Article: Elon Musk Offers To Buy Twitter

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
-If not for him 98% of the electric cars on the street wouldn't be there. He not only built Tesla, he sparked the whole industry. (Tesla)

-Made Innovations in solar power and vital battery technology. Saved a broken power grid in Australia

-Bringing Internet to rural and remote populations (Starlink)

-Working to save humanity from extinction by becoming multi-planetary (SpaceX)

-Restoring the most vital human right - freedom of speech (Twitter)

-He has raised awareness on imminent population collapse

-Articulated a practical way to save perhaps millions of lives in Ukraine and Europe.

Greatest American of the century without a doubt for anyone willing to be honest about it.
:clap:

RJ_MacReady

It's all in the reflexes
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
-If not for him 98% of the electric cars on the street wouldn't be there. He not only built Tesla, he sparked the whole industry. (Tesla)

-Made Innovations in solar power and vital battery technology. Saved a broken power grid in Australia

-Articulated a practical way to save perhaps millions of lives in Ukraine and Europe.

Greatest American of the century without a doubt for anyone willing to be honest about it.

a0d1c5612f416c91-600x338.gif

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We do NOT allow political comments and discussions on this site!

That includes commenting on and discussing political hot-topics no matter which side of the argument you support.

This thread is about Elon Musk and his purchase of Twitter only.

DoctorChicken

Reaction score

Elon has done some good things, but let’s clarify.

Elon Musk did not build Tesla. Tesla was founded in 2003 by Martin Eberhard and Marc Tarpenning. Tesla is being passed up by other automakers in both quality and technology. The build quality of their cars is pretty spotty, and they have many quality control issues.

Elon Musk did not “make innovations” in anything - scientists and engineers he hired did. All of those accomplishments you've mention were perhaps funded by him - but didn’t come from him.

I’m not even going to get started on free speech, because Elon Musk doesn’t care about free speech. His track record shows that he punishes employees for negative viewpoints, and has employees who leave sign never-expiring contracts that state they cannot “disparage Tesla, the Company’s products, or the Company’s officers, directors, employees, shareholders and agents, affiliates and subsidiaries in any manner likely to be harmful to them or their business, business reputation or personal reputation.” Musk has repeatedly sought control over what journalists, bloggers, analysts and other researchers say about his businesses, their products, and himself. Musk and Tesla have also asked reporters to sign NDAs or show story drafts to the company to obtain approvals before publishing.

Elon wouldn’t be where he is today if he didn’t have rich parents. He is intelligent, obscenely wealthy, and highly influential. But the “greatest” American of the century? Hardly. I definitely don’t look up to Elon Musk.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Elon wouldn’t be where he is today if he didn’t have rich parents. He is intelligent, obscenely wealthy, and highly influential. But the “greatest” American of the century? Hardly. I definitely don’t look up to Elon Musk.
You could say that about many of the rich people in the tech industry as the founders of Google, Facebook, etc. all had parents that were wealthy and had investor connections.

I think Elon deserves credit for bringing the EV market to consumers, but Tesla slowed their innovation process which allowed other companies to catch and surpaass them in some ways.

I think Elon's best contribution though has been through SpaceX, which has helped reduce the burden and responsibility for space travel and exploration from NASA.

I am not sure what to think about Elon buying Twitter. I posted a while back that I expected he would monetize by offering a premium subscription option, so not surprised that he is doing that.

*** removed this line because a member got upset over it ***

It took us years to create and refine the forum rules and policies for CZ and there are and will continue to be times when it is difficult to moderate grey-area posts, and that's with CZ getting a tiny amount of posts compared to that of Twitter.

Etiher way though, I am glad Elon (or someone like him) bought Twitter because Twitter really needs a visionary at the top moving that company forward again. He may not be the right person for the job, but at least someone will be trying to make it better than it is.

Last edited:

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Smart man, done some impressive things, but he has his work cut out for him on Twitter. Probably needs to stop the SNL appearing, Twitter feuding, Book writing, Celebrity lifestyle and get back to being a businessman. What made him great was he didn’t have time for bull$#!& and did what made sense no matter what the public sentiment. Being on top can always create a lot of envy so I say this carefully, but it does seem to be turning into more of a circus these days.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Doesn't look like it going to well. Funny he is blaming activists when it's been reported he fired huge amounts of employees, many of whom were responsible for their content moderation.

And the big issue I’m seeing is with him now trying to charge for things that weren’t in the past.

As the Tom Petty song says:

“all the boys upstairs wanna see, how much you’ll pay for watcha used to get for free”

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
And the big issue I’m seeing is with him now trying to charge for things that weren’t in the past.

As the Tom Petty song says:

“all the boys upstairs wanna see, how much you’ll pay for watcha used to get for free”
I remember TV being free.
Got your set and your antenna and away you go.

