Earl Thomas or Mike Iupati?

jay cee

Reaction score
I dont know enough about the players to rate which one is the better prospect, but I know offensive line help is a bigger need than than safety help.

MarionBarberThe4th

Reaction score
Idgit;3310366 said:
Thomas.

What's the book on Iupati's ability to block on the second level? He doesn't look like he's built for it, and I think that's what niggles at me when it comes to the thought of drafting him.

Hes very good at that from what Ive seen. Great instincts in run blocking

SLATEmosphere

Benched
Reaction score
Hostile;3310360 said:
What if he's a Ken Hamlin type of impact player at Safety?

I feel the position of Safety is fading in importance. OL never will.

What if Iupati struggles?

I guess it goes both ways.:cool:

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Hostile;3310360 said:

Actually I see just the opposite. The nature of the position has changed from being run defenders etc but a great safety is a defensive game changer and integral to preventing big plays.

reddyuta

Reaction score
a playmaking safety vs a guard? not a tough decision at all.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
reddyuta;3310461 said:
a playmaking safety vs a guard? not a tough decision at all.

Better protection for Romo puts the entire offense over the top though.

But in this case its Earl over Iupati. I can't imagine this guy in our secondary and during the season watching him play I thought we had no chance at getting him.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
Iupati, no question. I always believe in the "In the First Round, Draft the Guy Most Likely To End Up in the Hall of Fame" philosophy and that's Iupati. I watched Thomas his entire career at Texas .... nice player, but there is absolutely nothing special about him. You're looking at someone who will likely have a Deon Grant career. Iupati can have an Alan Faneca career. Plus, you might can get Morgan Bennett in the draft, who is every bit as good as Thomas (probably better). There's a world of difference between Iupati and Ducasse, who probably wont even see the field until Year 3.

Also if you believe salaries are paid on the basis of supply and demand, then it's pretty clear guards are more highly valued than safeties in the NFL. I bet the average of what Faneca, Bigg and Hutchinon got the on the market are signicantly higher than what the high paid safeties have got on the market the past few years.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
I'd take either and be ecstatic. If we get Earl, we can grab John Jerry in the 2nd or 3rd and get the best of both worlds.

Hostile;3310360 said:

I don't think safety is fading, it's more important than ever which is why the athletes back there keep getting better and better.

Bigdog

Reaction score
thomas then we can pick Jerry from Mississippi for a guard.

TheSport78

The Excellence of Execution
Reaction score
Hostile;3310360 said:

I disagree with this as well. The safety position is becoming more of an important and versatile position. The NFL is a passing league now. If the safety position isn't important, why are two safeties (Berry and Thomas) likely to go in the top 15-20 selections of the draft? You need a safety that can play against the run but more importantly defend the pass on a consistent basis.

UnoDallas

Benched
Reaction score
TheSport78;3310535 said:
I disagree with this as well. The safety position is becoming more of an important and versatile position. The NFL is a passing league now. If the safety position isn't important, why are two safeties (Berry and Thomas) likely to go in the top 15-20 selections of the draft? You need a safety that can play against the run but more importantly defend the pass on a consistent basis.

Hos has already addressed

The NFL evolves all the time. Occasionally it will run in cycles where something from the past comes back, and then it goes away again gradually. Like the 46 Defense. It was huge, then defunct, now it is returning in bits and pieces and will likely fade away again. We'll see the same with the Wildcat Offenses.

We've all noted that Fullback is a position in the NFL just isn't the same as it used to be. There are very few Moose Johnston's anymore. Lorenzo Neal had as much to do with LaDanian Tomlinson's success as Moose did for Emmitt, but FBs like that are not high on priority lists much any more.

that Safeties are the Defensive equivalent. They are going to gradually fade from importance. Mainly because very few of them can cover like a CB and many of them are going to follow the path of Rod Woodson from CB to Safety

http://cowboyszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=179159

UnoDallas

Benched
Reaction score
Iupati

Strengths:
Excellent height and bulk --- Huge frame with long arms --- Outstanding strength --- Physical and aggressive --- Superb athlete with good quickness and agility --- Mobile with great range --- Dominant once locked on --- Uses his hands well --- Explosive with a violent initial punch --- Stout at the point of attack --- Gets a terrific push in the run game --- Appears to be a natural knee bender --- Wide base and nice balance --- Has a mean streak and finishes his blocks --- Solid instincts and awareness --- Intense and Competitive --- Hard Worker --- Team Leader --- Offers positional versatility --- Still has considerable upside.

