Earl Thomas officially meets with Cowboys at NFL Combine-Undisputed

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
A safety good enough to get your team to the super bowl and compete at a high enough level to win it. And that’s great you don’t think we have a SB winning QB, that makes 2 of us. I wasn’t prepared for this to turn into another Dak bashing thread, but if that’s the way you want to go... Foles in your future, by your own judgement?

I'm not bashing Wentz. I think he is SB caliber but hasn't won anything yet. Neither has Prescott. As far as safeties, IMO, the Cowboys are more than a S (even it's it ET) from winning a SB. Ok, I'll stop bashing because I know you're a football fan.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
If ET is set on being the highest paid S then let him go to SF. Dallas needs to resign Lawrence extend Prescott and extend Cooper. Let Jones play out his 5th option and see if he can create some turnovers. I would hope they extend Elliot before Jones.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
ohhh yeah ... !

super awesome .
Sharp is a freaking hysterical clown.

I enjoy him.

I can only imagine the cellphone conversations b/w him and Skip in the car on the way to the studio when they get the topic from the producer at midnight that morning.

Got to be hysterical.

:lmao2:

AKATheRake

Reaction score
5 points that could have been brought up regarding finances to create an edge because we clearly have interest are:

1. ET knows this since he's from here. No state tax.

2. The endorsement deals are surely greater playing for the Dallas Cowboys as opposed to what he's been used to in a market like Seattle. Other than New York or L.A there are no comparable markets.

3. Playing for Jerry Jones and the Dallas Cowboys, there are many other work opportunities available post playing days. You're a former, prominent Cowboy and you're coaching, working in the media and so on.

4. ET was born and raised, played high school and college ball in Texas. Finishing playing ball in Texas would make him a Texas icon, especially if he helped solidify a Championship and possibly even a dynasty. That's a nice cash in for decades after his playing days even if he doesn't pursue NFL opportunities post playing.

5. The Jones' said they're ready to get aggressive, are going to sign up their core players in the next 2 season's and also sound like they are going to add the pieces to take a run while Jerry is still standing on his 2 feet. The cap can be manipulated. All of this talk about how will they pay for everything is comical. Especially when an organization feels they are in the window of winning it all. ET can get a market rate offering from us.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Seems odd that Woods would assume this is about him and not about Heath. Kids.

Hopefully the 'disrespect' will motivate him to improve his game.

Because Woods plays free safety and Thomas plays free safety. I don't think if we signed Thomas that we would ask him to play strong safety, so Woods would either have to be moved there or moved to backup, just like Heath had to move to strong safety. (Technically, Heath was supposed to move to strong safety the previous year to replace Church, but he did poorly at it causing us to move Byron Jones to SS and then bringing in Frazier on run downs when Jones also struggled with run support. Heath was much better, though, at SS last year when we moved him back to start Woods at FS.)

gimmesix

Reaction score
5. The Jones' said they're ready to get aggressive, are going to sign up their core players in the next 2 season's and also sound like they are going to add the pieces to take a run while Jerry is still standing on his 2 feet. The cap can be manipulated. All of this talk about how will they pay for everything is comical. Especially when an organization feels they are in the window of winning it all. ET can get a market rate offering from us.

I think the cap stuff is funny. Everyone acts like the Jones are spending their money or don't understand what the cap is. The Cowboys will pay whatever they feel that Thomas is worth if he doesn't price himself more than they think he's worth. That's the way they do business. Some deals work out well and some don't.

Outlaw Heroes

Reaction score
Because Woods plays free safety and Thomas plays free safety. I don't think if we signed Thomas that we would ask him to play strong safety, so Woods would either have to be moved there or moved to backup, just like Heath had to move to strong safety. (Technically, Heath was supposed to move to strong safety the previous year to replace Church, but he did poorly at it causing us to move Byron Jones to SS and then bringing in Frazier on run downs when Jones also struggled with run support. Heath was much better, though, at SS last year when we moved him back to start Woods at FS.)

I think Woods can play in the box. Likes to hit and that’s really his best attribute to this point. As between he and Heath he was probably better suited for FS. Doesn’t mean they won’t move him to SS if we find a true center fielder.

gimmesix

Reaction score
I think Woods can play in the box. Likes to hit and that’s really his best attribute to this point. As between he and Heath he was probably better suited for FS. Doesn’t mean they won’t move him to SS if we find a true center fielder.

I would assume that would be the case. I'm not sure of him as a "box" safety, though. Heath likes to hit, too, but that doesn't make run support his best attribute.

The one thing that would be good about Woods playing up is that he can cover like a nickel corner, so he can carry the tight end or even a receiver down field. It would essentially give us a third man corner who also can play the run. I'm just not sure how well he can play the run.

AKATheRake

Reaction score
I think the cap stuff is funny. Everyone acts like the Jones are spending their money or don't understand what the cap is. The Cowboys will pay whatever they feel that Thomas is worth if he doesn't price himself more than they think he's worth. That's the way they do business. Some deals work out well and some don't.

Exactly! It sounds like us, the 49ers and KC value him the most.

We know why we do and Richard Sherman is over in SF along with John lynch the GM who's been a HOF finalist 6 times as a safety. So he takes value in safeties.

KC is already paying Berry $13,000,000 where they are grossly overpaying. They're looking to ship a more important player in Justin Houstin who makes $15,000,000, is their top pass rusher and the same age is Berry. So I don't see KC in play anymore. In fact they have to get Berry to take a pay cut which he won't and might have to let him go. They will be re-working that whole defense with younger talent.

It's us and the 49er's. 4 years, $40 million, $25 million guaranteed. ET's a safety, so he can play to 33-34 yrs of age at a very high level. That's the most we can pay, otherwise go after a better DE across from Lawrence and sign a lower priced safety that impacts games. There's going to be Olivier Vernon, Robert Quinn and possibly Justin Houston hitting the open market at pass rush/edge rusher. Not to mention Ansah is out there. The draft is loaded at D-line so a lot of teams are cutting big salaries and going that route.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
My guess is that ET won’t be here. No way we are paying 13 million to him. He isn’t the best. I would pay him 8. And wouldn’t be happy about that. The first time he got burned or missed a tackle people gonna lose there minds. Lol.

Considering Heath gets burned multiple times per game and misses tackles like Deion in his prime making business decisions, cutting it down to just once a game will be a huge improvement.

But I guess if ET is too expensive we can just trot Heath back out there and hope for the best.:facepalm:

Established1971

fiveandcounting
Reaction score
So based on most of the comments I’ve read, Earl is awesome and would make us a Super Bowl contender but if he signs somewhere else he’s old, injury prone and wouldn’t have been worth his asking price.

Very confusing.
maybe its different individuals who are saying the different parts of your comment

I see a lot of this, treating the group as some borg mentality