Now you're nickel and dimed to death.
Same is happening everywhere and this is our reality.

Just wait... the internet is going to be more and more monetized like it already is.
@Reality is sitting back, waiting for the proper moment and method to implement the design for this site itself *.

It's already started with the Award Banner and support system.
It's real now.

And we can't do without it.

*No disrespect to my main man @Reality
He's my dude and is a good guy.
Generally.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Just wait... the internet is going to be more and more monetized like it already is.
@Reality is sitting back, waiting for the proper moment and method to implement the design for this site itself *.

It's real now.

Generally.
I have never made site donations a requirement on CZ and have no plans to ever do it. Some members like to donate to help the site and they receive extra benefits for doing so, but it has always been optional.

Elon on the other hand spent $44 billion to buy Twitter, which is a large company, so I do not blame him for trying to monetize the service that millions of people use.

I would pay $8/month to get a blue checkmark next to our CZ account on Twitter, but not sure I would be willing to do that for a personal account if I used it personally (which I do not).

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
I have never made site donations a requirement on CZ and have no plans to ever do it. Some members like to donate to help the site and they receive extra benefits for doing so, but it has always been optional.

Elon on the other hand spent $44 billion to buy Twitter, which is a large company, so I do not blame him for trying to monetize the service that millions of people use.

I would pay $8/month to get a blue checkmark next to our CZ account on Twitter, but not sure I would be willing to do that for a personal account if I used it personally (which I do not).
I see through your lies!

jk

Hoofbite

Reaction score

First half I'm like, "okay, I can give him some credit".
  • He popularized electric vehicles, but certainly wasn't first to put one out. Still, he deserves credit for basically making the industry start to keep up.
  • Solar and battery technology, I'll go with that. Powerwall (also not new, but much improved over other alternative forms of storage) and roof tiles are cool. Roof is out of my price range and maybe a little impractical as a solar source chosen solely for cosmetics. People's lives won't be changed by tiles versus traditional panels located on the backside of their house where nobody can see them.
  • Starlink is cool, but I had to use satellite internet for a while in 2014. It sucked so he's definitely worthy of being noted as the guy who got it right.
  • SpaceX is my favorite project of his, but it's not saving any of us. I like the idea and the videos are really cool, but that's about it. Having an idea and making it work are two entirely different things. The intended outcome is so far away, I wouldn't even call it an idea at this point. It's more of a dream.
2nd half I'm like, "okay, now we're stretching it".
  • He's done nothing regarding freedom of speech. Aside from the various obvious reasons lets just look at the practicality of that statement. It's been a week. He probably hasn't even fully furnished his office yet, and the only thing that has changed so far is the number of Twitter employees. How free is his "pay-to-play" verification status going to be?
  • Population collapse is one where I wonder what his solution is. The population growth is projected to slow down, but it's still on the positive side. What would he like to do about it? Force procreation?
  • His Ukraine stance is basically, "give Russia what they want". Giving in to dictators is not a practical way to solve anything. The most practical way is for Russia to just go home because they don't have any standing to be in Ukraine in the first place.
When you say " greatest American of the century", are you just talking about since 2000 or literally the last 100 years?

Hoofbite

Reaction score

It's real now.

Generally.

TV is still free. You can still get an antenna.

csirl

Reaction score
I see he's laying off a large number of staff - loads were told they are being made redundant over the past couple of days.

Robbieac

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I wish I had that much free time to waste to make up dumb (not funny) crap all day long.

Robbieac

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Elon Musk fired this guy for correcting him

Free speech at its best!

Maybe you’ve never had a real job.

It’s not professional to openly undermine your boss, especially in a national manner. There are avenues to let your superiors know they are mistaken without throwing them under the bus.

Just about anyone in any industry would risk getting fired over something handled that way. Free speech doesn’t mean you can trash your boss without repercussions.

But don’t let me stop the “Elon Musk Bad Man” ranting.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Maybe you’ve never had a real job.

It’s not professional to openly undermine your boss, especially in a national manner. There are avenues to let your superiors know they are mistaken without throwing them under the bus.

Just about anyone in any industry would risk getting fired over something handled that way. Free speech doesn’t mean you can trash your boss without repercussions.

But don’t let me stop the “Elon Musk Bad Man” ranting.

Sure, but he was probably figuring he was on the chopping block anyway. He basically just expedited his severance package and put out one hell of a resume in about 90 characters.

As for those other avenues, telling his boss privately they are completely wrong about a public statement they made would likely have resulted in the same outcome. If his comment is true then Elon's is patently false which is otherwise known as a "lie", and it probably would have been taken as such. Try calling your boss a liar in any context or setting and see how that goes.

That guy was done. That tweet was basically a way to resign and keep the severance package.