Weaknesses:
Is still raw and learning the game --- Footwork and technique will need refinement --- Feet aren't overly nimble --- Concentration will lapse at times --- Has some trouble in space --- Gets caught reaching --- Minor communication issues --- Did not always play against elite competition.

Notes:
Last name is pronounced "EYE-u-pah-tee" --- Was a three-year starter and a team captain for the Vandals --- A consensus 1st Team All-American in 2009 --- Named 2nd Team All-WAC in 2008 and 1st Team in 2009 --- Played both guard and tackle in college and could project to either position at the next level --- Younger brother, Andrew, plays defensive tackle for the Oregon Ducks --- Didn't begin playing football until he moved to California from American Samoa when he was 14-years-old --- English is his second language, which led to some academic problems and him being lightly recruited by major programs out of high school --- Sat out the 2005 season while getting his grades in order --- Missed some time with a shoulder injury in 2008, which eventually required off-season surgery --- Didn't allow a single sack as a senior --- Fantastic blocker with a rare blend of size and athleticism who hasn't yet reached his full potential --- Legitimate 1st Round talent

TheSport78

Reaction score
UnoDallas;3310543 said:

The NFL evolves all the time. Occasionally it will run in cycles where something from the past comes back, and then it goes away again gradually. Like the 46 Defense. It was huge, then defunct, now it is returning in bits and pieces and will likely fade away again. We'll see the same with the Wildcat Offenses.

We've all noted that Fullback is a position in the NFL just isn't the same as it used to be. There are very few Moose Johnston's anymore. Lorenzo Neal had as much to do with LaDanian Tomlinson's success as Moose did for Emmitt, but FBs like that are not high on priority lists much any more.

that Safeties are the Defensive equivalent. They are going to gradually fade from importance. Mainly because very few of them can cover like a CB and many of them are going to follow the path of Rod Woodson from CB to Safety

Okay...but I still disagree. Not sure how this disproves what my point of view is?

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
UnoDallas;3310543 said:

You said it better than I could have so I am just going to thank you for responding.

UnoDallas

Benched
Reaction score
TheSport78;3310555 said:
Okay...but I still disagree. Not sure how this disproves what my point of view is?
'

you both are saying the same thing

you

You need a safety that can play against the run but more importantly defend the pass on a consistent basis.

Hos

Mainly because very few of them can cover like a CB and many of them are going to follow the path of Rod Woodson from CB to Safety

TheSport78

Reaction score
UnoDallas;3310560 said:
'

you both are saying the same thing

you

You need a safety that can play against the run but more importantly defend the pass on a consistent basis.

Hos

Mainly because very few of them can cover like a CB and many of them are going to follow the path of Rod Woodson from CB to Safety

Right, I hear you, but that doesn't mean the importance of the safety position is diminishing. I believe it's more critical to find a safety that can matchup with WR's and play solid against the run, but that doesn't mean you can just convert most CB's to safety. Two totally different positions with different responsibilities in terms of matchups and coverage. That's what I was trying to say. It won't be easy to find these players, that's why they come at such a premium. The new breed of safety like Antoine Bethea and Troy Polamulu are two that come to mind.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Who is the best Safety in the NFL today? Polumalu? I'm going to assume that would be the most popular choice.

Who is the best OG in the NFL today? Chris Snee? Some might argue BIGG. I'd take either one of them, Alan Faneca, or Steve Hutchinson over Polumalu.

Why? Simple, he keeps the QB upright, safe, and opens hole for the run game. I don't say that to disrespect Polumalu whom I think is a great player.

You can ask me the same question about the greatest Safety and Guards in History.

Ronnie Lott? Larry Allen or John Hannah? I will again take the OL guys and I am a serious Ronnie Lott fan.

jswalker1981

Fact > Your Opinion
Reaction score
Hostile;3310565 said:
Who is the best Safety in the NFL today? Polumalu? I'm going to assume that would be the most popular choice.

Who is the best OG in the NFL today? Chris Snee? Some might argue BIGG. I'd take either one of them, Alan Faneca, or Steve Hutchinson over Polumalu.

Why? Simple, he keeps the QB upright, safe, and opens hole for the run game. I don't say that to disrespect Polumalu whom I think is a great player.

You can ask me the same question about the greatest Safety and Guards in History.

Ronnie Lott? Larry Allen or John Hannah? I will again take the OL guys and I am a serious Ronnie Lott fan.

If you have all ten fingers, then you my sir, are not a serious Ronnie Lott fan.