen because the Seahawks will get a 3rd round comp pick if he leaves in free agency after this coming season, and even then the Seahawks don't have to let him go, they can franchise him for the next two seasons if they feel a 3rd round comp pick is too little to let him walk.

It'll be like the Le'veon Bell situation. Teams are the ones in control, not the players.

GhostOfPelluer

Reaction score

This used to be mildly amusing. Now it is just flat out stupid and so is he for continuing to do it.

He's stupid for using the only means he has to try to facilitate future earnings stability?

Think about your post for a minute. If any of us were in his position we'd be stupid to not do the same thing.

I've never understood fans that side with ownership over players. It's the players who live with the long-term consequences of this brutal sport. They should be able to get whatever they can, however it takes to get it.

phildadon86

Reaction score
It won't happen because the Seahawks will get a 3rd round comp pick if he leaves in free agency after this coming season, and even then the Seahawks don't have to let him go, they can franchise him for the next two seasons if they feel a 3rd round comp pick is too little to let him walk.

It'll be like the Le'veon Bell situation. Teams are the ones in control, not the players.
I dont think they can franchise him

silvrNblue

Reaction score
We can all hope and dream. ET would bring ALOT of what's missing on our D with him. Yes he is an older player, but with age comes a ton of things it takes a young player to recognize and learn, namely patience, and 1st look knowledge of what's being run before the snap of the ball. I am sure there isn't a single cowboy fan not hoping to see ET in a star, but in accordance with that, we don NOT want to mortgage the house for him either. Let's all cross our fingers, and rub a lucky coin just to make sure!

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Part of me worries that it's all about the extension, and getting the absolute most money that he can. If that's the case, and the sole reason for him doing this, I say let him stay in Seattle. We've just set the benchmark for a guard's contract, I'm not in a hurry to now set it for the safety position as well. In fact, looking around the landscape of the NFL, the salaries for the safety position are going down, not up.

GhostOfPelluer

Reaction score
Part of me worries that it's all about the extension, and getting the absolute most money that he can. If that's the case, and the sole reason for him doing this, I say let him stay in Seattle. We've just set the benchmark for a guard's contract, I'm not in a hurry to now set it for the safety position as well. In fact, looking around the landscape of the NFL, the salaries for the safety position are going down, not up.
I'm sure it's all about the money. And you can't blame him for that. It should be all about the money. We should go into it with our eyes open to that fact.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm sure it's all about the money. And you can't blame him for that. It should be all about the money. We should go into it with our eyes open to that fact.

Then I'll pass.

I'd go as far as another deal that averages the $10 million he's getting now, but I'm not interested in setting the bar and paying him more than the $13 million that Eric Berry is getting.

I can understand and appreciate a player wanting security and wanting to get paid. But I can also appreciate a team saying that we're not giving up a premium draft pick to then have the right to have to set the high end of the market for the position. That's truly stupid for any team.

Just like the Cowboys and Seahawks would have to compromise for any trade to occur, Earl Thomas will have to compromise too. You can have your trade and "come home", and you can have your long term extension as well. But you can't also expect to set the market for your position. That's simply being greedy and expecting too much.

And if that's what he's looking for, he can go look elsewhere. Like I said, I think all parties need to compromise for any deal to happen. And if he won't, it won't.

GhostOfPelluer

Reaction score
Then I'll pass.

I'd go as far as another deal that averages the $10 million he's getting now, but I'm not interested in setting the bar and paying him more than the $13 million that Eric Berry is getting.

I can understand and appreciate a player wanting security and wanting to get paid. But I can also appreciate a team saying that we're not giving up a premium draft pick to then have the right to have to set the high end of the market for the position. That's truly stupid for any team.

Just like the Cowboys and Seahawks would have to compromise for any trade to occur, Earl Thomas will have to compromise too. You can have your trade and "come home", and you can have your long term extension as well. But you can't also expect to set the market for your position. That's simply being greedy and expecting too much.

And if that's what he's looking for, he can go look elsewhere. Like I said, I think all parties need to compromise for any deal to happen. And if he won't, it won't.
I don't blame you. I understand that point of view. I'd take the chance if it comes up, but it would be exactly that, taking a chance. I just see the possibility of a transforming presence on our defense. This guy is a stud. And he's not slowing down yet based on 2017.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't blame you. I understand that point of view. I'd take the chance if it comes up, but it would be exactly that, taking a chance. I just see the possibility of a transforming presence on our defense. This guy is a stud. And he's not slowing down yet based on 2017.

I can see your side of things as well. That's why I'm really torn on this one and can see how it could go either way. Both sides have a good argument.

erod

Reaction score
Then I'll pass.

Do you want to play good defense against good offenses this year or not? Because it entirely depends on whether Thomas is here or not.

Kris Richard is pushing hard for it.

Seattle would much rather have a 3rd or 4th in 10 months than a 3rd or 4th in 22 months. Especially with Thomas being a distraction in the meantime. Not that he wouldn't play, but the entire Seattle fan base and organization now knows he wants out of there, and that is a cloud that hangs over a city and team.

It's a constant story they need to get out from under. Either pay him or trade him. Get that story off the front sports page all season.

GhostOfPelluer

Reaction score
Do you want to play good defense against good offenses this year or not? Because it entirely depends on whether Thomas is here or not.

Kris Richard is pushing hard for it.

Seattle would much rather have a 3rd or 4th in 10 months than a 3rd or 4th in 22 months. Especially with Thomas being a distraction in the meantime. Not that he wouldn't play, but the entire Seattle fan base and organization now knows how he wants out of there, and that is a cloud that hangs over a city and team.
If Seattle would take a third then I think this deal would already be done. It's my understanding they are the ones holding it up.