Emmitt Smith’s Greatness

DCreppinBoysfan

Reaction score
Like Nate Newton said “ they weren’t all pro linemen until Emmitt got there”
Nate also this about the situation. Zeke was a party animal and would’ve been hanging with Nate and the boys. That’s why Zeke career is goin like this. Zeke parties a lot and didn’t take care of his body during the week like he suppose to . He said Emmitt never parties and hung out with Nate and them. That’s the difference and what Emmitt such a long career

Thomas82

Reaction score
1 of 6 players all time to win both regular season MVP and Super Bowl MVP in the same season. The other 5 players are all HOF QBs……

Criminally underrated. What more could E filthy have done in his career? Calling him anything less than the GOAT is pure hatred.
Check out these accolades:

-Only running back (since the merger) to lead the NFL in carries, rushing yards, yards from scrimmage, rushing touchdowns, and total touchdowns in the same season

-Only running back in NFL history with 4,000 carries and 500 receptions

-First running back in NFL history to score 100 rushing touchdowns in a single decade

-First player in NFL history under the age of 25 to win an MVP and Super Bowl MVP in the same season

-One of 2 players in NFL history to win MVP and a Super Bowl before the age of 25 (Patrick Mahomes)

-One of 3 running backs to win 3 rushing titles by the age of 25 (Jim Brown, Earl Campbell)

-He and Michael Irvin were the first pair of teammates to lead the NFL in rushing yards and receiving yards in the same season (1991)

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I remember watching him at Florida and was very excited when we drafted him. I knew we had gotten a very good RB but had no clue as to how good. Emmitt exceeded my wildest expectation. It was a plesure watching him through out his career.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
Jim Brown, OJ Simpson, Tony Dorsett, Earl Campbell, Eric Dickerson, Gale Sayers, Walter Payton

cant just look at total yards
You can look at every career stat associated with RB and Emmitt was better than all of the ones you listed. Go ahead. Look at rushing TDs, carries, blocking, receiving, 100 yard games, MVP award, Super Bowl and playoff numbers, 1000 yard seasons. It does not matter.

nyc-cowboy

Reaction score
Why? Emmitt was better in every way. Not a knock on Payton, but as a Cowboys fan who had the GOAT why would you choose Payton over Emmitt?
Payton could do everything Smith could, including blocking - what sets Payton apart for me in he had more "shake and bake" - potentially could turn any swing pass into 6.

TonyRomoFan2

Reaction score
-Only running back (since the merger) to lead the NFL in carries, rushing yards, yards from scrimmage, rushing touchdowns, and total touchdowns in the same season

-Only running back in NFL history with 4,000 carries and 500 receptions

-First running back in NFL history to score 100 rushing touchdowns in a single decade

-First player in NFL history under the age of 25 to win an MVP and Super Bowl MVP in the same season

-One of 2 players in NFL history to win MVP and a Super Bowl before the age of 25 (Patrick Mahomes)

-One of 3 running backs to win 3 rushing titles by the age of 25 (Jim Brown, Earl Campbell)

-He and Michael Irvin were the first pair of teammates to lead the NFL in rushing yards and receiving yards in the same season (1991)
1 more stat that is amazing….

Barry Sanders is the NFL’s all time leading rusher in terms of negative yardage. He even finished a playoff game with negative yardage.

The only time Emmitt Smith ever finished a game with negative yardage when when he played AGAINST the Dallas Cowboys….

joseephuss

Reaction score
As great as The Great Wall was, they benefit more from revisionist history than any other O-line ever. When Emmitt became a Cowboy, he ran behind 80% of the starting unit from the 1-15 team. He also won the OROY award behind that line, while another College Football Hall Of Fame running back couldn't even get 500 yards after Herschel Walker was traded. Oh, and 4 O-line starters and 7 of the 11 offensive starters on the 1992 Super Bowl team were holdovers from the 1-15 team.
I get what your saying and agree, but Paul Palmer isn't the best example. He just was not a good NFL back. He wasn't exceptional at anything. Dallas was his 3rd team in three years and he was only there for 9 games. He then couldn't make any squad after his stint with the Cowboys.

joseephuss

Reaction score
Payton could do everything Smith could, including blocking - what sets Payton apart for me in he had more "shake and bake" - potentially could turn any swing pass into 6.
I think Payton was the better receiver. He averaged almost 3 yards more per reception than Emmitt. They were similar in many ways. Both fun to watch.

