Electric cars

Status
Not open for further replies.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Can't you charge them from any outlet, albeit slowly?

You can charge them from a standard 110 but at a painfully slow rate equivalent to 4-5 miles per hour from what I understand. A 240 gives you about 30 miles per hour.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Quit the personal insults about IQ and educational backgrounds.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
If you live in a windy area, I would highly consider lost mileage due to headwind.

Friend has a Tesla and was driving up last week in a high-wide area. 60 mph headwind forced him to stop 2 times for about an hour each on a trip that's about 350 miles total. I've never thought about it, but it makes sense. He had to stop at one spot and charge for an hour, drove about 80 miles into the wind and needed another charge to finish the trip.
1 hr????? ridiculous. It doesnt require an hour. Cars charge very fast at first, then at near 80% charge the charge starts to slow down. 20 minutes on a tesla charger would have had him at 80% and once you get to 80%, you unplug and leave.. I have a friend that owns a Tesla Model 3 and she says it is the best car she has ever owned. Charges it at night in her garage about every 3rd night. She loves never using a gas station. She drove from norcal to socal a couple of times already and it was no problem, including going over the grape vine. Challenger? bahaha... her model 3 would smoke it in a quarter mile. Truck? Check out the Ford F150 lightning... Truck is a beast.

I own a Silverado, A suburban, a Miata and a Honda Motorcycle. Make no mistake... these cars are coming. Until you've driven them, dont knock what you dont know. I also have 40 solar panels on my house, so powering an EV will be free for me.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
I'm not opposed to electric cars. But just haven't seen one that made me go, " I need it". Well the plaid is one but I can't afford it.

Looking forward to the F-150 Lightning-hate the name- but guess I look the appearance of a "regular" truck.

It's inevitable that they are the future of automobiles.
The f150 lightning is SWEET. Base model is about 40k. Top line is about 70k... no different than a new f150 ICE truck.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
I was working in NM years ago and I had to make round trips to Santa Fe down south. Headwinds one way made me get 1/4 tank less mileage than the other way. Getting gas was a lot easier than waiting for a charge.
look beyond today. Chargers are going to be more prevalent than gas stations. Chargers are already at restaurants, they are going to be in shopping center parking lots, places of work, all up and down highways, and obviously the place most people will charge, right in your garage. The future is happening right in front of our faces.. most people just dont even see it happening.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Might want to get use to the idea because the combustion engine is on it's deathbed. With the CAFE standards, companies tooling to mass produce electric platforms, and models getting more affordable....the writing is on the wall. I'm not saying it's going to happen overnight, but it's coming. Washington state is already kicking off a trend with a ban of combustion engine sales by 2030, with others looking to follow. Even technology evolves. Besides, you want a sustainable future for your kids and grandkids?

As far as EV goes for me? I'd sign up tomorrow on a electric F-150 if they could just squeeze a little bit more range out of it. Right now they are saying around 230 miles a charge, but what happens when I am towing my 7200 pound trailer? I'm fine with that around town, but that 230 miles is pretty limiting for me to head up into the Idaho mountains with.

The extended range f150 with the 131kwh battery is up to 320 miles. That F150 looks to be a winner to me. Price is not more than the regular upgraded f150.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
You can charge them from a standard 110 but at a painfully slow rate equivalent to 4-5 miles per hour from what I understand. A 240 gives you about 30 miles per hour.
anyone that buys an EV immediately spends the 600 bucks and upgrades the charger in the garage to 240.

Not a big deal.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
I would use one if it was more practical. In order to get a full charge in a reasonable time you need an appropriate hookup. In terms of torque, electric can put a combustion engine to shame. I don't care if a car is powered by farts, I'll drive whatever makes the most sense. At this point, I don't think electric does and I live in a state where electricity is dirt cheap because we get most of it from hydro.

Electric will eventually take over. Get widely available charge times down to a reasonable amount and it's over.

Our Friend has Tesla Model 3. Drove it from norcal to socal and charged it right before going over grape vine. used restroom, grabbed a quick bite and car was charged. 20 minute tesla super charger.... not a big deal.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
yes I should have phrased that better...

electric vehicles can carve out a niche market for SOME people,
with very regular localized driving habits and patterns.

