Emmanuel Forbes at 26?

SportsGuru80

CowboysYanksLakers
Reaction score
My biggest worry he lacks elite speed, we need a corner to matchup with that type of receiver as Diggs is better served against the so call big receiver. If he runs better then expected in will certainly be in the conversation at 26, don’t think even a slow 40 time will have him dropping to 58, cannot teach those terrific ball skills. We all complain about Brown/Awuzie never locating the football when his back is to the QB, he can do it!
Uh he ran a 4.3

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
I still really like Forbes. He’s such a good player, with such good eyes and instincts. He is just very good at keeping the WR from catching the ball, which is ultimately what he’s there for.

Ex-GM Rick Speilman said he isn’t worried about his weight. When the guy that Rick was talking to said that Forbes has skinny legs, Speilman said “I don’t care. You’re not putting him at 3 tech”. He said what you have Forbes for is to put him outside, point to a WR and tell him “ You cover that guy” and that guy will not catch the ball”. Speilman also said that Forbes had the best ball skills of any corner he watched anywhere this season, and that he has excellent speed and excellent hips.

Speilman also said that he reminds him of a skinny guy that was drafted by Miami when he was there: the guys name? Sam Madison, out of Louisville. Madison was thin but ran nowhere nearly as fast as Forbes. He was a multiple pro bowl player and formed a great duo with Patrick Surtain.

Even though Madison was known as a skinny player (in a time when the league was more physical), he still played over 10 years in the NFL at a high level.

Speaking for myself, every time that I start looking at the corners that I might want Dallas to draft, I start comparing how they play to Forbes… and unless I’m watching Witherspoon, every guy suffers in comparison to Forbes. He is just such a natural corner with corner instincts and eyes. He plays the ball and the man so well, that I find myself not really wanting to draft a CB at all. I don’t really want another Chidobe Awuzie or Byron Jones that just can’t locate the ball for ****. I got so tired of watching the CB in tight coverage on the WR and the ball sneaking in for the reception anyway. Frankly, I’m done with that kind of DB.

So, I keep liking everything about Forbes and how he plays corner, and I ask myself if it really matters that he is skinny… and for the most part, the answer is no. So, I’m fine if Dallas wants to take Forbes because he’s just such a good player with such great tools and he will make the Dallas defense better from week 1. He will be an immediate problem opposite Diggs and he is going to get his hands on a lot of balls. WR’s will hate how combative and aggressive Forbes is.

He will get bigger and stronger with an NFL strength program. How much will he gain? I don’t know, and I don’t really care. That guy is going to frustrate a lot of WR’s in the NFL and I want him doing it for Dallas. Just get him in Dallas. Take him at 26, or move up with their second round pick and get him in the early second. Just get him because he will help make the Dallas defense even better.

Proof

Reaction score
I still really like Forbes. He’s such a good player, with such good eyes and instincts. He is just very good at keeping the WR from catching the ball, which is ultimately what he’s there for.

Ex-GM Rick Speilman said he isn’t worried about his weight. When the guy that Rick was talking to said that Forbes has skinny legs, Speilman said “I don’t care. You’re not putting him at 3 tech”. He said what you have Forbes for is to put him outside, point to a WR and tell him “ You cover that guy” and that guy will not catch the ball”. Speilman also said that Forbes had the best ball skills of any corner he watched anywhere this season, and that he has excellent speed and excellent hips.

Speilman also said that he reminds him of a skinny guy that was drafted by Miami when he was there: the guys name? Sam Madison, out of Louisville. Madison was thin but ran nowhere nearly as fast as Forbes. He was a multiple pro bowl player and formed a great duo with Patrick Surtain.

Even though Madison was known as a skinny player (in a time when the league was more physical), he still played over 10 years in the NFL at a high level.

Speaking for myself, every time that I start looking at the corners that I might want Dallas to draft, I start comparing how they play to Forbes… and unless I’m watching Witherspoon, every guy suffers in comparison to Forbes. He is just such a natural corner with corner instincts and eyes. He plays the ball and the man so well, that I find myself not really wanting to draft a CB at all. I don’t really want another Chidobe Awuzie or Byron Jones that just can’t locate the ball for ****. I got so tired of watching the CB in tight coverage on the WR and the ball sneaking in for the reception anyway. Frankly, I’m done with that kind of DB.

So, I keep liking everything about Forbes and how he plays corner, and I ask myself if it really matters that he is skinny… and for the most part, the answer is no. So, I’m fine if Dallas wants to take Forbes because he’s just such a good player with such great tools and he will make the Dallas defense better from week 1. He will be an immediate problem opposite Diggs and he is going to get his hands on a lot of balls. WR’s will hate how combative and aggressive Forbes is.

He will get bigger and stronger with an NFL strength program. How much will he gain? I don’t know, and I don’t really care. That guy is going to frustrate a lot of WR’s in the NFL and I want him doing it for Dallas. Just get him in Dallas. Take him at 26, or move up with their second round pick and get him in the early second. Just get him because he will help make the Dallas defense even better.
you've sold me lol. think the last guy you talked about like this was JOK

calicowboy54

Reaction score
I have seen where the Cowboys have had a formal meeting with Forbes. This is good news because the kid can play some football... I watched some of their games and he sticks out with his play ability. I know some are worried about his weight however that is of no real concern to me because he plays physical enough and mind you it was in the SEC. If he's there at 26, draft him. We need another ball hawk to pair with Diggs.
honestly he's Diggs 2.0 i personally dont want another CB that does not tackle and gives up big plays.

Weaknesses
  • Below average foot slide to match the release. == DIGGS (always getting lost on crossing routes)
  • Has issues staying in phase at break points. == DIGGS (See Above )
  • Aggressiveness makes him a double-move target. == DIGGS (Diggs will jump under routes giving up over top)
  • Needs to become more disciplined playing high to low in zone.
  • Plays out past his toes, leading to transition imbalance.
  • Grab-and-drag tackler lacking play strength. == DIGGS (Diggs tackling has been talked enough on this board)

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
honestly he's Diggs 2.0 i personally dont want another CB that does not tackle and gives up big plays.

Weaknesses
  • Below average foot slide to match the release. == DIGGS (always getting lost on crossing routes)
  • Has issues staying in phase at break points. == DIGGS (See Above )
  • Aggressiveness makes him a double-move target. == DIGGS (Diggs will jump under routes giving up over top)
  • Needs to become more disciplined playing high to low in zone.
  • Plays out past his toes, leading to transition imbalance.
  • Grab-and-drag tackler lacking play strength. == DIGGS (Diggs tackling has been talked enough on this board)
Are these weaknesses just things that you have noticed? If not… who wrote those weaknesses?

Malhavoc

Reaction score
you've sold me lol. think the last guy you talked about like this was JOK
Let me say JOK is a good player, but there were folks here who thought he was better than Parsons. That was ablsolutely insane.

Proof

Reaction score
Let me say JOK is a good player, but there were folks here who thought he was better than Parsons. That was ablsolutely insane.
yeah. i know some of it was based on where you could likely get either but silliness all the same

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
yeah. i know some of it was based on where you could likely get either but silliness all the same
There were a lot of people that wanted nothing to do with Parsons, for some reason. I know some didn’t like the off field stuff (hazing incident), and many didn’t want to spend a high pick on an off ball LB.

I liked him as long as they used him getting after the QB. I wondered if they would truly use him right… but sure enough, they have done just as I had hoped.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Quite a few people wanted Zaven Collins. What a disaster that would have been.
It would have been terrible. He just did nothing to impress. A clear case of a guy who was big and ran fast… so fans wanted him.