Earl Thomas trade discussions centered around pick 50

Cowboys22

Reaction score
No way I'd trade our 2 for him. We need to stock the shelves. We're not a safety away from Super Bowl contention, particularly one we'd have to pay big money to.

They may not be a safety away but they just might be an Earl Thomas+all the free agent signings+the draft picks+DB coach Richard+a full season of Zeke+an improved Dak away from the super bowl.

MarkP88

Reaction score
They may not be a safety away but they just might be an Earl Thomas+all the free agent signings+the draft picks+DB coach Richard+a full season of Zeke+an improved Dak away from the super bowl.
"+ all the free agent signings"?

They seem pretty solid to me, but not to the point of making us Super Bowl contenders, even if all those other things fall into place. And the "+ the draft picks" factor will be diluted if we have to trade one 2 for Thomas.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
The defense wasn't terrible last year. Hasn't really ever been terrible under Maranelli. If they gave up 19 points a game with Heath and Byron Jones....am I wrong to expect a improvement if Earl Thomas is back there?

Yeah......it depends how confident they are in this secondary. I expect to see more 2 LB's if anything. Especially if Jaylon balls out next year.

Oh I'm not against paying him. Its Jerry's money. I'm not one of these guys that even brings that into the equation because its been proven you can get up from under these contracts. I just think Seattle is in no position to ask for high value for him is my stance and because of that I won't give it. The small tiny leverage they have is to just keep him and get a compensation pick.....but that won't come until a few years from now and they can get more by trading him even if it is a 3rd or 4th rounder this year.

While I would not give up a 1st I would be willing to go 2nd and would be thrilled to do it for a 3rd but I would rather get him than play around and not get him.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Yup you can. That window starts with a legitimate franchise QB and lasts around a decade. Until you are certain that you have that QB, you don't commit resources like that on minor positions (even as important as safety).
And the Cowboys believe they have that franchise qb.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Insanity.

Double insanity If they take Sutton at 19 or via tradeback.

The front 7 needs players
I don't believe this team thinks they do. I Think they like their front 4. Now the linebackers....I see that happening later in the draft. I think they are going to bank on finding another Hitchens.

Tristan

Reaction score
No brainer imo, ET could be NFL defensive player of the year, hes a rare, elite game changing defender, a great leader and hes in his prime. The odds of getting that w our 2nd are very weak. Would make my day!

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Give up #50 and see if either CLE with #33 and 35, NE with #31 and 43 or Indy with #36, 37 and 49 are interested in #19. It is very likely a player is going to make it to #19 that one of those 3 teams will covet enough to part with a couple of 2nds and NE already has the 23rd so they might be willing to jump 4 spots and give us 31 and 43.

Doesn't hurt to try but if we're looking for immediate impact in a very young and leaderless secondary, we are not going to find that with pick 50. I would do that and then start getting creative to get back into the second with possibly multiple picks. We've got 10 picks and we do not need 10 players.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
"+ all the free agent signings"?

They seem pretty solid to me, but not to the point of making us Super Bowl contenders, even if all those other things fall into place. And the "+ the draft picks" factor will be diluted if we have to trade one 2 for Thomas.

Yeah, but you get Thomas. No one in the 2nd round will have his impact this coming year.

kumizi

Reaction score
It’s kinda funny to me how the majority of Cowboys fans were mad we didn’t place a 1st round tender on David Irving because “no way are you gonna find a player as productive as David Irving in the 2nd round.”

However, they don’t even want to trade a 2nd round pick for Earl Thomas.

I wonder where the disconnect is. They’re both on 1 year deals.

goshan

Reaction score
No way I'd trade our 2 for him. We need to stock the shelves. We're not a safety away from Super Bowl contention, particularly one we'd have to pay big money to.

In today’s nfl, every single year you try to put the best team on the field. There is no ‘stock the shelves’ or rebuilding.

kevm3

Reaction score
If by the end of Friday we somehow came away with Vea and Thomas, I would be extremely happy. Sign NaVorro Bowman and we're cooking with gas...

This would be fantastic. I'd love to see what we'd do with a defense that actually looks well stocked on paper.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Pencil this done........Seahawks are backed into a corner and Earl wanna get paid NOW as oppose waiting after 2018. Hell if you're ET what would be best, play out last year on the current deal or sign a new deal/extension. Not just more $$$$ but more guarantee $$$. Point is, don't look him to play hardball as long as Cowboys offer fair $$$$.

Ken

Reaction score
Hillarious that people have *****ed and moaned about the pack of FA moves, then when the prospect of making a move for a still great player is talked about....it is a stupid move.

Can't win with this fanbase.

BigD_95

Reaction score

we haven't had a lot of luck with 2nd round picks. at least we know we are getting a sure fire pro-bowl player. Maybe best safety in NFL.

Proof

Reaction score

just curious, how would we stock the shelves with the one pick we'd be giving up?

Bigdog

Reaction score
Depends on who is there but I would not do it for no more than a 4th right now. If we do a trade down in the 2nd and pick up an extra 3rd than maybe a 3rd. We can wait a year and get him for free.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
Problem is...we will not get a 1st and 2nd for the 19th pick, a late 1st and a 3rd at most, We could use a third and 4th to try and get back into the 2nd.
yea, i know. i'm not big on thomas for more than a 4th. too many things can happen in the year making it a 1 year deal for a 2nd around. at that point you better be SB ready or you're wasting opportunity.