Earl Thomas or Mike Iupati?

TheSport78

The Excellence of Execution
Reaction score
Hostile;3310565 said:
Who is the best Safety in the NFL today? Polumalu? I'm going to assume that would be the most popular choice.

Who is the best OG in the NFL today? Chris Snee? Some might argue BIGG. I'd take either one of them, Alan Faneca, or Steve Hutchinson over Polumalu.

Why? Simple, he keeps the QB upright, safe, and opens hole for the run game. I don't say that to disrespect Polumalu whom I think is a great player.

You can ask me the same question about the greatest Safety and Guards in History.

Ronnie Lott? Larry Allen or John Hannah? I will again take the OL guys and I am a serious Ronnie Lott fan.

I'm not debating that, Hos. I wasn't comparing the safety position and it's importance related to the OL.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
TheSport78;3310731 said:
I'm not debating that, Hos. I wasn't comparing the safety position and it's importance related to the OL.
My post wasn't aimed at anyone. I said it just as a general commentary on why I would take Iupati over Thomas. Both have Pro Bowl potential if they reach their potential. I just happen to think Iupati will go to more of them than Thomas and be a better choice.

TheSport78

The Excellence of Execution
Reaction score
Hostile;3310734 said:
My post wasn't aimed at anyone. I said it just as a general commentary on why I would take Iupati over Thomas. Both have Pro Bowl potential if they reach their potential. I just happen to think Iupati will go to more of them than Thomas and be a better choice.

I don't have a problem with that. I just have a feeling the Cowboys have them rated pretty evenly on their board. In my opinion, and while I think Iupati is going to have a very solid career, I think if this is the year to take a shot at one of those CB/S tweeners in the first round, this is the year to do it. I've heard a lot of analysts say how this could be the deepest draft since 1983, so if the Cowboys feel there's not a big discrepancy between Mike Iupati and say, Rodger Saffold for example, but there is a big gap between Earl Thomas and Nate Allen for example, then hopefully they would take Thomas. On the other hand, I would have no problem going the other way and taking Iupati. In conclusion, neither Iupati or Thomas will be available when we pick. :laugh2:

Doomsday101

Reaction score
MarionBarberThe4th;3310225 said:
I think Id go w/ Iupati and then try and upgrade at safety w/ Atogwe.

Were pretty much at a crisis mode w/ the OL, give me Iupati and a tackle not too much further down. Maybe a guy who needs some time like Veldheer

I admit some bias in wanting Thomas but the main reason is the guys is a ball hawking play maker at safety. I would not be unhappy with Iupati but if it were my call I would select Thomas.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
And FTR, Mike Iupati. When he's ready to start at LG, this offense will go to the next level

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
If you go strictly by position, I think offensive line is a bigger need and more important.

But when you compare these two players, I think Earl Thomas is clearly better.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
TheSport78;3310751 said:
I don't have a problem with that. I just have a feeling the Cowboys have them rated pretty evenly on their board. In my opinion, and while I think Iupati is going to have a very solid career, I think if this is the year to take a shot at one of those CB/S tweeners in the first round, this is the year to do it. I've heard a lot of analysts say how this could be the deepest draft since 1983, so if the Cowboys feel there's not a big discrepancy between Mike Iupati and say, Rodger Saffold for example, but there is a big gap between Earl Thomas and Nate Allen for example, then hopefully they would take Thomas. On the other hand, I would have no problem going the other way and taking Iupati. In conclusion, neither Iupati or Thomas will be available when we pick. :laugh2:
I think Cowboys fans have them rated evenly. I doubt the Cowboys do.

Big Dakota

Reaction score
Muhast;3310327 said:
I watched the senior bowl. I don't care what the "intangibles" are. The guy got beat often during that game. How is he going to go against proven vets? No thanks.

Thomas all day
Funny how NO scouts bother to watch the game. :rolleyes:

Dalmations202

Reaction score
IF the scouts consider Thomas to really be a ball hawking, probowl caliber safety, then I would say Thomas.

