Earl Thomas or Mike Iupati?

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Hostile;3311472 said:
Berry reminds me of Reed. Thomas doesn't.

What does Berry do that Thomas doesnt? He's a little bigger and might be a tad more phyical vs the run, but the two guys are very similar.

Thomas is a ballhawk, the guy makes plays. He covers a ton of ground and alot of teams think he can line up and play CB.

UnoDallas

Benched
Reaction score
dbair1967;3311470 said:
But you have people saying Iupati is like Larry Allen, and thats even more far fetched.

Thomas reminds me of Reed in that they both have tremendous range and instincts for how to take the right angles to the ball.

but you are comparing Thomas to Ed Reed ? that s a little far fetched also

you build a team from the Oline out IMO

and name one G with the potential of Iupati

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
dbair1967;3311527 said:
What does Berry do that Thomas doesnt? He's a little bigger and might be a tad more phyical vs the run, but the two guys are very similar.

Thomas is a ballhawk, the guy makes plays. He covers a ton of ground and alot of teams think he can line up and play CB.
I'm not a fan of Safeties in the 1st round. If we take Thomas, fine. I'm okay with it. I like Thomas just fine. But truth be told the only Safety I would take in round 1 is Berry. Other will disagree. Some vehemently. That's cool.

I think Safety is an evolving position and OL depth is a bigger need for this team. To that end if I had a choice I would not even hesitate. Right now, the only player who would make me change my mind if he was to fall is probably McClain.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
UnoDallas;3311542 said:
but you are comparing Thomas to Ed Reed ? that s a little far fetched also

you build a team from the Oline out IMO

and name one G with the potential of Iupati

Thomas has that kind of range, yeah. He makes alot of plays on the ball, will he be Reed? Have no idea.

But Reed isnt the best safety of all time, and Larry Allen IS the best OL of all time. He was one of the most dominant players, regardless of position the league has ever seen.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Hostile;3311612 said:
I'm not a fan of Safeties in the 1st round. If we take Thomas, fine. I'm okay with it. I like Thomas just fine. But truth be told the only Safety I would take in round 1 is Berry. Other will disagree. Some vehemently. That's cool.

I think Safety is an evolving position and OL depth is a bigger need for this team. To that end if I had a choice I would not even hesitate. Right now, the only player who would make me change my mind if he was to fall is probably McClain.

And I'm not a fan of drafting interior OL's with high draft picks, never have been. Two of the best OL we've ever had (and arguably the two most dominant of the 90's) were drafted with 2nd and 3rd rd picks. We won three Super Bowls from 92-95 and not one OL was picked in the first round. Now Allen and Williams were tremendous talents, but guys like Tuinei, Newton, Stepnoski, Gesek and Gogan were hard working, technically solid OL who were extremely well coached. Our OL was the best in football from 91-95.

Interior OL's dont put teams over the top. But a guy who comes in and forces alot of turnovers does put an already solid defense over the top.

Ultimately I have no problem with either guy, also like some other OL's with our 1st rd pick.

Muhast

Newo
Reaction score
Big Dakota;3310835 said:
Funny how NO scouts bother to watch the game. :rolleyes:

Everybody bashed his performance and then forgot about it b/c of how great he looked all week in drills.

He didn't go against any top talent, and the one opportunity to do so, he struggled mightily.

I am not jumping on the bandwagon on that one. I don't want anything to do with him or Campbell.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
SLATEmosphere;3311486 said:
Columbo's wheels have fallen off and is looking old. He migh last the first 7 weeks but he breaks down as the season goes on.

I'd rather draft a top Tackle over a safety or OG.

I'd rather have Jared Gaither over Earl Thomas.

If Dallas thinks Free is the eventual guy at Left Tackle than now is the time to tell Flozell goodbye because @ 35 all he is is a progress stopper.

My opinion though is that Flozell is still a much better player than Free and Gaither is better than both.

Iupati would be fine but this oline doesn't improve starting with Kyle Kosier. It starts with Flozell.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I think a better question is Anthony Davis or Earl Thomas?

SLATEmosphere

Benched
Reaction score
Hostile;3311500 said:
He broke his leg last year, so he's going to fall apart after 7 games from now on right?

Yeah, real nice talk. Unfortunately it was talking without thinking.

He's 32 and has had multiple leg injuries.

Silly me thinking he's going to break down real soon...

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Hostile;3311612 said:

If safety is an evolving position don't you think that Thomas is the type of safety the position is evolving into?

I like Iupati but I like who he would be replacing. Not so much with Thomas' would be predecessor.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
SLATEmosphere;3311768 said:

He had a torn knee before. A broken leg is completely unrelated and quite frankly has very little longterm debilitating effects.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
SLATEmosphere;3311768 said:

Exactly. Silly.

TheSport78

The Excellence of Execution
Reaction score
Not sure how someone can say an interior lineman like Mike Iupati can have more of an impact than a ballhawking, play-making safety like Earl Thomas. That's a pretty ridiculous statement if you ask me.

The Dallas safeties have two interceptions the past two YEARS. A play-making safety would put this defense over the top. Interior linemen can be hidden, and there's no guarantee Iupati would even see the FIELD in his rookie year.

Yeah, the safety position is evolving into a versatile position, which makes it even MORE important because you do not find those players by calling 1-800 T-W-E-E-N-E-R. The safety position has become MORE important in the NFL.

UnoDallas

Benched
Reaction score
TheSport78;3311780 said:
Not sure how someone can say an interior lineman like Mike Iupati can have more of an impact than a ballhawking, play-making safety like Earl Thomas. That's a pretty ridiculous statement if you ask me.

The Dallas safeties have two interceptions the past two YEARS. A play-making safety would put this defense over the top. Interior linemen can be hidden, and there's no guarantee Iupati would even see the FIELD in his rookie year.

Yeah, the safety position is evolving into a versatile position, which makes it even MORE important because you do not find those players by calling 1-800 T-W-E-E-N-E-R. The safety position has become MORE important in the NFL.

we all get that

theres no guarantee that Thomas sees the feild this year either ?

and you think having a dominant OG would not help the team

I do not get that logic

and yet you seem so sure Iupati won't ?

IMO Iupati's the target right now

TheSport78

Reaction score
UnoDallas;3311802 said:
we all get that

I do not get that logic

Who has the better chance to start though; Thomas or Iupati?

Kosier is in a contract year and isn't going anywhere.

Hamlin isn't a lock to even make the team so the opportunity would be there for Thomas. Having a dominant player at any position would help the team, I'm not debating that, but a dominant safety would be better than a dominant OG.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
UnoDallas;3311802 said:
we all get that

I do not get that logic

Iupati is awfully raw to throw around words like dominant. If anything Thomas is more of the sure thing between the 2.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
TheSport78;3311903 said:
Who has the better chance to start though; Thomas or Iupati?

Kosier is in a contract year and isn't going anywhere.

Hamlin isn't a lock to even make the team so the opportunity would be there for Thomas. Having a dominant player at any position would help the team, I'm not debating that, but a dominant safety would be better than a dominant OG.

And Kosier brings a lot more to the table than Hamlin does. Kosier actually gives our Oline dynamics that some of the other guys just don't bring.

The thing I liked about Doug Free @ RT is with he and Kosier on opposite sides gave us 2 dynamic guys on each side of the line that blended in well with the road graders in place.

Maybe thats the way to go with Oline now days if you want to be a physical team? Have a couple finesse guys mixed in with your 340 pound bullies.

TheSport78

Reaction score
CATCH17;3311911 said:
And Kosier brings a lot more to the table than Hamlin does. Kosier actually gives our Oline dynamics that some of the other guys just don't bring.

The thing I liked about Doug Free @ RT is with he and Kosier on opposite sides gave us 2 dynamic guys on each side of the line that blended in well with the road graders in place.

Maybe thats the way to go with Oline now days if you want to be a physical team? Have a couple finesse guys mixed in with your 340 pound bullies.

Agreed. Those are good points. It was nice to see some great athleticism in Free and Kosier last year. While I would definitely pick Thomas over Iupati, we need a draft an interior lineman somewhere early in the draft to develop this year, so he's ready to take over for Kosier in 2011, especially if Brewster will be working exclusively at RT.