Earl Thomas officially meets with Cowboys at NFL Combine-Undisputed

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
He wants to much. I understand he is starting there and likely knows he ain’t getting it, but what’s the bottom line. Will he take a incentive based deal.
Here is what I see..

the dude single-handedly dismantled us with 2 ints. and a fumble recovery that ended the game against us.

How much is that worth to have him doing that for us?

We do not get turnovers.

How much is a guy who is a turnover machine in the secondary worth?

Him beating us like he did contributed to us not hosting the Divisional game and instead we got embarrassed by the Rams in their house.

You pay him what is needed and cut some corners somewhere else.

This is not going to be a long deal..

2 years and maybe an option for a 3rd year.

Long enough to see if this team will make their run.

Then we rebuild.

I want to win now and we have got a window that will slam shut when players start leaving as they will for more money once we win it all.

I do not need a calculator to figure this out.

Neither should the FO.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It will take at least 10M but it would not surprise me for him to get a 13M deal. Too much money out there and too few blue chippers. And any team interested can get the doc's report.

If anyone is willing to give him that much? As good as he has been, they can have him.

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
Here is what I see..

the dude single-handedly dismantled us with 2 ints. and a fumble recovery that ended the game against us.

How much is that worth to have him doing that for us?

We do not get turnovers.

How much is a guy who is a turnover machine in the secondary worth?

Him beating us like he did contributed to us not hosting the Divisional game and instead we got embarrassed by the Rams in their house.

You pay him what is needed and cut some corners somewhere else.

This is not going to be a long deal..

2 years and maybe an option for a 3rd year.

Long enough to see if this team will make their run.

Then we rebuild.

I want to win now and we have got a window that will slam shut when players start leaving as they will for more money once we win it all.

I do not need a calculator to figure this out.

Neither should the FO.

Here's the deal Red, IMO. The FO already knows what they're going to have to dole out for Tank and possible contract extensions for Dak, Cooper and BJ. . That's only good management and a start. If we knew as fans what that number was we could all get the calculator out. We don't, SJ does. What's left after that can be used for free agents. We have a few needs other than S too.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Seems odd that Woods would assume this is about him and not about Heath. Kids.

Hopefully the 'disrespect' will motivate him to improve his game.

Whatever. I'm tired of worrying whatsoever about 'hurt feelings'. This is football, not this:

71eRGgC-YdL._SX425_.jpg

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
lol, but you don't have a SB winning QB do you. What's a SB caliber S? One who wins a SB MVP? Nah, you don't have one of those

A safety good enough to get your team to the super bowl and compete at a high enough level to win it. And that’s great you don’t think we have a SB winning QB, that makes 2 of us. I wasn’t prepared for this to turn into another Dak bashing thread, but if that’s the way you want to go... Foles in your future, by your own judgement?

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
lol, but you don't have a SB winning QB do you. What's a SB caliber S? One who wins a SB MVP? Nah, you don't have one of those
SB history is full of QBs who are not perrenal All Pros.

Doug Williams with the Commanders

Joe Flacco with the Ravens

Johnson with TB..

Earl Morall with Baltimore

several more I am not going to bother researching.

Dak has enough ability to do it.

It's the rear of the team I question.

We have a tendency to get lazy just when we need to put the war paint on.

We will see.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
When we signed Deion he was 27 and coming off the best year of his career where he won DPOY.

Earl Thomas will be 30 in May and coming off a major lower body injury.

The situations aren’t really similar at all
Yes they are.

Niggles brother.

You are niggling me.

Stop it.

:laugh:

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
SB history is full of QBs who are not perrenal All Pros.

Doug Williams with the Commanders

Joe Flacco with the Ravens

Johnson with TB..

Earl Morall with Baltimore

several more I am not going to bother researching.

Dak has enough ability to do it.

It's the rear of the team I question.

We have a tendency to get lazy just when we need to put the war paint on.

We will see.

shhhhhh that QB comment was meant for @Aerolithe_Lion the eagle troll ;)

Verdict

Reaction score
Witten came back at a reasonable rate and he is already the best TE on the team; if Thomas came back at a reasonable rate, then I welcome him (he is certainly still VERY good)...but, if he is using Dallas as leverage to get paid (in general) and jack up his price, then go somewhere else....

Whether this is a good deal or not depends on a couple of things 1. Money and 2. Length of contract. I don't think he is playing 5 years from now at a high level. Can't be paying big bucks and top 5 money to a guy who isn't playing at an elite starter level.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Another year of “wait for the ball carrier 15 yards downfield” Jeff Heath will do that to you.......
I know.

Heath is the master of meet you 10 yards downfield.

He is the worst safety IMO.

Now that we have Wolf Hunter and Jaylon stuffing the run..

we need safeties who can cover and get game changing plays in tight games.

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
A safety good enough to get your team to the super bowl and compete at a high enough level to win it. And that’s great you don’t think we have a SB winning QB, that makes 2 of us. I wasn’t prepared for this to turn into another Dak bashing thread, but if that’s the way you want to go... Foles in your future, by your own judgement?

I know you don't have a SB winning QB. Not saying Wentz won't, just saying he hasn't. Foles got you there and hell nah, we can't afford ET and he won't want Foles money.

Pants

Reaction score
Whether this is a good deal or not depends on a couple of things 1. Money and 2. Length of contract. I don't think he is playing 5 years from now at a high level. Can't be paying big bucks and top 5 money to a guy who isn't playing at an elite starter level.

agreed, thus, the reasonable contract - Dallas can't get suckered into a "big name" just because they are in win-now mode (see: Witten)