Emmitt Smith’s Greatness

Nav22

Reaction score
Berry Sanders.
No championship, but he and Emmitt were rivals, and some would give Sanders the nod for being the better RB. Sanders was playing for the lowly Lions. Emmitt had the team of the decade, and probably the best online ever for number of years.
Sanders retired while still in his prime.
Some still say Jim Brown is the best ever...
I don't know if you can properly compare players from different eras.
The fact that you needed to roll out the "better team" excuses tells me that you know Barry's resume doesn't actually compare to Emmitt's.

The "best OL ever" magically sucked any time Emmitt was out, like the first 2 games of the 1993 season... we started 0-2 without Emmitt, then he comes back, we go on a tear and win the Super Bowl while he won NFL MVP and SB MVP.

Emmitt had way more yards and touchdowns and performed when it mattered. Barry never did squat in the playoffs. Funny how the "best RB ever" couldn't elevate his team.

Notice how Jerry Rice isn't punished for playing on great teams and winning Super Bowls? That's reserved only for Emmitt Smith, because Emmitt was a Cowboy and Jerry wasn't. Jerry's considered the GOAT WR without question, Emmitt's success is dismissed almost entirely.
:laugh:

Shane612

Reaction score
The fact that you needed to roll out the "better team" excuses tells me that you know Barry's resume doesn't actually compare to Emmitt's.

The "best OL ever" magically sucked any time Emmitt was out, like the first 2 games of the 1993 season... we started 0-2 without Emmitt, then he comes back, we go on a tear and win the Super Bowl while he won NFL MVP and SB MVP.

Emmitt had way more yards and touchdowns and performed when it mattered. Barry never did squat in the playoffs. Funny how the "best RB ever" couldn't elevate his team.

Notice how Jerry Rice isn't punished for playing on great teams and winning Super Bowls? That's reserved only for Emmitt Smith, because Emmitt was a Cowboy and Jerry wasn't. Jerry's considered the GOAT WR without question, Emmitt's success is dismissed almost entirely.
Emmitt didn't do it himself.
Stop the pity talk. No one is dismissing E.Smith. he had a great career on a great team.
Dallas was the dominant team in the 90s.
Detroit was a mess. Yet Sanders still amassed over 15,000 yards. Emmitt had the QB, couple of great receivers, solid TE and all around much better team than Sanders.
Put Sanders on the cowboys in that era, Sanders probably would have had 19,000+ total yards, easy. He was that much better RB than Emmitt.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Emmitt was special. Most people will probably never truly appreciate how special he was.. One of the reasons was his style of play. It was never flashy.. always smooth.. never looked to be in a hurry. He made it look too easy. So people often concluded that it was. So many times he could set blocks up one side and then cut it back as soon as the defense was out of position and the layperson would see the gaping hole and conclude it was great blocking that got him there. When in fact it was Emmitt's vision, cutting ability and acceleration that created that hole. People never seemed to figure out that when he he cut into that big empty space not only were there no defenders there.. but there was also no blockers. It always amazed me that people somehow attributed that to blocking.

The shade towards Emmitt by some fans and a lot of the media will never stop.. it is what it is.. I appreciated him.. that's good enough for me.

stuckindc

Reaction score
I think the one that really surprises me is John Riggins. For some reason I only remember him as a between the tackles power back at a 2-3 yard per carry guy.
He was a track runner too. Had speed and could get to the edge. See iconic Super Bowl , 4th down TD run.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Payton could do everything Smith could, including blocking - what sets Payton apart for me in he had more "shake and bake" - potentially could turn any swing pass into 6.
While I would not argue too much with anyone who prefers Sweetness over Emmitt, I would simply counter that what you're describing as "shake and bake" is just a matter of running styles. Emmitt's style was much more smooth and efficient so it looked a lot less spectacular on highlight reels. That doesn't make what he did any less great.

On the ability to turn any swing pass into 6?

Payton's career long reception was 75 yards.. Emmitt's was 86.

Just sayin..

Both were amazing.. as were Brown, Simpson, Sayers, Sanders, Allen, Jackson, Kelly, Sims, Dickerson, Dorsett, Riggins, Hearst, Bettis, Gore, Johnson (John Henry, not Chris but him too), Campell, Martin, Peterson, Henry and on and on.. There have been hundreds of great backs in the history of the NFL. I tend to try and appreciate all of them for what they could do as opposed to always trying to say one was better than the others. In the right circumstance I believe any of them could have achieved more. If OJ had gotten the ball those first three years in Buffalo HE would have been the one to pass Brown first. If Marcus Allen doesn't spend three years in Al Davis' doghouse. If Billy Sims and Gale Sayers don't tear up their knees..

