Earl Thomas or Mike Iupati?

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
Hostile;3310565 said:
Who is the best Safety in the NFL today? Polumalu? I'm going to assume that would be the most popular choice.

Who is the best OG in the NFL today? Chris Snee? Some might argue BIGG. I'd take either one of them, Alan Faneca, or Steve Hutchinson over Polumalu.

Why? Simple, he keeps the QB upright, safe, and opens hole for the run game. I don't say that to disrespect Polumalu whom I think is a great player.

You can ask me the same question about the greatest Safety and Guards in History.

Ronnie Lott? Larry Allen or John Hannah? I will again take the OL guys and I am a serious Ronnie Lott fan.

I don't think there is even an argument about the importance of offensive lineman or o-line play.

UnoDallas

Benched
Reaction score
CATCH17;3310892 said:
Maybe. Or we lose the dynamics that Kyle Kosier brings by getting out and blocking in space.

As much as we run the power play that has to be a staple for at least one of the guards and from the very little i've seen from Iupati I haven't been impressed with his ability to block in space.

He very well may develop this skill in time though.

I guess you never watched any of his games

an how do you block space ? jk

so I guess that why other teams ahead of us taking him - according to the mocks - because hes not good

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
UnoDallas;3311368 said:
I guess you never watched any of his games

an how do you block space ? jk

so I guess that why other teams ahead of us taking him - according to the mocks - because hes not good

Never said that and i'd be fine with drafting Iupati. Just not over Earl Thomas and not over picking up an extra 3 or 4 + Pouncey.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
TheCount;3310943 said:
I don't think there is even an argument about the importance of offensive lineman or o-line play.
No, but we're in need of both and an impact OG player is worth more than an impact Safety is. If we were talking CB vs. OG, I'd probably say CB over OG. OT over CB, etc.

I am just talking analysis of needs and overall long term impact. I take OL need over Safety need.

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
Hostile;3311435 said:
No, but we're in need of both and an impact OG player is worth more than an impact Safety is. If we were talking CB vs. OG, I'd probably say CB over OG. OT over CB, etc.

I am just talking analysis of needs and overall long term impact. I take OL need over Safety need.
so we should take the samoan in the 1st and get Burnett in the 2nd. gotcha:D

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
MarionBarberThe4th;3310225 said:
I think Id go w/ Iupati and then try and upgrade at safety w/ Atogwe.

Were pretty much at a crisis mode w/ the OL, give me Iupati and a tackle not too much further down. Maybe a guy who needs some time like Veldheer

I'd take Thomas and not even think about it.

You can get quality interior OL's later, but if Thomas is there he's a potential impact player due do his playmaking ability. Lack of turnovers is the only thing holding this defense back from being dominant.

Like Iupati, but he might need a year or so to develop and refine his technique. Thomas, even if he doesnt start probably has a signifncant role in the nickel/dime defense from day one, and can probably flex out to CB if needed as well.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Hostile;3310360 said:
What if he's a Ken Hamlin type of impact player at Safety?

I feel the position of Safety is fading in importance. OL never will.

You can play the what if game the other way too, Iupati might struggle. He certainly didnt appear dominant in the Senior Bowl game, and according to Mayock could have been flagged for 4 or 5 holding calls in the bowl game Idaho played in.

There's no denying Thomas makes a ton of plays, he's a ballhawk. You can try and say safety isnt important but a FS who can play in space, make plays on the ball AND have the ability to line up at CB is invaluable to a defense.

I've always thought spending premium picks on interior OL's wasnt necessary. the fact we won 3 super bowls with nobody drafted higher than Larry Allen (mid 2nd) in 1994 is proof.

Not saying I am totally against drafting Iupati, but if it were a choice between the two there's no question in my mind that Thomas would probably have the biggest impact on the team.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Hostile;3311435 said:

The guards arnt the weak link of the OL. The worst game we had this yr in terms of OL play was due to Adams being hurt and Colombo playing terrible.

Kosier isnt a great player, but he isnt a scrub. Gurode and Davis are legit probowlers.

