Elon Musk says AI will take all our jobs

Praxit

Reaction score
....how convenient for him to say. What about the other 7 billion that need jobs?

Scoop here: MUSK

Quickdraw

Reaction score
AI is being developed way too fast. Those developing it have no idea its potential and whether it'll be good, or do harm. We're walking on thin ice with this technology.

I'm all for advancement but slow it down and knows its weights and measures first.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
technically he is correct. When AI is fully developed.
Corporations won’t think twice about axing their workforce for a non-complaining, no breaks, high productivity robot…. Whether it be the assembly line or your accountant. Time to stop blaming the scapegoats the politicians want you to go after and realize the true reality.

gtb1943

Reaction score
Corporations won’t think twice about axing their workforce for a non-complaining, no breaks, high productivity robot…. Whether it be the assembly line or your accountant. Time to stop blaming the scapegoats the politicians want you to go after and realize the true reality.

Creeper

Reaction score
AI will only take the jobs we allow it to take. And we are a long way from that happening. I just don't think there is anywhere near enough trust in AI at this point, and that's because we are learning that AI right now is really a reflection of it's creators - which is not always good.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
AI will only take the jobs we allow it to take. And we are a long way from that happening. I just don't think there is anywhere near enough trust in AI at this point, and that's because we are learning that AI right now is really a reflection of it's creators - which is not always good.
Unfortunately, I think it’s going to be quite the opposite. The bottomline is business and business is about profits. The second companies are able to implement AI to provide customer service type functions they will replace the humans doing those jobs. Companies can reduce staff, reduce the costs associated with providing benefits, reduce office space (leasing), training, et cetera.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
If that's the case, the entire global economy will collapse with consumers unable to purchase goods and services due to lack of income from being replaced by IOIOOOIOIOOO.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
If that's the case, the entire global economy will collapse with consumers unable to purchase goods and services due to lack of income from being replaced by IOIOOOIOIOOO.
No worries, we can all be like the fat people on that movie Wall-E. Let the robots run it all and pass the time with our VR devices. Until they gain consciousness and realize they can do a better job running the world.

0*oq2FsYbXb8H4BBWY.jpg

Quickdraw

Reaction score
Unfortunately, I think it’s going to be quite the opposite. The bottomline is business and business is about profits. The second companies are able to implement AI to provide customer service type functions they will replace the humans doing those jobs. Companies can reduce staff, reduce the costs associated with providing benefits, reduce office space (leasing), training, et cetera.
This is exactly what happened in the early 80's with telephone operators. They were replaced by automation. From there, every company started doing away with people answering the phone.

The same is true for kiosks, and self-checkout registers that we're seeing more of.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
This is exactly what happened in the early 80's with telephone operators. They were replaced by automation. From there, every company started doing away with people answering the phone.

The same is true for kiosks, and self-checkout registers that we're seeing more of.
…toll takers too. There’s some well known toll bridges in the Bay Area that connect the east bay to the Peninsula, and all the long time recognizable workers that staffed the toll booths have been replaced by automation.

Ai is 10,000x more powerful and continues learning. People think about Doomsday scenarios with AI (ex. going rogue and launching nuclear missiles, etc.), but it’s far more likely to have an impact globally on economies.

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
AI is being developed way too fast. Those developing it have no idea its potential and whether it'll be good, or do harm. We're walking on thin ice with this technology.

I'm all for advancement but slow it down and knows its weights and measures first.
It’s not real AI at this point

Creeper

Reaction score
I don't know. After spending 36 years in corporate finance I just think the egos of the CEOs are too big to give up all their minions. I can see them using AI as tools, like PCs, but not having anyone to lord over is going to take some adjustment on the part of the high and nighty. I could be wrong, but we are talking about the same people insisting their workers show up to their offices instead of working from home. These people have to have their serfs groveling at their feet.

I do see AI replacing customer services workers, telemarketers and jobs like that. they are already doing that with those annoying voice response systems.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Like any other tool, AI is neither good nor bad. Its effects depend on whoever is using it.

The worry is the ethics - or lack thereof - of those using it.

Praxit

Reaction score
Like any other tool, AI is neither good nor bad. Its effects depend on whoever is using it.

The worry is the ethics - or lack thereof - of those using it.
woah Stash, that was deep. Going to hurt us here. ;)..

Praxit

Reaction score
I don't know. After spending 36 years in corporate finance I just think the egos of the CEOs are too big to give up all their minions. I can see them using AI as tools, like PCs, but not having anyone to lord over is going to take some adjustment on the part of the high and nighty. I could be wrong, but we are talking about the same people insisting their workers show up to their offices instead of working from home. These people have to have their serfs groveling at their feet.

I do see AI replacing customer services workers, telemarketers and jobs like that. they are already doing that with those annoying voice response systems.
....yep, agree. Nothing like human connection. I think that's what will save businesses.

I rather be talking to person, then AI bot. Who is dead as door-nail.

Brings up a point. You ever use the Chat button on websight? Its almost useless because its programmed with the basics.

Sometimes our problems are deeper, so we get frustrated, I know I have. Then we have to call customer service, to talk to LIVE person.