Bottom line is they were all great.. and I enjoyed watching them all.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
If I was building a fantasy team and able to pick from every player that I was able to watch in my time I would be fine with either Smith or Payton. Both absolute beasts at the position.

I'd love to have Sanders returning kicks for me.

stuckindc

Reaction score
I would have liked to see Bo Jackson’s career had he not suffered that rare injury. He was such a force. Power , speed , toughness

Nav22

Reaction score
Emmitt didn't do it himself.
Stop the pity talk. No one is dismissing E.Smith. he had a great career on a great team.
Dallas was the dominant team in the 90s.
Detroit was a mess. Yet Sanders still amassed over 15,000 yards. Emmitt had the QB, couple of great receivers, solid TE and all around much better team than Sanders.
Put Sanders on the cowboys in that era, Sanders probably would have had 19,000+ total yards, easy. He was that much better RB than Emmitt.
It's football, nobody "does it himself."

You can't name one other position where these excuses are used to dismiss one player's superior career over another's.

Emmitt has the records, accomplishments and the rings. Barry doesn't. Period.

Why isn't Randy Moss considered the GOAT WR over Jerry Rice? Moss has excuses too! "B-b-but if I got to play with Montana and Young..."

Shane612

Reaction score
It's football, nobody "does it himself."

You can't name one other position where these excuses are used to dismiss one player's superior career over another's.

Emmitt has the records, accomplishments and the rings. Barry doesn't. Period.

Why isn't Randy Moss considered the GOAT WR over Jerry Rice? Moss has excuses too! "B-b-but if I got to play with Montana and Young..."
I can see you're blinded by the bright blue light to see anything else.

Nav22

Reaction score
I suggest you keep your "Barry Sanders excuses" list handy next time you're trying to make him something he wasn't.

"3x Super Bowl champ IF X, Y and Z"

"All-time leading rusher IF X, Y and Z"

"2nd all-time in touchdowns IF X, Y and Z"

Godspeed!
:lmao2: :lmao2: :lmao2:

LifetimeBoysFan

Reaction score
The thing that I feel gets under recognized is the WHEN these backs played. Today’s game is slanted towards the passing attack. The rb spot was a much bigger focus compared to now. To acheive the yards and long careers they had is impressive.

Especially to do it in that era where teams focused on stopping the run.There were far fewer 300+ yd qb performances and the games were really won in the trenches. You had to be extra special to succeed consistently.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
I think Barry would have done great things in Dallas too.. but I think people are far too quick to dismiss Emmitt's greatness while trying to pump up others. Why can't we just be happy we got to enjoy both men? It doesn't matter what anybody thinks one MIGHT have done in the other's situation because it's never going to happen. I do know that if you look at Emmitt's numbers against the teams in the NFC North during his day he really kinda feasted on them. And he might have had a field day against all those gimmick defenses Barry got to face playing in the run-&-shoot .. sometimes with only one or two down linemen etc. All that wide open space to work against? Would have been fun to watch for sure.

Big_D

Reaction score
Emmitt is the GOAT. He did everything exceptionally well. Power, finesse, blocking, receiving, elusive, durable and the bigger the situation the better he was, even injured.

Last edited:

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
Diamonds and poo poo

Thank God John Wooten, Cowboys Director of Pro Personnel 1975-1991 negotiated that trade for Emmitt with Pittsburgh. Wooten also sealed the deal to trade for Tony Dorsett as Landry had doubts about his size.
The diamonds were mixed with the poo poo.

Shane612

Reaction score
I think Barry would have done great things in Dallas too.. but I think people are far too quick to dismiss Emmitt's greatness while trying to pump up others. Why can't we just be happy we got to enjoy both men? It doesn't matter what anybody thinks one MIGHT have done in the other's situation because it's never going to happen. I do know that if you look at Emmitt's numbers against the teams in the NFC North during his day he really kinda feasted on them. And he might have had a field day against all those gimmick defenses Barry got to face playing in the run-&-shoot .. sometimes with only one or two down linemen etc. All that wide open space to work against? Would have been fun to watch for sure.
Why do you believe that I'm dismissing Emmitt's accomplishments?

mrmojo

Reaction score
Emmitt was great and I love him, but he had the Great Wall to run behind. That's way oversimplified and doesn't cover his receptions, or blocking, or toughness. Just saying that he owes a lot to years of top NFL OL.
The OL wasn't always elite, go back to Emmitt first few years it was a work in progress, and even then it was for a short time.

Emmitt was the best big game back I ever saw.