Emmitt Smith’s Greatness

Thomas82

Reaction score
The fact that you needed to roll out the "better team" excuses tells me that you know Barry's resume doesn't actually compare to Emmitt's.

The "best OL ever" magically sucked any time Emmitt was out, like the first 2 games of the 1993 season... we started 0-2 without Emmitt, then he comes back, we go on a tear and win the Super Bowl while he won NFL MVP and SB MVP.

Emmitt had way more yards and touchdowns and performed when it mattered. Barry never did squat in the playoffs. Funny how the "best RB ever" couldn't elevate his team.

Notice how Jerry Rice isn't punished for playing on great teams and winning Super Bowls? That's reserved only for Emmitt Smith, because Emmitt was a Cowboy and Jerry wasn't. Jerry's considered the GOAT WR without question, Emmitt's success is dismissed almost entirely.
:laugh:
I see absolutely no lies in this post.

Thomas82

Reaction score
Since Emmitt's greatness in general and his resume get discredited, even by some Cowboys fans (not necessarily talking about anybody in here), I figured I would post basically his entire body of work here and let everybody see for themselves if you care to. Here you go:

Career Highlights And Awards:
-1986 USA Today High School Player Of The Year
-1986 Parade Magazine High School Player Of The Year
-Florida High School All-Century Team
-Florida High School Athletic Association Player Of The Century

-1987 SEC Freshman Of The Year
-1987 National Freshman Of The Year
-1989 SEC Player Of The Year
-1989 First Team All-American
-3x First Team All-SEC (1987, 1988, 1989)
-Gator Football Ring Of Honor (2006)
-College Football Hall Of Fame (2006)

-3x Super Bowl Champion (XXVII, XXVIII, XXX)
-Super Bowl XXVIII MVP
-1993 NFL MVP
-4x NFL Rushing Champion (1991-1993, 1995)
-3x NFL Rushing Touchdowns Leader (1992, 1994, 1995)
-1995 NFL Scoring Leader
-8x Pro Bowl Selection (1990-95, 1998-1999)*
-4x First Team All-Pro (1992-95)
-Second Team All-Pro (1991)
-1990 NFL Offensive Rookie Of The Year
-1993 PFWA NFL MVP
-1993 TSN NFL MVP
-1993 Miller Lite Player Of The Year
-1993 KCC NFC Offensive Player Of The Year
-1993 Bert Bell Award
-1993 Football Digest NFL Player Of The Year
-1994 TSN Sportsman Of The Year
-2x NEA NFL MVP (1991, 1992)
-5x Galloping Gobbler Award
-NFL All-Time Leading Rusher
-NFL All-Time Leading Postseason Rusher
-Monday Night Football All-Time Leading Rusher
-NFL 1990s All-Decade Team
-NFL 100th Anniversary All-Time Team
-Super Bowl 50 Golden Team (2016)
-Dallas Cowboys Ring Of Honor (2005)
-Pro Football Hall Of Fame (2010)

*He turned down an invitation to be a Pro Bowl alternate in 2000.

Here are the major Cowboys records held by Emmitt Smith at the time of his retirement:

