Eli Manning ...not ready for prime time!

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Sarge said:
Yes, we really blew it getting rid of Quincy Carter.

Agenda?

i took your post about the yr and a half of eli as saying he could still turn out great with the experience

i was just trying to say he could turn out to be quincy carter

RCowboyFan

Reaction score
Future 585 said:
i took your post about the yr and a half of eli as saying he could still turn out great with the experience

i was just trying to say he could turn out to be quincy carter

Lets see, Quincy had to be taught how to take a snap from Center when he came to NFL. That was least of Eli's problem.

Second, Quincy basically ran away from college, while Eli stayed at his college, and he was the main reasion for their College doing good. After Quincy left, seems like the new coach and the QB had Georgia back on top.

Third, finally, Quincy's Drug issues were not due to some racist fandom in Georgia. APparently they were always there and Cowboys and we fans got duped. Eli has no such problems, but has the enormous pressure of Being a Manning and that too in New York. Pressures are totally different.

Finally, Eli can read a defense, while Quincy could never do it in consistant basis, even in his third/fourth year. Eli's issue is that right now, his accuracy kind of stinks. But his history indicates, from college days, he is pretty accurate guy. QUincy's history proves he never was to begin with.

So, records be damned, can't even compare Quincy to Eli. Whether Eli turns out to live the hype around him is a different matter. He probably is in a no win situation, due to the way Giants got him. Especially the quote by the GM there about him being the best QB prospect he saw in last 20 years when they selected him.

burmafrd

Reaction score
Eli is no more accurate now then he was in college. Unless that changes he will NEVER be a championship QB.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
burmafrd said:
Bledsoe got to the SB once on his own, and won a AFC Champ game to get to another with the Pats. SO he can get you there. Once you get there the win is possible. The haters just don't want to admit it.

He'll also be 34 by the time next season comes around.

I don't know about you but I don't expect his skills to start improving any time soon.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
jterrell said:
But you will see alot more if you watch all the cowboys games next year... lol.
All the bagging on the guy in the world isn't gonna change that the fortunes of the team next season are tied to Bledsoe.

I didnt see too many brave proclamations that we couldn't win a SB with Bledsoe when we were 7-3.

There is one brave soul that will stand up and be counted...

JIGGYFLY

Reaction score
RCowboyFan said:
Lets see, Quincy had to be taught how to take a snap from Center when he came to NFL. That was least of Eli's problem.

Second, Quincy basically ran away from college, while Eli stayed at his
college, and he was the main reasion for their College doing good. After Quincy left, seems like the new coach and the QB had Georgia back on top.

Third, finally, Quincy's Drug issues were not due to some racist fandom in Georgia. APparently they were always there and Cowboys and we fans got duped. Eli has no such problems, but has the enormous pressure of Being a Manning and that too in New York. Pressures are totally different.

Finally, Eli can read a defense, while Quincy could never do it in consistant basis, even in his third/fourth year. Eli's issue is that right now, his accuracy kind of stinks. But his history indicates, from college days, he is pretty accurate guy. QUincy's history proves he never was to begin with.

So, records be damned, can't even compare Quincy to Eli. Whether Eli turns out to live the hype around him is a different matter. He probably is in a no win situation, due to the way Giants got him. Especially the quote by the GM there about him being the best QB prospect he saw in last 20 years when they selected him.

So he took no snaps from center in college and had to be taught in the Pros
:rolleyes: with that statement you lose all credibility would you care to comment on the problems bledsoe had with taking snaps this year maybe he needs to be taught to.

You obviously did not like Carter, but to not see the similarities between the two is comical the main knock on carter was his accuracy and in his mechanics the same things are being said about Manning and Manning has much better weapons than Carter ever did.

I do not think Carter was the answer at QB but its funny to see Manning getting all this praise and Carter get thrown under the bus when I see a lot of the same qualities in both.