Legit ball hawking, playmaker safeties that can tackle, IMO, are harder to come by than guards.

You get what you can while it is available.

Reaction score
TheSport78;3310751 said:

IMO there isn't much dropoff at all from Thomas to Allen, but there is from iupati to any other guard. Which is why I think they go with iupati. Hopefully they have the same mindset as me lol. One thing is for sure though, if there's one player the cowboys hope is there at 27 I have no doubt in my mind that it's iupati. So if there both there it's him.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
UnoDallas;3310543 said:
Hos has already addressed

The NFL evolves all the time. Occasionally it will run in cycles where something from the past comes back, and then it goes away again gradually. Like the 46 Defense. It was huge, then defunct, now it is returning in bits and pieces and will likely fade away again. We'll see the same with the Wildcat Offenses.

We've all noted that Fullback is a position in the NFL just isn't the same as it used to be. There are very few Moose Johnston's anymore. Lorenzo Neal had as much to do with LaDanian Tomlinson's success as Moose did for Emmitt, but FBs like that are not high on priority lists much any more.

that Safeties are the Defensive equivalent. They are going to gradually fade from importance. Mainly because very few of them can cover like a CB and many of them are going to follow the path of Rod Woodson from CB to Safety

http://cowboyszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=179159

I just heard Campo on the blitz say that safety has become as important as ever and I would agree.

The style of safety has changed but the importance of safety has increased.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Manwiththeplan;3310765 said:
And FTR, Mike Iupati. When he's ready to start at LG, this offense will go to the next level

Maybe. Or we lose the dynamics that Kyle Kosier brings by getting out and blocking in space.

As much as we run the power play that has to be a staple for at least one of the guards and from the very little i've seen from Iupati I haven't been impressed with his ability to block in space.

He very well may develop this skill in time though.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
CanuckCowboysFan;3310849 said:
IMO there isn't much dropoff at all from Thomas to Allen, but there is from iupati to any other guard. Which is why I think they go with iupati. Hopefully they have the same mindset as me lol. One thing is for sure though, if there's one player the cowboys hope is there at 27 I have no doubt in my mind that it's iupati. So if there both there it's him.

I wouldn't say that. Pouncey brings a lot to the table.

AKATheRake

Reaction score
CATCH17;3310883 said:
I just heard Campo on the blitz say that safety has become as important as ever and I would agree.

The style of safety has changed but the importance of safety has increased.

That's Campo. When I hear it from Jerry, Stephen, our Director of scouting or Wade, then I`ll put some merit into it. Just some.

But Campo`s a DB coach. I also take into consideration this is now a passing league, which calls for more quality DB`s on a team, but the safety position is still not considered a position where more than 2 or 3 players will get taken in the first round. Usually its 2 or less.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
AKATheRake;3310913 said:
That's Campo. When I hear it from Jerry, Stephen, our Director of scouting or Wade, then I`ll put some merit into it. Just some.

But Campo`s a DB coach. I also take into consideration this is now a passing league, which calls for more quality DB`s on a team, but the safety position is still not considered a position where more than 2 or 3 players will get taken in the first round. Usually its 2 or less.

There isn't very many elite safeties that come out every year.

The thing that seperates Thomas, like others have said, is that he is just as much a corner as he is a safety.

He is a way better Alan Ball. A guy who will save roster spots because of his versatility to play multiple positions.

And LOL @ discrediting Campo of his knowledge of the position and deffering to Stephen / Jerry.

The contract they gave Hamlin says a lot of what they think about the position.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
AKATheRake;3310913 said:

You go by the talent not so much the position. Heck QB is very important but more than likely on 2 QB's will go in the 1st rd it has nothing to do with the importance of the position but the talent out there waiting to be drafted.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Cover 2;3310236 said:
Although I wouldn't be upset with Earl Thomas at all. These are my two favorite prospects along with McClain that we have a shot at in the 1st round.
Uh, no shot at McClain...imo.

If somehow we could get Iupati and Allen, that would be sweet.