Regular Season:
-Career Rushing Yards: 17,162
-Career Rushing Attempts: 4,052
-Career Rushing Touchdowns: 153
-Career 100-Yard Rushing Games: 76
-Career Touches: 4,538
-Career Yards From Scrimmage: 20,174
-Career Total Touchdowns: 164
-Single Season Rushing Yards: 1,773*
-Single Season Rushing Attempts: 377*
-Single Season Rushing Attempts (Rookie): 241*
-Single Season Rushing Touchdowns: 25
-Single Season 100-Yard Rushing Games: 11*
-Single Season Touches: 439*
-Single Season Touches (Rookie): 265*
-Single Season Yards From Scrimmage: 2,148*
-Single Season Total Touchdowns: 25
-Single Season Points Scored: 150
-Single Game Rushing Yards: 237*
-Single Game Rushing Attempts: 35
-Single Game Rushing Attempts (Rookie): 24*
-Single Game Rushing Touchdowns: 4
-Single Game Touches: 42
-Single Game Total Touchdowns: 4
-Single Game Points Scored: 24
-Most 1,000-Yard Rushing Seasons: 11
-Most Seasons with 1,000 Scrimmage Yards: 13
-Most Consecutive Seasons With 1,000 Scrimmage Yards: 13
-Most Consecutive 1,000-Yard Rushing Seasons: 11
-Most 1,400-Yard Rushing Seasons: 5
-Most Consecutive 1,400-Yard Rushing Seasons: 5
-Most Rushing Yards In A Single Decade: 13,963 (1990s)
-Most Rushing Attempts In A Single Decade: 3,243 (1990s)
-Most Rushing Touchdowns In A Single Decade: 136 (1990s)
-Career Receptions By A Running Back: 486
-Career Points Scored: 986

Playoffs:
-Career Rushing Yards:1,586
-Career Rushing Attempts: 349
-Career Rushing Touchdowns: 19
-Career 100-Yard Rushing Games: 7
-Career Touches: 395
-Career Yards From Scrimmage: 1,928
-Career Total Touchdowns: 21
-Single Postseason Rushing Yards: 336
-Single Postseason Rushing Attempts: 74
-Single Postseason Rushing Touchdowns: 6
-Single Postseason Touches: 84
-Single Postseason Yards From Scrimmage: 422
-Single Postseason Total Touchdowns: 6
-Single Postseason Game Rushing Attempts: 35
-Single Postseason Game Rushing Touchdowns: 3
-Single Postseason Game Touches: 37
-Single Game Total Touchdowns: 3
-Longest Run From Scrimmage: 65 yards*
-Career Postseason Points Scored: 126

Here are some NFL records held by Emmitt Smith at the time of his retirement:

NFL Records
-Career Rushing Yards: 18,355
-Career Rushing Attempts: 4,409
-Career Rushing Touchdowns: 164
-Fastest To 100 Career Rushing Touchdowns: 93 games (tied with Jim Brown)
-Most Rushing Touchdowns Under 10 Yards: 138
-Most Rushing Touchdowns From 3 Yards Or Less: 85
-Most 1,000-Yard Rushing Seasons: 11
-Most Consecutive 1,000-Yard Seasons: 11
-Most Consecutive 1,400-Yard Seasons: 5 (tied with Barry Sanders)
-Career 100-Yard Rushing Games: 78
-Most Games In A Season With A Touchdown: 15
-Most Games In A Season With A Rushing Touchdown: 15
-Most Rushing Yards After Turning 30 Years Old: 5,789*
-Most Regular Season Games Played By A Running Back: 226*
-Most Rushing Yards In A Single Decade: 13,963 (1990s)
-Most Rushing Attempts In A Single Decade: 3,243 (1990s)
-Most Seasons with 1,000 Scrimmage Yards: 14 (tied with Jerry Rice)
-Most Consecutive Seasons With 1,000 Scrimmage Yards: 13

-Career Postseason Rushing Yards: 1,586
-Career Postseason Rushing Touchdowns: 19
-Career Postseason Total Touchdowns: 21 (tied with Thurman Thomas)
-Most Consecutive Postseason Games With A Rushing Touchdown: 9
-Career Postseason 100-Yard Rushing Games: 7 (tied with Terrell Davis)

* - records that have been broken since retirement

Here are some of the countless other milestones and achievements that Emmitt Smith piled up in his career:

