Emmitt: Fat Meat Isn't Greasy?

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
abersonc;1749020 said:
This is week 9 right?

More than half a season to add some insight. He's on pace to make TWO insightful comment this year!

That 2 more than.... :lmao:

SportsAnalyzer

Reaction score
theogt;1748974 said:
Steve Young Insults Emmitt Smith, ESPN Insults America

Posted Nov 6th 2007 10:17AM by Michael David Smith

Awful Announcing provides this clip of ESPN's Emmitt Smith, Steve Young and Stuart Scott giving their picks at last night's Steelers-Ravens game while the national anthem is being sung in the background:

Although I'm sure a lot of people were bothered that ESPN's talking heads would keep talking during "The Star-Spangled Banner," I actually think for ESPN, the bigger problem is what Smith said and how Young responded.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqbegm6R6mU

To the extent that I could understand what Smith was saying, I think he said this: "Know what Boom, the words of a good friend Isaac Holt used to say back with the Cowboys, 'I don't believe fat meat is greasy.' So disregard the seven losses that every home team has had this year. I'm going with the Steelers tonight."

Said Young: "What in the world? I don't know what that means."

It's one thing for bloggers to make fun of Smith. But when one of his own colleagues is sitting there saying he doesn't know what on earth Emmitt is talking about, that's a pretty strong indication that maybe Smith isn't the right person for the job.

I been saying he was wrong for the job since labor day. He is a studdering and confused idiot.

SportsAnalyzer

Reaction score
ZeroClub;1749015 said:
Emmitt Smith said something genuinely interesting on the show last night. He said that Adrian Peterson should study how to fall down correctly - by studying film on Marcus Allen and _______ (I forget the other RBs' name) this offseason.

It was a cool moment. It was the first time this season that Smith said something that struck me as particularly noteworthy / insightful.

Steve Young was very supportive of Smith's comment ... and backed it up immediately.

That's only because he was saying something he knew something about, playing running back in the NFL. Don't know why that was so surprising

SportsAnalyzer

Reaction score
Big Dakota;1749100 said:
ESPN must not watch tape because we all knew Emmitt suked last year on NFLN.

maybe they hired him because they thought he had a nice smile and was a dancing with the stars winner

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Steve Young is clearly frustrated with The Diamond.
Ordinarily, Young, one of the good guys in sports, would just laugh it off, but it must be difficult to do his job with so mich gibberish coming from his co-broadcaster.
I think the network has passed the point where it thinks Emmitt can do a good job. Now it is hoping that this modern-day Yogi Berra can be entertaining with his gibberish, and, in a way, its taking advantage of Emmitt's disadvantage with the English language.

SportsAnalyzer

Reaction score
GimmeTheBall!;1749319 said:
Steve Young is clearly frustrated with The Diamond.
Ordinarily, Young, one of the good guys in sports, would just laugh it off, but it must be difficult to do his job with so mich gibberish coming from his co-broadcaster.
I think the network has passed the point where it thinks Emmitt can do a good job. Now it is hoping that this modern-day Yogi Berra can be entertaining with his gibberish, and, in a way, it taking advantage of Emmitt's disadvantage with the English language.

I don't know that much about being a tv analyst but I'm confident one of the qualifications is being able to speak without studdering.

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
Did anyone see the one where he was breaking down a matchup between two teams that have good running games?

To paraphrase, he said, "It is going to come down to which team has the better Golf Game...I mean running game".

The video use to be on youtube but was pulled because of copyrights violation.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;1749090 said:
Yogi%20Berra%20at%20Home.jpg

Well said, Emmitt. Youze and me are like two beans in a pod.

Actually, Lab. Beans grow in pods too.

ZeroClub

just trying to get better
Reaction score
SportsAnalyzer;1749300 said:
That's only because he was saying something he knew something about, playing running back in the NFL. Don't know why that was so surprising

Having watched Emmitt on TV over the past 9 weeks or so, I was surprised to hear him (finally) make a comment that was insightful and on the mark.

----

As opposed to asking Emmitt to engage in spontaneous and quickly paced banter and observations (obviously he doesn't do this well), maybe ESPN could use Emmitt in a different way. ... like having him comment on film of various running backs - or contrasting running backs. That sort of thing.

Jaws does plenty of that sort of analysis with QBs and the passing game. Maybe Emmitt could provide some insights while breaking down / commenting on running game film.

It's worth a shot, given that the present plan isn't working out very well.

SportsAnalyzer

Reaction score
ZeroClub;1749353 said:
Having watched Emmitt on TV over the past 9 weeks or so, I was surprised to hear him (finally) make a comment that was insightful and on the mark.

----

As opposed to asking Emmitt to engage in spontaneous and quickly paced banter and observations (obviously he doesn't do this well), maybe ESPN could use Emmitt in a different way. ... like having him comment on film of various running backs - or contrasting running backs. That sort of thing.

Jaws does plenty of that sort of analysis with QBs and the passing game. Maybe Emmitt could provide some insights while breaking down / commenting on running game film.

It's worth a shot, given that the present plan isn't working out very well.

Exactly, have him talk about something you know he will be able to talk about without stuttering

Royal Laegotti

Dyin' ain't much of a livin', boy!
Reaction score
Michael David Smith is a drama queen for even bringin' this up. I mean who freakin' cares, it's no big deal! Michael David Smith get over yourself and find something relevant to write about or just do what's better, stop writing!

SportsAnalyzer

Reaction score
SuperCows5Xs;1749615 said:
Michael David Smith is a drama queen for even bringin' this up. I mean who freakin' cares, it's no big deal! Michael David Smith get over yourself and find something relevant to write about or just do what's better, stop writing!

He is bringing it up because Emmit has shown every single week he is not qualified to talk about sports on Television.

Maybe in his living room

Royal Laegotti

Reaction score
SportsAnalyzer;1749618 said:
He is bringing it up because Emmit has shown every single week he is not qualified to talk about sports on Television.

Maybe in his living room

Who cares! He's just another whiner. I'd rather listen to Emmitt and his flaws than some anti-Cowboys worm. Sure Emmitt isn't great but I don't think he's as bad as some portray him to be.

SportsAnalyzer

Reaction score
SuperCows5Xs;1749625 said:
Who cares! He's just another whiner. I'd rather listen to Emmitt and his flaws than some anti-Cowboys worm. Sure Emmitt isn't great but I don't think he's as bad as some portray him to be.

Well you need to start watching NFL Countdown and Monday Night Countdown a lot more if you feel that way

Royal Laegotti

Reaction score
SportsAnalyzer;1749628 said:
Well you need to start watching NFL Countdown and Monday Night Countdown a lot more if you feel that way

Maybe so! I can't say I get to watch them every time they come on but from what I've seen I haven't seen anything just awful that made feel embarrssed for him.

SportsAnalyzer

Reaction score
SuperCows5Xs;1749631 said:
Maybe so! I can't say I get to watch them every time they come on but from what I've seen I haven't seen anything just awful that made feel embarrssed for him.

He is a LITTLE better than he was in week 2 but still not qualified to be a studio analyst