Electric cars

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
reminds me of those people who would never drive (insert car manufacture name) here even if they were giving them away. Only will drive a (insert car manufacturer name here).

I even knew one guy that had a truck that broke down and another friend offered to tow him with his for free and the guy refused because he did not like the brand of truck the other guy had.
So instead he paid for a towing service.

Another example I remember was a guy who said he would never buy CDs when they were starting out.
He would say that the cassette is just as good of sound quality as the CD.
I said unless you have a DAT you are not getting anywhere near the quality of the CD.
Guy would just so stubborn and set in his ways that he refused the idea.

Everyone has a choice and you are entitled to that choice.
But sometimes it is nothing more than...

Biting off their nose to spite their face due to pure stubbornness.
I know plenty of those "Only" Ford or Chevy or Mopar guys......lol

Now with CD's I was not one of those early adopters for a few reasons, first was didn't want some fad product to go the way of laser disks and Beta, second was I was working as DJ in a club and just couldn't use CD's the same way as vinyl and third just wasn't convinced about sound quality. It just seemed digital recordings that were produced on analog equipment were just missing something, missing a certain "warmth" to them.
It wasn't until a friend had me listen to Donald Fagen's The Nightfly on CD and vinyl that it really shined through. It helped that it was all digitally produced and engineered with top flight people and musicians, really showed what was capable with the technology. The Nightfly set the bar and became the poster child for digitally recorded music.

I still bought some vinyl, mostly for work, but stuff I wanted to "listen" to I started buying CD's.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I know plenty of those "Only" Ford or Chevy or Mopar guys......lol

Now with CD's I was not one of those early adopters for a few reasons, first was didn't want some fad product to go the way of laser disks and Beta, second was I was working as DJ in a club and just couldn't use CD's the same way as vinyl and third just wasn't convinced about sound quality. It just seemed digital recordings that were produced on analog equipment were just missing something, missing a certain "warmth" to them.
It wasn't until a friend had me listen to Donald Fagen's The Nightfly on CD and vinyl that it really shined through. It helped that it was all digitally produced and engineered with top flight people and musicians, really showed what was capable with the technology. The Nightfly set the bar and became the poster child for digitally recorded music.

I still bought some vinyl, mostly for work, but stuff I wanted to "listen" to I started buying CD's.

I remember when I was in the military and me and a few friends were walking down the street and someone passed by with his car stereo up and it was a new cd player in his car. We were all shocked at how clear the music was at that volume as a lot of times you would hear someone with a loud stereo and hear the hissing sound of a cassette.
Years later a buddy had a standard cassette player in his car and had it switched to CD. The bass was night and day even with stock speakers.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
I remember when I was in the military and me and a few friends were walking down the street and someone passed by with his car stereo up and it was a new cd player in his car. We were all shocked at how clear the music was at that volume as a lot of times you would hear someone with a loud stereo and hear the hissing sound of a cassette.
Years later a buddy had a standard cassette player in his car and had it switched to CD. The bass was night and day even with stock speakers.
That's true, the quality was noticeable especially against cassette tapes. It took me a while to switch from cassettes to CD in my car, it wasn't about quality but versatility, had to have my mixtapes....lol CD changers were OK but still pretty limiting, 6 disc changers were OK but still meant you had to travel with a bunch of CD's and never liked the idea of having all those CD's(read $$) sitting in the car. Personal CD recording wasn't available for awhile and when it started showing up, was still pretty pricey.

As it pertains to the original topic, that's what electric cars lack right now, versatility. Electric cars are still too pricey and just just don't fit into everybody's budgets or lifestyles. Not everybody can afford multiple vehicles for different tasks. Many people need to haul things, long distance travel or have convenient access to charging points, not to mention charge times. Right now, it just doesn't make sense for a lot of people. Hybrids may be a good bridge between the two for most people until tech and infrastructure continues to grow.

rags747

Reaction score
You can store a couple of five gallon cans of gas.
Can't do that with electricity can you?
I laugh at your claims about elec cars.
Hey Terri, you drive a Beetle convertible?

Kevinicus

Reaction score
not true at all. my wife and daughter both have chevy volt hybrids...they charge them at work and at school...not trying to impress anyone...with the mileage they put on them it works out very well.

not sure why people get triggered by electric cars...if it works for you great, if not why does it bother you?
Our tax dollars probably contributed to your wife and daughter's purchases...

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
My brother has a Tesla electric car. It's really nice. It's really quiet, and has insane acceleration. It does that so well, it would be easy to overdo it. I felt like I was in an F-14 fighter jet because that Tesla's acceleration was pulling so many Gs. I don't remember the exact stats, but it has a range of hundreds of miles and then needs about 2 hours to charge up. With a really good network of charge stations across the country, you could do a cross-country trip in it. I know I can only drive so far before I need to stop and eat and relax.

My brother is also registered to post her at CZ, though he doesn't visit as often as I do. If he happens to see this, he can comment.

Jammer

Retired Air Force Guy
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Our tax dollars probably contributed to your wife and daughter's purchases...
I'm not going to lie, but the tax credits for installing solar panels on our house played a big part of us getting them installed. I wouldn't have done it otherwise. I won't comment further for reasons.

Jay777

Reaction score
My brother has a Tesla electric car. It's really nice. It's really quiet, and has insane acceleration. It does that so well, it would be easy to overdo it. I felt like I was in an F-14 fighter jet because that Tesla's acceleration was pulling so many Gs. I don't remember the exact stats, but it has a range of hundreds of miles and then needs about 2 hours to charge up. With a really good network of charge stations across the country, you could do a cross-country trip in it. I know I can only drive so far before I need to stop and eat and relax.

My brother is also registered to post her at CZ, though he doesn't visit as often as I do. If he happens to see this, he can comment.
Thanks for filling me in on this thread. Allow me to give my input.

First, I did not buy my Tesla to save the planet. Electric cars are not going to save the environment. Before electric cars can become the predominant mode of transport, the electric grid will have to have a serious upgrade.

I bought my Tesla for purely selfish reasons:
1. Unrestricted access to California carpool lanes. This would literally save me at least 30 minutes across the Bay Bridge into San Francisco. (I only lasted two years in the Demokratik Repvblik of Kalifornia but that’s another story.)
2. Federal tax credit of $7,500 and California tax break (I forget specifics)
3. Free Supercharging. I got in on the tail end of free supercharging. I can drive anywhere and it doesn’t cost me a cent except when I choose to charge at home.
4. I had foot surgery and the regenerative braking really helped with that. Also, the autopilot really helped my feet and handled bumper-to-bumper traffic great.
5. I’m a nerd and this car is like an iPhone with wheels.

I have driven two and one half round trips from the Bay Area to the DFW area, One round trip from the DFW area to the Las Vegas area, and I have driven many round trips between the DFW area and Houston for work. I just put the 90,000th mile on my 2018 Model S the other day. The only significant costs I have incurred have been tires and when a gallon of milk exploded in my trunk, but I can’t blame Tesla for my stupidity. Brakes last over 100,000 miles because the car uses regenerative braking, which recharges the battery. You only really use the brakes to come to a complete stop or brake hard if necessary.

People often ask what would happen if there were a weather event. Most owners start every day with a full charge. People fuel their gas cars as needed so they don’t always start with full tanks. I start full every morning. Power outage? Yes, that’s a problem. I had solar and a battery in California. I haven’t installed it in Texas, yet.

I actually spent extra for full self driving when it was on sale. I can’t imagine spending $10-12,000 for it now! I did manage to qualify for the beta testing full self driving. It makes my drive so much easier! It’s not perfect yet and requires me to keep a hand on the steering wheel. Occasionally it will ghost break or do something weird but it keeps getting better all the time. It doesn’t handle city driving well, yet. Country driving is very relaxing. Rural Texas is really pretty.

As far as my range goes, I live between Fort Worth and Waco and can make it to Intercontinental Airport in Houston non-stop. But my 59-year-old bladder objects so I typically stop once or sometimes twice to stretch my legs and pee. My stops are usually no more than 15 minutes. I have had to wait for chargers before but that has only been on weekends. I guess people are out joy riding in their electric cars on the weekends.

One thing that really affected my range was when I drove through a thunderstorm. Suddenly the colder temperatures dropped my range. I was originally projecting arriving at home with 20% charge and now I was going to have to stop and recharge. After I came out of the storm, the temp warmed up and I ultimately arrived at home with about 5%.

Electric cars aren’t right for everyone. Electric cars aren’t going to save the planet. I really hate the people who think that they’re saving the world by driving electric. It’s just another car. Get off your high horse. The electric car works for me and with the extensive amount of driving that I do I’m really loving the free supercharging. My battery is still running strong. I’ve lost about 5% of it’s capacity. When the battery is worn out, I’ll gladly pay the $20,000 to replace it to keep the free supercharging, that is unless I retire first.

Don’t knock it if you haven’t tried it. You may love it. You may hate it. I love my car. My ex hated it. Things would be pretty boring if we all liked the same things. I’ve even been known to tolerate Commanders, 69ers and Steelers fans.

terra

Reaction score

First, I did not buy my Tesla to save the planet. Electric cars are not going to save the environment. Before electric cars can become the predominant mode of transport, the electric grid will have to have a serious upgrade.

1. Unrestricted access to California carpool lanes. This would literally save me at least 30 minutes across the Bay Bridge into San Francisco. (I only lasted two years in the Demokratik Repvblik of Kalifornia but that’s another story.)
3. Free Supercharging. I got in on the tail end of free supercharging. I can drive anywhere and it doesn’t cost me a cent except when I choose to charge at home.
4. I had foot surgery and the regenerative braking really helped with that. Also, the autopilot really helped my feet and handled bumper-to-bumper traffic great.

I have driven two and one half round trips from the Bay Area to the DFW area, One round trip from the DFW area to the Las Vegas area, and I have driven many round trips between the DFW area and Houston for work. I just put the 90,000th mile on my 2018 Model S the other day. The only significant costs I have incurred have been tires and when a gallon of milk exploded in my trunk, but I can’t blame Tesla for my stupidity. Brakes last over 100,000 miles because the car uses regenerative braking, which recharges the battery. You only really use the brakes to come to a complete stop or brake hard if necessary.

People often ask what would happen if there were a weather event. Most owners start every day with a full charge. People fuel their gas cars as needed so they don’t always start with full tanks. I start full every morning. Power outage? Yes, that’s a problem. I had solar and a battery in California. I haven’t installed it in Texas, yet.

I actually spent extra for full self driving when it was on sale. I can’t imagine spending $10-12,000 for it now! I did manage to qualify for the beta testing full self driving. It makes my drive so much easier! It’s not perfect yet and requires me to keep a hand on the steering wheel. Occasionally it will ghost break or do something weird but it keeps getting better all the time. It doesn’t handle city driving well, yet. Country driving is very relaxing. Rural Texas is really pretty.

As far as my range goes, I live between Fort Worth and Waco and can make it to Intercontinental Airport in Houston non-stop. But my 59-year-old bladder objects so I typically stop once or sometimes twice to stretch my legs and pee. My stops are usually no more than 15 minutes. I have had to wait for chargers before but that has only been on weekends. I guess people are out joy riding in their electric cars on the weekends.

One thing that really affected my range was when I drove through a thunderstorm. Suddenly the colder temperatures dropped my range. I was originally projecting arriving at home with 20% charge and now I was going to have to stop and recharge. After I came out of the storm, the temp warmed up and I ultimately arrived at home with about 5%.

Electric cars aren’t right for everyone. Electric cars aren’t going to save the planet. I really hate the people who think that they’re saving the world by driving electric. It’s just another car. Get off your high horse. The electric car works for me and with the extensive amount of driving that I do I’m really loving the free supercharging. My battery is still running strong. I’ve lost about 5% of it’s capacity. When the battery is worn out, I’ll gladly pay the $20,000 to replace it to keep the free supercharging, that is unless I retire first.

Don’t knock it if you haven’t tried it. You may love it. You may hate it. I love my car. My ex hated it. Things would be pretty boring if we all liked the same things. I’ve even been known to tolerate Football Team, 69ers and Steelers fans.
The reasons you give are reasonable FOR YOU. Only a tiny percentage of the driving public really apply to this.
I don't have to drive a tank to know its lousy on mileage and a real b**** to maneuver IF you don't like running over things.
Electric cars are for the few not the many.

Jay777

Reaction score
The reasons you give are reasonable FOR YOU. Only a tiny percentage of the driving public really apply to this.
I don't have to drive a tank to know its lousy on mileage and a real b**** to maneuver IF you don't like running over things.
Electric cars are for the few not the many.
That was EXACTLY my point. I like the car. You don’t have to.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score

Don’t knock it if you haven’t tried it. You may love it. You may hate it. I love my car. My ex hated it. Things would be pretty boring if we all liked the same things. I’ve even been known to tolerate Football Team, 69ers and Steelers fans.

Good stuff. Thanks for the details.

Out of curiosity, Does anyone here live up in the cold north and drive an electric car? Talking about the Michigan and Chicagos of the world, where large snow plow networks are a given, and dealing with temperatures that will even freeze propane. Always seems to be the warm states that have the most electric cars.

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
Congrats! Just picked up a Model Y Performance in March for my wife, red with white interior. You will love it. Charging at home piece of cake plus real cheap, Tesla Superchargers if on a trip super easy and fast.
We test drove a long range. Excited to feel the kick. My wife gets free charging at work, so we won’t have to charge often at home.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
Good stuff. Thanks for the details.

Out of curiosity, Does anyone here live up in the cold north and drive an electric car? Talking about the Michigan and Chicagos of the world, where large snow plow networks are a given, and dealing with temperatures that will even freeze propane. Always seems to be the warm states that have the most electric cars.
I don't drive an electric vehicle myself but I do live in that climate, on the Canadian border in Vermont.

There are ton of hybrids on the road but you only occasionally see a fully electric vehicle, and never in the winter.

DanteEXT

Reaction score
I like the look of the Tesla vehicles but I couldn't justify buying one right now even if I wanted one. The cost, no garage so no convenient home connection, and the fact that the nearest place to charge an EV is about 17 miles away at a state park.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
Can't you charge them from any outlet, albeit slowly?

SlammedZero

Reaction score
I don't know if you guys have heard of Doug DeMuro. He is a YouTube car reviewer. He has reviewed/driven tons of super and hypercars, and his reaction to the Plaid acceleration says it all. I'll time stamp it to the part of that video.

Status
Not open for further replies.