:thumbup:
which is about 70 plus % of the people that drive.

that being said, these cars are new, and it wont take long at all for some of these things to have 500 mile ranges.

The F150 extended battery has a range of 320 miles... more than enough for 95% of the people driving a truck.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Some things I wonder about with the push for EV.
Have they figured out how to effectively evacuate tens of thousands from a catastrophic weather event in their electric vehicles?
Once we are all driving electric vehicles, will the power grid infrastructure be robust enough to serve us all? What is fueling all that additional electrical load?
What do we do with all the battery waste that will be generated from an all EV world?

Those people that are actually in charge of the grid already have seen the future and they are already taking steps for that future. The vast majority of EV will be charging at home. Ca. was running off of 100% solar and other renewable sources just 2 days ago. When I put solar on my house 5 years ago, my system was only allowed 40 panels... now, i could put on about 60 panels. Why? Because the electric companies are now accounting for charging Evs at home. People a whole lot smarter than you and I are already planning for the things you are worrying/wondering about.

Not being a wise arse, but asking a serious question. Have you done any actual research on these Evs? Solar Systems? The current and future state of EV charging station infrastructure? It has been my experience that those that scream the loudest about how messed up this switch to Evs is, are the ones that actually know jack squat about what is already taking place right in front of their face.... they just arent paying attention.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
By then maybe electric cars will be more viable. As of now they are virtue signalers for people who think they care about the environment more than everyone else.
so my friend that is driving around in a Tesla Model 3 are they somehow fooling themselves? She loves the car, loves charging at home, loves NEVER going to a gas station, and loves not paying 5 bucks a gallon at the moment.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
From infrastructure to generating the electricity to the mining of the materials and all the rest, anyone claiming electric cars is a huge step forward are full of crap.
Infrastructure? Expand on that problem.

Electricity? expnd on that

Im no expert on mining of minerals, I just know it is the standard argument people run to. Most, dont have a clue what they are talking about though in regards to what is taking place.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
It doesn't bother me as far as personal choice in what to drive.
Many states already have dates in place for the year that ICE cars will no longer be allowed to be sold. That day is right around the corner. Obviously. ICE cars wont disappear at that time, but the Phasing out of that technology is clearly right around the corner.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
When all 225 million registered cars are charging every night I’m sure there will not be any issues…..

Even Pollyanna in Utopia doesn’t believe this pipe dream.

By the time that is happening, there wont be any issues. in addition, you dont charge the car EVERY single night. My neighbor drive about 34 miles round trip to work and back. Her tesla has about 300 mile range. She needs to charge about every 5th night.

Do you go to the gas pump and fill up everyday?

Reid1boys

Reaction score
You can store a couple of five gallon cans of gas.
Can't do that with electricity can you?
I laugh at your claims about elec cars.

IM guessing you arent really reading up much on what is happening. Batteries are going to be mainstream in the home in the next decade. My solar panels will charge batteries, then discharge at night when charging the car. This is not that complicated.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Thinking of getting a Ford Lightning in a couple of years or so.

Thoughts?

That f150 lightning is sweet. Go watch youtube videos of the Rivian and see ACTUAL people that have driven them. They make it clear, they are heads and shoulders above any ICE truck they have ever driven.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
oh yeah?…..you won’t be laughing when you see the 2 billion windmills churning out clean non-efficient energy. Just one 2million dollar windmill with backup solar panels can power a Fleshlight for 7 minutes
You reading books from a certain University?

Jammer

Retired Air Force Guy
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
look beyond today. Chargers are going to be more prevalent than gas stations. Chargers are already at restaurants, they are going to be in shopping center parking lots, places of work, all up and down highways, and obviously the place most people will charge, right in your garage. The future is happening right in front of our faces.. most people just dont even see it happening.
I'm well aware there are more and more chargers popping up. My wife's car has a built in app that let's her know where chargers are located. Unfortunately there are a lot of idiots that park in front of a charging station without regard to where they are parking. We have a charging station installed at our house so 99% of the time worrying about a charging station is not an issue. It's during the rare times were she may have to extend her travel distance where it becomes a concern. Her battery is losing its efficiency so long drives are becoming rarer.

Status
Not open for further replies.