RCowboyFan

Reaction score
JIGGYFLY said:
So he took no snaps from center in college and had to be taught in the Pros
:rolleyes: with that statement you lose all credibility would you care to comment on the problems bledsoe had with taking snaps this year maybe he needs to be taught to.

You obviously did not like Carter, but to not see the similarities between the two is comical the main knock on carter was his accuracy and in his mechanics the same things are being said about Manning and Manning has much better weapons than Carter ever did.

I do not think Carter was the answer at QB but its funny to see Manning getting all this praise and Carter get thrown under the bus when I see a lot of the same qualities in both.

I see another Quincy fan. I guess we all didn't see him being thought how to hold a Football in NFL properly and that he was taught how to take a snap in NFL. Alrighty then, we know what your agenda is and your credibility lies, talking about credibility, and what you see in Manning and Quincy :rolleyes:

joseephuss

Reaction score
RCowboyFan said:

A high of 62.4% and a career 60.8% completion percentage doesn't seem that impressive for a college QB.

I agree that Eli was aided in getting to the NFL by having the last name Manning. So what? It helped Jeff George get to the NFL to have a bazooka attached to his shoulders. The Manning name is just a tool. Eli used it along with other talents to get to the NFL. Now that he is in the NFL, he has to rely on those other tools to get better. Being a Manning won't help him keep his job if he continues to complete less than 53% of his passes.

I also think Eli is over hyped. He and several other players are over hyped. The media latches on to these guys and just keeps pumping them up. Instead of letting them get a few years under their belt to prove something, they just keep pumping. The media will also be quick to throw him under the bus if he does not succeed.

The Giants are in a good position. Eli has some potential to be a good NFL QB. He may not be a future Hall of Famer, but he can grow and be an important piece to the Giants. He is getting great experience for a young QB. Playoff experience is a luxury for most young QBs in the NFL. Most second year QBs may be fortunate to get some garbage playing time behind a veteran in a playoff blow out. Eli and some other young guys over the past couple of years are out there getting knocked around and learning on the run. That can be a big plus down the line for their teams.

JIGGYFLY

Reaction score
RCowboyFan said:
I see another Quincy fan. I guess we all didn't see him being thought how to hold a Football in NFL properly and that he was taught how to take a snap in NFL. Alrighty then, we know what your agenda is and your credibility lies, talking about credibility, and what you see in Manning and Quincy :rolleyes:
I am not a Quincy fan but to say someone has to be taught how to take a snap like he had no idea in the first place is assinine especially when a 13 year vet has trouble withsnaps this year, how about you coment on that.

What exactly does Manning do that is so much better than Carter I see the same impulse throws, the questionable accuracy, the poor mechanics and the same first round exit to Carolina, at least we scored when we played carolina with far less talent than the giants have.

I have no problem with Manning what I saw was a young QB struggle against a good D in the playoffs the same thing I saw with Q. Quincy ruined a golden opportunity with his inability to handle the pressure of competition but on the feild he did as much if not more than Manning did this year IMO.

RCowboyFan

Reaction score
joseephuss said:
A high of 62.4% and a career 60.8% completion percentage doesn't seem that impressive for a college QB.

I agree that Eli was aided in getting to the NFL by having the last name Manning. So what? It helped Jeff George get to the NFL to have a bazooka attached to his shoulders. The Manning name is just a tool. Eli used it along with other talents to get to the NFL. Now that he is in the NFL, he has to rely on those other tools to get better. Being a Manning won't help him keep his job if he continues to complete less than 53% of his passes.

I also think Eli is over hyped. He and several other players are over hyped. The media latches on to these guys and just keeps pumping them up. Instead of letting them get a few years under their belt to prove something, they just keep pumping. The media will also be quick to throw him under the bus if he does not succeed.