Thomas reminds me some of Ed Reed. Adding an Ed Reed to this defense takes us from very good to dominant. I dont see where adding a guard takes the offense to another level. Upgrades at the tackles, maybe.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
dbair1967;3311449 said:
You can play the what if game the other way too, Iupati might struggle. He certainly didnt appear dominant in the Senior Bowl game, and according to Mayock could have been flagged for 4 or 5 holding calls in the bowl game Idaho played in.

There's no denying Thomas makes a ton of plays, he's a ballhawk. You can try and say safety isnt important but a FS who can play in space, make plays on the ball AND have the ability to line up at CB is invaluable to a defense.

I've always thought spending premium picks on interior OL's wasnt necessary. the fact we won 3 super bowls with nobody drafted higher than Larry Allen (mid 2nd) in 1994 is proof.

Not saying I am totally against drafting Iupati, but if it were a choice between the two there's no question in my mind that Thomas would probably have the biggest impact on the team.
Read back further. He started the what if game. Lecture him and leave me alone.

Bully.

:wink2:

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
dbair1967;3311458 said:
The guards arnt the weak link of the OL. The worst game we had this yr in terms of OL play was due to Adams being hurt and Colombo playing terrible.

Kosier isnt a great player, but he isnt a scrub. Gurode and Davis are legit probowlers.

Thomas reminds me some of Ed Reed. Adding an Ed Reed to this defense takes us from very good to dominant. I dont see where adding a guard takes the offense to another level. Upgrades at the tackles, maybe.
Color me real skeptical he is anywhere like Ed Reed.

SLATEmosphere

Benched
Reaction score
Hostile;3310565 said:
Who is the best Safety in the NFL today? Polumalu? I'm going to assume that would be the most popular choice.

Who is the best OG in the NFL today? Chris Snee? Some might argue BIGG. I'd take either one of them, Alan Faneca, or Steve Hutchinson over Polumalu.

Why? Simple, he keeps the QB upright, safe, and opens hole for the run game. I don't say that to disrespect Polumalu whom I think is a great player.

You can ask me the same question about the greatest Safety and Guards in History.

Ronnie Lott? Larry Allen or John Hannah? I will again take the OL guys and I am a serious Ronnie Lott fan.

Iupati is just one guy that keeps the QB upright. What about the other 4 guys? It won't mean much when the Tackles are revolving doors.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Hostile;3311464 said:
Color me real skeptical he is anywhere like Ed Reed.

But you have people saying Iupati is like Larry Allen, and thats even more far fetched.

Thomas reminds me of Reed in that they both have tremendous range and instincts for how to take the right angles to the ball.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
dbair1967;3311470 said:
But you have people saying Iupati is like Larry Allen, and thats even more far fetched.

Thomas reminds me of Reed in that they both have tremendous range and instincts for how to take the right angles to the ball.
Berry reminds me of Reed. Thomas doesn't.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
SLATEmosphere;3311466 said:
Iupati is just one guy that keeps the QB upright. What about the other 4 guys? It won't mean much when the Tackles are revolving doors.
Luckily for us ours aren't I guess.

I'll look for the sky to fall another day.

SLATEmosphere

Benched
Reaction score
Hostile;3311473 said:
Luckily for us ours aren't I guess.

I'll look for the sky to fall another day.

Columbo's wheels have fallen off and is looking old. He migh last the first 7 weeks but he breaks down as the season goes on.

I'd rather draft a top Tackle over a safety or OG.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
SLATEmosphere;3311486 said:
Columbo's wheels have fallen off and is looking old. He migh last the first 7 weeks but he breaks down as the season goes on.

I'd rather draft a top Tackle over a safety or OG.
Disney-Chicken-Little.jpg

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
SLATEmosphere;3311495 said:
lol wow alright.

Good talk.
He broke his leg last year, so he's going to fall apart after 7 games from now on right?

Yeah, real nice talk. Unfortunately it was talking without thinking.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Hostile;3311435 said:

Yeah, I'd say order of importance by position
franchise QB
franchise left OT
premier edge rusher
shut down corner

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
Hostile;3311500 said:
He broke his leg last year, so he's going to fall apart after 7 games form now on right?

Yeah, real nice talk. Unfortunately it was talking without thinking.

Hos is right. Columbo played pretty well last year till the last two games. I still think we should have let Free finish out the year, we all knew he'd be rusty.