"Elimination Games" Phil Simms Whats That?

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
OK Roy then you tell us. IF we had let Tony walk just who is out there? Josh Freeman? So who are you going to spend that $100 million on? You are so sure we can do better than Tony so you tell us who to pay the money to.

I never said we can do better than Romo. I'm a Romo fan for the most part. I think he's one of the best QB's in the league.

Im just pointing out that saying if we didn't have Romo we'd simply go with Orten isn't realistic. Who we would have would have depended on when we decided we didn't want Romo, who was available that year in the draft, FA, etc.. we simply have no idea who we would have in his place. So to say our record would be "5-11" or that we'd "be doing as bad as the Packers right now" or any other statement like that are simply unprovable and incorrect.

Ratmatt

Reaction score
Did you catch what Phil Simms said? He said this "elimination game" junk is just some new stat made up to slant things a certain way. It doesnt mean anything. A meaningless embellishment is what he said. :D

Elimination games are life as the QB of the Dallas Cowboys!

birdwells1

Reaction score
~crickets~

We dont often agree but no one's letting a Brady, Brees, or Rogers get to the fa market so you'll just have 100 mill and no one to spend it on.

I think there was a poll and Orten was voted best backup in the NFL, not saying that he'd be Tony but the Cowboys have done better than other teams in closing the gap between starter and backup.

burmafrd

Reaction score
I never said we can do better than Romo. I'm a Romo fan for the most part. I think he's one of the best QB's in the league.

Im just pointing out that saying if we didn't have Romo we'd simply go with Orten isn't realistic. Who we would have would have depended on when we decided we didn't want Romo, who was available that year in the draft, FA, etc.. we simply have no idea who we would have in his place. So to say our record would be "5-11" or that we'd "be doing as bad as the Packers right now" or any other statement like that are simply unprovable and incorrect.

back peddling again I see. That "you can buy a lot with $100 million" looks pretty bad now that you have been called on it

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score

lol Ok....

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
I think there was a poll and Orten was voted best backup in the NFL, not saying that he'd be Tony but the Cowboys have done better than other teams in closing the gap between starter and backup.

I think so too, but only recently. Having a washed up Brad Johnson on the squad cost us a playoff spot in 2008. Having said that, I'm not sure Orton wouldn't be nearing that point. He was not very good at his last stop in 2011 and it's been two years since he's played regularly.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
back peddling again I see. That "you can buy a lot with $100 million" looks pretty bad now that you have been called on it

It's possible we could have drafted Russell Wilson, Tannehill or Kaepernick if we knew we weren't going to extend Romo. You can also get a QB via trade and they could've got a good pick by trading Romo. Like Roy said, it's impossible to go back and say what if.

03EBZ06

Need2Speed
Reaction score
It's possible we could have drafted Russell Wilson, Tannehill or Kaepernick if we knew we weren't going to extend Romo. You can also get a QB via trade and they could've got a good pick by trading Romo. Like Roy said, it's impossible to go back and say what if.

Anything is possible but even if we drafted Wilson, Tannehill or Kaepernick, there is no guarantee that they would be successful with Cowboys like they have been with their respective teams.

Also, trade for what franchise QB? There are only 15 or so true franchise QBs in the league and do you honestly think that any teams with franchise QB would trade their QB when there aren't enough them ? Truth is, there are shortage of franchise QBs, which is the reason why so many teams are struggling.

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score

Not backpeddling at all.. you can buy alot with 100 million. Pretending like we know who we would have looked at in the draft or FA any given year had we decided not to bring Romo back is just silly though.

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
So you say you like Romo "for the most part", huh?

Which part? When he wins? And even then, with the way you talk about him I doubt that either.

smh

I like his escapability, his pocket presence, his ability to hit different receivers to keep drives going when he's on, his willingness to take a big hit to make a play, etc..

There are alot of things i like about him as a QB.. what do i say about him that makes you think i hate him?

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
I like his escapability, his pocket presence, his ability to hit different receivers to keep drives going when he's on, his willingness to take a big hit to make a play, etc..

There are alot of things i like about him as a QB.. what do i say about him that makes you think i hate him?

Nothing, you praise him all the time. Never a bad word from you.

WPBCowboysFan

Reaction score
Well if we're being honest, it was a game against a bad team that Dallas only won by three points, coming off a bye.