The Giants are in a good position. Eli has some potential to be a good NFL QB. He may not be a future Hall of Famer, but he can grow and be an important piece to the Giants. He is getting great experience for a young QB. Playoff experience is a luxury for most young QBs in the NFL. Most second year QBs may be fortunate to get some garbage playing time behind a veteran in a playoff blow out. Eli and some other young guys over the past couple of years are out there getting knocked around and learning on the run. That can be a big plus down the line for their teams.

Agree Completely.

joseephuss

Reaction score
RCowboyFan said:

He wasn't taught to take a snap. It was nothing about the mechanics of taking a snap with Quincy, which is what you seem to imply when you say he had to be taught to take a snap. It was about his head. He was taught to try and reign in his emotions and nervousness and wait for the snap instead of pulling out from behind center with his hands and his feet too soon. That is still not a good thing for a QB, but it is different.

Quincy's problems with taking a snap are representative of his whole game. It just moved too fast for him and when things were moving fast, Quincy made impulsive decisions. Impulsive decisions often lead to bad results. Pulling out too soon(insert joke here), not setting the feet for throws, not going through the progession of reads and forcing throws are all related to the same thing. A lot of QBs do the same thing when they start out in the NFL. The ones that succeed all say the same thing when they start playing well, the game slows down for them. The game didn't slow down enough for Quincy when he was in Dallas. It slowed a little, but not near enough to be successful.

RCowboyFan

Reaction score
JIGGYFLY said:
I am not a Quincy fan but to say someone has to be taught how to take a snap like he had no idea in the first place is assinine especially when a 13 year vet has trouble withsnaps this year, how about you coment on that.

What exactly does Manning do that is so much better than Carter I see the same impulse throws, the questionable accuracy, the poor mechanics and the same first round exit to Carolina, at least we scored when we played carolina with far less talent than the giants have.

I have no problem with Manning what I saw was a young QB struggle against a good D in the playoffs the same thing I saw with Q. Quincy ruined a golden opportunity with his inability to handle the pressure of competition but on the feild he did as much if not more than Manning did this year IMO.

Who the heck talked about Bledsoe? I have been harping that Bledsoe isn't that good.

Unless someone has been not watching Quincy Carter and his first years with Cowboys and his well known issues with holding the ball and ability to take snaps, which had to be taught by Wade Wilson and comparing that with a QB who just has issues not handling a Snap, is what I call a real asisinine comparison. Further more, not understanding the difference between how to take snaps and somone fumbling the snaps is idiotic. In one case, the QB didn't know the art of taking a snap properly, at least according to Media reports and other is the case of QB being careless with the ball.

Now that statement is what is asisnine if any. The whole thing with QB is handling pressure of competition. What Quincy faced is nothing compared to what Eli Manning faces currently. Not only does he have to live upto the hype of being a Manning and then on top of it, have to face New York media scrutiny. Quincy probably would have needed drugs just to face the media there let alone take a snap.

But I am sure, Quincy and Manning will end up being the same. :rolleyes: Oh I forget, poor Quincy was wronged and never got a fair chance :rolleyes:

kartr

Reaction score
Qwickdraw said:
TOLD YOU!

Giants = overrated

Eli = even more overrated

But don't tell HeavyHitta that. Then he'll have to retun his lifesize Eli blowup doll.

And some here wanted us to trade all of our draft picks in 2004 and 2005 to get this guy. Their comment was, 'when you have a chance to get a franchise qb, you do whatever you have to do to get one'. LOL

joseephuss

Reaction score
RCowboyFan said:
Who the heck talked about Bledsoe? I have been harping that Bledsoe isn't that good.

Unless someone has been not watching Quincy Carter and his first years with Cowboys and his well known issues with holding the ball and ability to take snaps, which had to be taught by Wade Wilson and comparing that with a QB who just has issues not handling a Snap, is what I call a real asisinine comparison. Further more, not understanding the difference between how to take snaps and somone fumbling the snaps is idiotic. In one case, the QB didn't know the art of taking a snap properly, at least according to Media reports and other is the case of QB being careless with the ball.

