Emmitt: Fat Meat Isn't Greasy?

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Steve Young Insults Emmitt Smith, ESPN Insults America

Posted Nov 6th 2007 10:17AM by Michael David Smithhttp://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/category/espn/

Awful Announcing provides this clip of ESPN's Emmitt Smith, Steve Young and Stuart Scott giving their picks at last night's Steelers-Ravens game while the national anthem is being sung in the background:

Although I'm sure a lot of people were bothered that ESPN's talking heads would keep talking during "The Star-Spangled Banner," I actually think for ESPN, the bigger problem is what Smith said and how Young responded.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqbegm6R6mU

To the extent that I could understand what Smith was saying, I think he said this: "Know what Boom, the words of a good friend Isaac Holt used to say back with the Cowboys, 'I don't believe fat meat is greasy.' So disregard the seven losses that every home team has had this year. I'm going with the Steelers tonight."

Said Young: "What in the world? I don't know what that means."

It's one thing for bloggers to make fun of Smith. But when one of his own colleagues is sitting there saying he doesn't know what on earth Emmitt is talking about, that's a pretty strong indication that maybe Smith isn't the right person for the job.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
The whole thing is dumb. It's an dry analogy and as such most people have to think about it to understand it.

As for talking during the national anthem, I think it has more to do with timing then attempting to insult America. They cannot just shutdown a broadcast. :rolleyes:

Faerluna

I'm Complicated
Reaction score
I was very surprised that they were talking during the National Anthem. Tacky and disrespectful!

superpunk

Reaction score
Eh, I've had enough of the Emmitt bashing, but that was one of the worst national anthems I've ever heard. I wish they'd just drop the whole "sing the anthem pregame" tradition.

Thank goodness ESPN gave us something else to listen to.

ZeroClub

just trying to get better
Reaction score
Emmitt Smith said something genuinely interesting on the show last night. He said that Adrian Peterson should study how to fall down correctly - by studying film on Marcus Allen and _______ (I forget the other RBs' name) this offseason.

It was a cool moment. It was the first time this season that Smith said something that struck me as particularly noteworthy / insightful.

Steve Young was very supportive of Smith's comment ... and backed it up immediately.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
superpunk;1749009 said:
I wish they'd just drop the whole "sing the anthem pregame" tradition.

Thank goodness ESPN gave us something else to listen to.

Why do you hate America so much?

AbeBeta

Reaction score
ZeroClub;1749015 said:
It was a cool moment. It was the first time this season that Smith said something that struck me as particularly noteworthy / insightful.

This is week 9 right?

More than half a season to add some insight. He's on pace to make TWO insightful comment this year!

sacase

Reaction score
IT was easy to understand what Emmitt meant when he said fat meat isn't greasy if you have half a brain.

superpunk

Reaction score
abersonc;1749018 said:
Why do you hate America so much?

It deflowered my sister.

I could just do without the national anthem to start sporting events. Is it a political rally, or a game? Are they going to start having child-pageant winners sing the anthem before I watch a movie? Will we have to do the pledge of allegiance before we get our value meal from Wendy's?

I could just do without it. I don't see the necessity for nationalism at a sporting event.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
superpunk;1749023 said:
It deflowered my sister.

I could just do without the national anthem to start sporting events. Is it a political rally, or a game? Are they going to start having child-pageant winners sing the anthem before I watch a movie? Will we have to do the pledge of allegiance before we get our value meal from Wendy's?

I could just do without it. I don't see the necessity for nationalism at a sporting event.

I do, burn in hell.

That is all. :laugh2:

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Faerluna;1749002 said:
I was very surprised that they were talking during the National Anthem. Tacky and disrespectful!

With all due respect, I have long thought that bringing nationalism and religion into a venue -- a venue and game that is all about money and professional athletes trained to outmuscle the other -- is disrespectful to those two institutions.

In the right venue, honoring our flag and country is appropriate and heartfelt.

But bringing nationalism and religion into the beer-bathed Coloseum, that is like praying and honoring Rome before tossing the christians to the lions.

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
Emmitt Smith is horrible and it is very evident that Steve Young is extremly annoyed by him.