It was a bad team on a 4 game winning streak. Did you hear Coughlin tonight? He said this loos to the Boys HURT. It took the wind out of their sails. It was a game they needed. They put some extra into it.

And we went into their house and crushed them by killing their season!

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
KJJ did not make up the term elimination game, but he may have coined the ultra-silly term "spotlight game"

I'm clearly the one who started the term "here" and it created a firestorm amongst FANS on this board that's been going on for 2 years. Everyone seems to blame me for coining the term "elimination game" claiming it's due to my hatred for Romo. :rolleyes: The first time I used the term "elimination game" was the week leading up to the season finale vs the Giants in 2011. I had never heard anyone in the media use the term and it's possible it got off this board due to the big stir it created here. I analyze everything about Romo's game due to the many discussions (arguments) I've had about him. The week leading up to the week 17 game vs the Giants in 2011 I mentioned that Romo has struggled in do or die/elimination type games and that his record at the time was 1-4 in elimination games. A lot of FANS took exception to the term "elimination game" and were angered that I was adding the Philly loss in week 17 of the 08 season to Romo's playoff record. What Phil Simms said during the Thanksgiving telecast that the "elimination game" stat is just being used for Romo to make his record look worse is exactly what many claimed that I was doing back in Dec of 2011.

I never used the term "elimination game" to try and make Romo's do or die record look worse. Simms said "what's an elimination game?" He should know that a playoff game is an "elimination game." Some FANS here still don't know what an "elimination game" is. An "elimination game" is where 2 teams face elimination either in a playoff game or a season finale. The team that wins advances and the team that loses doesn't play again until the next season. If Romo had a larger playoff resume I would have never even looked into his elimination game record. It's not something to try and make Romo's do or die record look worse it's to add to the number of games he and the Cowboys have faced elimination in vs opponents who've faced the same fate. QB's are judged by how they perform in elimination/playoff games. It's when there's no tomorrow that you find out what a team and a QB are made of. .

DFWJC

Reaction score
I'm clearly the one who started the term "here" and it created a firestorm amongst FANS on this board that's been going on for 2 years. Everyone seems to blame me for coining the term "elimination game" claiming it's due to my hatred for Romo. :rolleyes: The first time I used the term "elimination game" was the week leading up to the season finale vs the Giants in 2011. I had never heard anyone in the media use the term and it's possible it got off this board due to the big stir it created here. I analyze everything about Romo's game due to the many discussions (arguments) I've had about him. The week leading up to the week 17 game vs the Giants in 2011 I mentioned that Romo has struggled in do or die/elimination type games and that his record at the time was 1-4 in elimination games. A lot of FANS took exception to the term "elimination game" and were angered that I was adding the Philly loss in week 17 of the 08 season to Romo's playoff record. What Phil Simms said during the Thanksgiving telecast that the "elimination game" stat is just being used for Romo to make his record look worse is exactly what many claimed that I was doing back in Dec of 2011.

I never used the term "elimination game" to try and make Romo's do or die record look worse. Simms said "what's an elimination game?" He should know that a playoff game is an "elimination game." Some FANS here still don't know what an "elimination game" is. An "elimination game" is where 2 teams face elimination either in a playoff game or a season finale. The team that wins advances and the team that loses doesn't play again until the next season. If Romo had a larger playoff resume I would have never even looked into his total elimination game record. It's not something to try and make Romo's do or die record look worse it's to add to the number of games he and the Cowboys have faced elimination in vs opponents who've faced the same fate. QB's are judged by how they perform in elimination/playoff games. It's when there's no tomorrow that you find out what a team and a QB are made of. .

BS. You did not coin the term "elimination game".
Good grief KJJ.
You were, however, the mastermid behind that "spotlight game" term.

BTW, I'm not one that thinks you are a Romo-hater.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
BS. You did not coin the term "elimination game".
Good grief KJJ.
You were, however, the mastermid behind that "spotlight game" term.

Read my post I never said I coined the term I said I started it here on this board. Can you think of anyone on this board who used the term before I did? Every time the term is brought up here I'm the one who gets credited and blamed for it. LOL

burmafrd

Reaction score
Read my post I never said I coined the term I said I started it here on this board. Can you think of anyone on this board who used the term before I did? Every time the term is brought up here I'm the one who gets credited and blamed for it. LOL

You are a romo hater. Everyone knows it so stop trying to deny it. Just makes you look worse