Shane612

Reaction score
Emmitt's the greatest RB of all-time, and the ONLY reason people hesitate to call him that is because he was a Cowboy.

His resume speaks for itself. No other RB even comes close to what #22 accomplished.
I don't know about being the best ever.
He had the most overall rushing yards, but that doesn't necessarily make him the best.

Thomas82

Reaction score
I get what your saying and agree, but Paul Palmer isn't the best example. He just was not a good NFL back. He wasn't exceptional at anything. Dallas was his 3rd team in three years and he was only there for 9 games. He then couldn't make any squad after his stint with the Cowboys.
That's true, but I figured I would use him since people claim "anybody" could have run behind that O-line.

stilltheguru

Reaction score
Emmitt was great and I love him, but he had the Great Wall to run behind. That's way oversimplified and doesn't cover his receptions, or blocking, or toughness. Just saying that he owes a lot to years of top NFL OL.
How many of them are in the hall of fame?

Thomas82

Reaction score

1 more stat that is amazing….

Barry Sanders is the NFL’s all time leading rusher in terms of negative yardage. He even finished a playoff game with negative yardage.

The only time Emmitt Smith ever finished a game with negative yardage when when he played AGAINST the Dallas Cowboys….
He actually had 1 carry for -3 yards against the Bears that year, which was his first game back from the injury he suffered against us. But your point is definitely still valid.

StarChamber_33

Reaction score

I think what made Emmitt great was far beyond physicality. His heart, determination & drive to be the best running back of all times is what made him strive for more.. He wasn't the biggest or the fastest, so he had to focus on the "details" like taking care of himself and preserving his body by trying to avoid hits and collisions as much as possible.. What I remember the most about Emmitt was his performances in big games. His game against the Giants with a separated shoulder in 1993 - he rushed for 168 yards and had a total of 229 yards rush/rec., and did most of it with one arm. We won that game in O.T. 16-13; The win earned us the NFC East championship and propelled us to another Super Bowl win. Emmitt's quote after that game defines what made him great : "I have a heart as big as the world". enough said.. THE MOST IMPORTANT PLAYER OF OUR 90's DYNASTY ERA:bow:

StarChamber_33

Reaction score
Emmitt is the only running back in the ENTIRE HISTORY of football to be his state's all-time leading rusher in high school, school's all-time leading rusher in college, and the NFL's all-time leading rusher.
Wow, if that is true, this is one of the greatest stats in the history of sports. Well done Thomas82..

Nav22

Reaction score
I don't know about being the best ever.
He had the most overall rushing yards, but that doesn't necessarily make him the best.
Name another RB whose overall career resume is on Emmitt's level.

Shane612

Reaction score
Name another RB whose overall career resume is on Emmitt's level.
Berry Sanders.
No championship, but he and Emmitt were rivals, and some would give Sanders the nod for being the better RB. Sanders was playing for the lowly Lions. Emmitt had the team of the decade, and probably the best online ever for number of years.
Sanders retired while still in his prime.
Some still say Jim Brown is the best ever...
I don't know if you can properly compare players from different eras.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Berry Sanders.
No championship, but he and Emmitt were rivals, and some would give Sanders the nod for being the better RB. Sanders was playing for the lowly Lions. Emmitt had the team of the decade, and probably the best online ever for number of years.
Sanders retired while still in his prime.
Some still say Jim Brown is the best ever...
I don't know if you can properly compare players from different eras.
I think Sanders was the best pure runner, Emmitt the best all around RB