Now that statement is what is asisnine if any. The whole thing with QB is handling pressure of competition. What Quincy faced is nothing compared to what Eli Manning faces currently. Not only does he have to live upto the hype of being a Manning and then on top of it, have to face New York media scrutiny. Quincy probably would have needed drugs just to face the media there let alone take a snap.

But I am sure, Quincy and Manning will end up being the same. :rolleyes: Oh I forget, poor Quincy was wronged and never got a fair chance :rolleyes:

The pressure of being a Dallas Cowboy QB is probably equal to the pressure of playing in New York. Especially being the QB to follow Troy Aikman. Eli wouldn't be getting any breaks if he was in Dallas. Quincy certainly couldn't and didn't handle that pressure well.

RCowboyFan

Reaction score
joseephuss said:
He wasn't taught to take a snap. It was nothing about the mechanics of taking a snap with Quincy, which is what you seem to imply when you say he had to be taught to take a snap. It was about his head. He was taught to try and reign in his emotions and nervousness and wait for the snap instead of pulling out from behind center with his hands and his feet too soon. That is still not a good thing for a QB, but it is different.

Quincy's problems with taking a snap are representative of his whole game. It just moved too fast for him and when things were moving fast, Quincy made impulsive decisions. Impulsive decisions often lead to bad results. Pulling out too soon(insert joke here), not setting the feet for throws, not going through the progession of reads and forcing throws are all related to the same thing. A lot of QBs do the same thing when they start out in the NFL. The ones that succeed all say the same thing when they start playing well, the game slows down for them. The game didn't slow down enough for Quincy when he was in Dallas. It slowed a little, but not near enough to be successful.

And that is not what it meant by teaching him how to take a snap? Heck even a Pop-Warner kid knows how to just take a ball from the center. Its obvious Quincy who played in College knew that! Its the same thing with how to hold the properly with him. Its not like he didn't know how to hold the ball at all, but what was taught was to have him do it better and in more effective way. In many cases many College QBs have to be taught that when they come to NFL anyway, from my understanding. But Quincy was especially bad at it.

I guess, I got to be more eloborate, and say that he was taught how to take a proper snap. That probably would be more accuarate.

silver

Reaction score
burmafrd said:
Bledsoe got to the SB once on his own, and won a AFC Champ game to get to another with the Pats. SO he can get you there. Once you get there the win is possible. The haters just don't want to admit it.
he actually won 2 AFC title games. people forget brady was injured in their first super bowl run and bledsoe stepped in and won.

joseephuss

Reaction score
RCowboyFan said:
And that is not what it meant by teaching him how to take a snap? Heck even a Pop-Warner kid knows how to just take a ball from the center. Its obvious Quincy who played in College knew that! Its the same thing with how to hold the properly with him. Its not like he didn't know how to hold the ball at all, but what was taught was to have him do it better and in more effective way. In many cases many College QBs have to be taught that when they come to NFL anyway, from my understanding. But Quincy was especially bad at it.

I guess, I got to be more eloborate, and say that he was taught how to take a proper snap. That probably would be more accuarate.

It would probably be more accurate that Quincy had to be taught to stop being such a spazz. :D
Like you said, he could take a snap in college, but not his rookie year. The guy just couldn't handle the pressure. That is a descripiton of Quincy in a nut shell. Can not handle pressure.

JIGGYFLY

Reaction score
RCowboyFan said:

Does it make you feel good to label me a quincy apologist? as I stated before I hold no special feelings toward him. You keep harping on his taking a snap properly ok so what evidently he corrected that problem or he would not have started 16 games in 03.

The point is both Manning and Quincy were starting QB's on playoff teams that lost in the first round and both have some of the same ? questions about there games but you are ready to say one is much better than the other I do not see much of a difference.

Also if you think its not just as much pressure to be annointed the next starting QB of the cowboys after aikman you are trippin.