Earl Thomas officially meets with Cowboys at NFL Combine-Undisputed

links18

Reaction score
Pay him whatever he wants, Jerry. You brought back Witten to win a Super Bowl in 2019, why stop there? OR were you just doing Wit a solid and giving him a way to avoid the public infamy of a failed broadcast career? If signing Witten is really about making the team a contender this year, Jerry will pay ET whatever he wants. That's how you will know what that was all about.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
If we want to be all in. If we want to be competitive, we've got to make a competitive offer here.

Had we made the trade for ET, we certainly wouldn't have also dropped a first for Cooper.

Now, we can have both.

People got to get off the injury issue here. Broken bones are freak plays. Be concerned about guys who have soft tissue issues every year. Be concerned about guys who've snapped multiple ligaments.

We are either all in or we aren't. Window ain't opening any wider.

Outlaw Heroes

Reaction score
If we want to be all in. If we want to be competitive, we've got to make a competitive offer here.

Had we made the trade for ET, we certainly wouldn't have also dropped a first for Cooper.

Now, we can have both.

People got to get off the injury issue here. Broken bones are freak plays. Be concerned about guys who have soft tissue issues every year. Be concerned about guys who've snapped multiple ligaments.

I'm less concerned about the injury, more concerned about the attitude. We're talking about a guy who:

1. is principally motivated by being the highest paid S in the league, rather than winning a championship;

2. publicly solicited interest from another team when he still had a year left on his contract with his current team; and

3. flipped the bird at his own bench when he got injured, after not getting the pay hike he wanted.

If RKG means anything, this ain't it.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Now, we can have both.

I'm curious to what your own terms for 'competitive' would be?

My own is that I'd be willing to pay him $10 million a year of that's what it took.

How high are you willing to go?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm less concerned about the injury, more concerned about the attitude. We're talking about a guy who:

1. is principally motivated by being the highest paid S in the league, rather than winning a championship;

2. publicly solicited interest from another team when he still had a year left on his contract with his current team; and

3. flipped the bird at his own bench when he got injured, after not getting the pay hike he wanted.

I wish RKG didn't mean anything.

Between Sean Lee, Tyrone Crawford, Jeff Heath, Allen Hurns, and now Jason Witten, this team is paying far too much money to 'right kinda guys' who don't help them to win games on Sundays.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
It sounds like there's a whole lot about Earl Thomas that ol' Marble Mouth doesn't know. He wants to make claims for what the guy will do, yet doesn't even know if he's married or not? And it's obvious that he didn't know of the fact that the Cowboys are Thomas' favorite team. So much so that the guy would rush from games and practices to watch them! That counts in the equation. You tell yourself how much it counts, but it's undeniable that it does.

Texas born man, Texas college player, Texas favorite team.

It is one of several advantages the Cowboys have in this situation.
The state tax thing factors, too.

If it's all about the money..

the additional bump there is a ton on a $14 mil/yr deal.

We will see.

Outlaw Heroes

Reaction score

Between Sean Lee, Tyrone Crawford, Jeff Heath, Allen Hurns, and now Jason Witten, this team is paying far too much money to 'right kinda guys' who don't help them to win games on Sundays.

Fair, (Though I'm a little less down on Crawford and Heath than you are.)

AbeBeta

Reaction score

You are looking for an excuse.

Do you want a player who gives our D the one thing it needs in turnovers? Or do you want to whine about him being upset his former team wouldn't commit?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The state tax thing factors, too.

If it's all about the money..

the additional bump there is a ton on a $14 mil/yr deal.

We will see.

Exactly right. That was one of the "other factors" I was alluding to.

A no-tax state has an advantage over others as well.

People like Sharpe want to blind themselves to them, but they're factors nonetheless.

Outlaw Heroes

Reaction score
You are looking for an excuse.

Do you want a player who gives our D the one thing it needs in turnovers? Or do you want to whine about him being upset his former team wouldn't commit?

I won't cry if we sign him. He's obviously a special talent. But I will be a little worried about he'll do to the locker room.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Fair, (Though I'm a little less down on Crawford and Heath than you are.)

I don't want to sound overly harsh, or get that nasty label that certain people are quick to give, but the fact is that both of those guys sit in positions at the top of the offseason needs lists. That's not coincidence.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score

Crawford's value just increased with Gregory and Irvin out.

After the draft who knows who becomes available.

These other guys are on a bubble sort of.

Austin as well.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I won't cry if we sign him. He's obviously a special talent. But I will be a little worried about he'll do to the locker room.

I worry about the money he's expecting rather than the locker room. By all indications, his teammates loved him and his contract issues with management never carried over to them, or doing everything he needed to do on the field.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
I'm curious to what your own terms for 'competitive' would be?

My own is that I'd be willing to pay him $10 million a year of that's what it took.

How high are you willing to go?
10 million and one, Waldo!!!

hudson-hawk-der-meisterdieb.jpg

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Crawford's value just increased with Gregory and Irvin out.

My feeling is that it shouldn't. Let's face facts, he's not replacing anything that either of those were bringing.

After the draft who knows who becomes available.

These other guys are on a bubble sort of.

I can find better ways to spend the $6 million I'd save with Crawford's release, and $15 million in salary over the next two years. And I can get over $20 million by sending overpriced nice guys packing.

This team has a bad habit of being hesitant to make 'uncomfortable decisions' with their players, specifically 'good guys' that they 'like'.

Austin as well.

Austin is a free agent.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score

Here is what I see..

Remember us signing Deion Sanders in the 90's?

He was a diva money hungry dude.

He was also the best at his position and was being signed from our chief competition..the 9ers.

It solidified the defense and we won championships with him.

Thomas is the same sort of catalyst.

We sign him and look for an opportunity at a DL if one suddenly appears like Cooper did this year.

Keep your fingers crossed.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
So based on most of the comments I’ve read, Earl is awesome and would make us a Super Bowl contender but if he signs somewhere else he’s old, injury prone and wouldn’t have been worth his asking price.

Very confusing.
Who contradicted themselves like that or are you just making it up?

glimmerman

Reaction score
My guess is that ET won’t be here. No way we are paying 13 million to him. He isn’t the best. I would pay him 8. And wouldn’t be happy about that. The first time he got burned or missed a tackle people gonna lose there minds. Lol.