I tune in to watch ESPN NFL segments just to see what he will say next.

- Mike G.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
sacase;1749022 said:
IT was easy to understand what Emmitt meant when he said fat meat isn't greasy if you have half a brain.

OK! I have less than half a brain...you want to splain it to all of us imbiciles?

:confused:

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
GimmeTheBall!;1749030 said:
With all due respect, I have long thought that bringing nationalism and religion into a venue -- a venue and game that is all about money and professional athletes trained to outmuscle the other -- is disrespectful to those two institutions.

In the right venue, honoring our flag and country is appropriate and heartfelt.

But bringing nationalism and religion into the beer-bathed Coloseum, that is like praying and honoring Rome before tossing the christians to the lions.

Thats crazy talk. Nationalism has nothing to do with the game itself. The reason for singing the national anthem is a patriotic thing. You have the option of not singing along, and those who put the sport on have the option of not being patriotic. If someone doesn't like it enough not to go to the game, then don't go to the game in protest and try to get it changed.

What your saying is like telling Jewish people they can't wear their kippah's to a football/baseball games etc because a sporting event has no place for religious attire.

superpunk

Reaction score
nyc;1749056 said:
What your saying is like telling Jewish people they can't wear their kippah's to a football/baseball games etc because a sporting event has no place for religious attire.

I think if people wanted to drape themselves in a flag and sing yankee doodle in the aisle, I'd be fine with that. I'd just rather they don't invite me to stand and do the same before they begin the game.

:laugh2:

dooomsday

Reaction score
Smithisms:

"The pitcher still have to throw the curve ball. Tom Brady still have to make the catches."

"These are the two guys that's gonna take a lot of pressure off of Jason . . . Jay . . . off of the quarterback, Jason."

"It's Tank Williams, *****!"

"Reggie Bush should be touching the ball five to ten times per game." (Followed by:) "Reggie Bush is a significant threat."

"Wade Wilson is doing a great job as the coach of the Cowboys"

"It's four week now, we're in week four."

"Tedy Bruschi has anchored the middle for his 12 years in New England"

"...the Pats are a better all around golf club"

"The Dallas Cowboys are not far behind, they are a distant third, they're close but they're not quite there yet."

"They have a little bit more work to do -- a lot more work to do."

"If you want to stay perfect, you cannot go undefeated with a blemish on your record."

"It's gonna be a long fall -- a quick fall."

"The Patriots sent a strong message to both divisions."

"You will get blowed out. And if you get blowed out, it is your fault."

"Donald Driver needs to "rightsize" the ship tonight"

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
superpunk;1749063 said:
I think if people wanted to drape themselves in a flag and sing yankee doodle in the aisle, I'd be fine with that. I'd just rather they don't invite me to stand and do the same before they begin the game.

:laugh2:

I somewhat can understand that. Not many jewish people call me and ask me if I want to wear a Kippah each morning! :laugh2:

vta

The Proletariat
Reaction score
dooomsday;1749064 said:
Smithisms:

"The pitcher still have to throw the curve ball. Tom Brady still have to make the catches."

"These are the two guys that's gonna take a lot of pressure off of Jason . . . Jay . . . off of the quarterback, Jason."

"It's Tank Williams, *****!"

"Reggie Bush should be touching the ball five to ten times per game." (Followed by:) "Reggie Bush is a significant threat."

"Wade Wilson is doing a great job as the coach of the Cowboys"

"It's four week now, we're in week four."

"Tedy Bruschi has anchored the middle for his 12 years in New England"

"...the Pats are a better all around golf club"

"The Dallas Cowboys are not far behind, they are a distant third, they're close but they're not quite there yet."

"They have a little bit more work to do -- a lot more work to do."

"If you want to stay perfect, you cannot go undefeated with a blemish on your record."

"It's gonna be a long fall -- a quick fall."

"The Patriots sent a strong message to both divisions."

"You will get blowed out. And if you get blowed out, it is your fault."

"Donald Driver needs to "rightsize" the ship tonight"

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Are these for real?
Are they out of context?

Just reading them like this is killing me.
:lmao: