Earl Thomas officially meets with Cowboys at NFL Combine-Undisputed

glimmerman

Reaction score
Here is what I see..

Remember us signing Deion Sanders in the 90's?

He was a diva money hungry dude.

He was also the best at his position and was being signed from our chief competition..the 9ers.

It solidified the defense and we won championships with him.

Thomas is the same sort of catalyst.

We sign him and look for an opportunity at a DL if one suddenly appears like Cooper did this year.

Keep your fingers crossed.
He wants to much. I understand he is starting there and likely knows he ain’t getting it, but what’s the bottom line. Will he take a incentive based deal.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He wants to much. I understand he is starting there and likely knows he ain’t getting it, but what’s the bottom line. Will he take a incentive based deal.

I'd say it's somewhere in between the crazy low $8 million you're talking about and the crazy high $13 million Earl Thomas is talking about.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
When Ganjory got disqualified, that changed the D landscape for me. With him the pass rush was mediocre, without him and a 1st round pick, I am not optimistic about improving the pass rush so I am in favor of improving the second most important, the back end.

I have 0 reservations about the injuries or about his dedication to helping this team and being a positive influence over the young secondary guys that would be under his leadership. That said, I do not like the things he's done but then I didn't like Sanders or Owens either and they came to play. And there's no denying he wanted to make more money, wanted that highest paid S label, but I think there were more problems that he had with the SEA organization.

The tell in this to me is how far they will go because that will tell me how badly Richard thinks he needs him.

What will surprise me is if he doesn't end up a Niner. His buddy is there and the GM is a former S. If they're not willing to fork over 13M ranking 7th in cap at 67M, that's another tell to me. If there's any GM in the league that can evaluate a S, it's Lynch.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Not unless he has to and with the money available, and from good teams too, I doubt that happens.

glimmerman

Reaction score
I'd say it's somewhere in between the crazy low $8 million you're talking about and the crazy high $13 million Earl Thomas is talking about.
8 million with incentives to make up to 12. Work for the money. I am guessing he is wanting a guaranteed check. I don’t blame him.

TWOK11

Reaction score
Here is what I see..

Remember us signing Deion Sanders in the 90's?

He was a diva money hungry dude.

He was also the best at his position and was being signed from our chief competition..the 9ers.

It solidified the defense and we won championships with him.

Thomas is the same sort of catalyst.

We sign him and look for an opportunity at a DL if one suddenly appears like Cooper did this year.

Keep your fingers crossed.

When we signed Deion he was 27 and coming off the best year of his career where he won DPOY.

Earl Thomas will be 30 in May and coming off a major lower body injury.

The situations aren’t really similar at all

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It will take at least 10M but it would not surprise me for him to get a 13M deal. Too much money out there and too few blue chippers. And any team interested can get the doc's report.

revospeed

Reaction score
We need Jason Witten’s 4 yard outs on 3rd and 8 more than we need a play a playmaking safety.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
8 million with incentives to make up to 12. Work for the money. I am guessing he is wanting a guaranteed check. I don’t blame him.

I think he'd take $10 million and I think he'd like to get as close to $30 million guaranteed as he can.

I'd give him both of those things, but I'm not paying him $13 million a year.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
When we signed Deion he was 27 and coming off the best year of his career where he won DPOY.

Earl Thomas will be 30 in May and coming off a major lower body injury.

The situations aren’t really similar at all
No they're not and Sanders didn't play a contact position, by design. And just as the Niners had done, the Cowboys were taking him away from a rival for added motivation.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think he'd take $10 million and I think he'd like to get as close to $30 million guaranteed as he can.

I'd give him both of those things, but I'm not paying him $13 million a year.
I would, Witten will retire again at the end of this season to be the news anchor on CBS and that frees up 3.5M for Earl the Pearl.

One thing for sure, it would be a lot easier negotiating with him if Booger hadn't made that comment about getting him at the right price. He might have dug in a little deeper after that.

stash, we paid 10M a year for Carr, I've got no problem with 13M for a better player at a much needed position.

Now, if my option was him at 13M or Jarrett or Richardson and Clark combined for that, I'd have to ponder on that but I think they'll go higher as well. Just too damned much money out there and a team as good as IND with 107M of a 188M cap is the craziest thing I've seen since this whole FA thing started. That GM deserves a gold jacket now. Hell, they could sweep the top 4 D positions and trade for Antonio Brown and maybe sign Bell.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If they did indeed offer a 2nd with the understanding they would have to pay him north of 10M, why would 11.5-13M stop them now? Unless that injury concerns them.

Cowfan75

Reaction score
Jerry and Stephen are in "win or bust" mode this season, but it has to be cheap...

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
Because every safety who’s better will never be available in their prime. It’s the Kurt Cousins situation, this is a super rare opportunity.

Kurt Cousins failed in Minnesota in 2018. I suggest the Gals go after ET and tag Foles. Both are a super rare opportunity for you guys

Aven8

Reaction score
Man, when he signs elsewhere there are going to be some sad pandas around here.

Another year of “wait for the ball carrier 15 yards downfield” Jeff Heath will do that to you.......

cheftjpeck

Reaction score
I could care less ... the only way I might care if he gets signed elsewhere for let’s say a 1-3 year deal at less than 10 million per ... then I would be frustrated yet again that we didn’t make a realistic offer .. personally my belief is he will sign somewhere else in the neighborhood of 10.5 to 13 million per year 3-4 years with 24-26 guaranteed