-Only running back in football history to be his state's all-time leading rusher in high school, school's all-time leading rusher in college, and the NFL's all-time leading rusher
-Only running back in NFL history to win a rushing title, MVP, Super Bowl, and Super Bowl MVP in the same season
-Only running back (since the merger) to lead the NFL in carries, rushing yards, yards from scrimmage, rushing touchdowns, and total touchdowns in the same season
-Only player in NFL history with a combined 5,000+ total touches in the regular season and playoffs
-Only running back in NFL history with 4,000 carries and 500 receptions
-Only running back in NFL history with 15,000+ rushing yards and 500 receptions
-Only running back in NFL history with 7,000 rushing yards and 70 rushing touchdowns by the age of 25
-Only running back in NFL history with 10,000 rushing yards and 100 rushing touchdowns by the age of 27
-First running back in NFL history to win a rushing title and Super Bowl in the same season
-First running back in NFL history to win a rushing title after missing the first 2 games of the season
-First running back in NFL history to rush for 1,400+ yards in 5 consecutive seasons
-First running back in NFL history to post back-to-back league-leading 20+ rushing touchdown seasons
-First running back in NFL history with 4,000 career carries
-First running back in NFL history to score 100 rushing touchdowns in a single decade
-First player in NFL history with 400+ touches to win a Super Bowl in that season
-First player in NFL history with 400+ touches to win a Super Bowl in multiple seasons (1992, 1995)
-First player in NFL history under the age of 25 to win an MVP and Super Bowl MVP in the same season
-One of 2 players in NFL history to win MVP and a Super Bowl before the age of 25 (Patrick Mahomes)
-One of 2 non-kickers in NFL history to score over 1,000 points in a career (Jerry Rice)
-One of 2 running backs to post consecutive league-leading 20+ rushing touchdown seasons (Priest Holmes)
-One of only 2 running backs in NFL history with 130+ rushing touchdowns in a single decade (LaDanian Tomlinson)
-One of 2 running backs with 7,000+ rushing yards and 70 rushing touchdowns in his first 5 seasons (LaDanian Tomlinson)
-One of 2 running backs with 10,000 rushing yards and 100 rushing touchdowns in his first 7 seasons (LaDanian Tomlinson)
-One of 2 running backs with 20 or more 100-yard rushing games after turning 30 (Walter Payton)
-One of 2 running backs with 1,500 postseason rushing yards (Franco Harris)
-One of 2 running backs with 1,500 rushing yards and 15 rushing touchdowns in the postseason (Franco Harris)
-One of 3 running backs to win 3 rushing titles by the age of 25 (Jim Brown, Earl Campbell)
-One of 3 running backs to score 25 or more rushing touchdowns in a season (Shaun Alexander, LaDanian Tomlinson)
-One of 3 running backs to start their careers with 7 consecutive 10-touchdown seasons (Jim Brown, LaDanian Tomlinson)
-One of 3 running backs with 8 seasons of 10+ rushing touchdowns (LaDanian Tomlinson, Adrian Peterson)
-One of 3 running backs with 100 rushing touchdowns before the age of 30 (Jim Brown, LaDanian Tomlinson)
-One of 3 players in NFL history with 21,000 scrimmage yards (Walter Payton, Jerry Rice)
-One of 4 players in NFL history with 21,000 combined yards (Walter Payton, Brian Mitchell, Jerry Rice)
-One of 4 running backs since 1932 to lead the NFL in rushing 3 seasons in a row (Steve Van Buren, Jim Bown, Earl Campbell)
-One of 4 running backs with 6,500 rushing yards and 60 touchdowns in his first 5 seasons (Eric Dickerson, LaDanian Tomlinson, Adrian Peterson)
-One of 4 running backs with 5,000+ rushing yards after turning 30 (Walter Payton, John Riggins, Frank Gore)
-One of 4 players with 100 total touchdowns before the age of 30 (Jim Brown, Randy Moss, LaDanian Tomlinson)
-One of 5 running backs with 10,000+ rushing yards in his first 7 seasons (Eric Dickerson, Barry Sanders, LaDanian Tomlinson, Adrian Peterson)
-One of 5 players with 75 total touchdowns before the age of 27 (Jim Brown, Randy Moss, LaDanian Tomlinson, Todd Gurley)
-One of 6 running backs to lead the NFL in rushing 4 times or more (Steve Van Buren, Jim Brown, OJ Simpson, Eric Dickerson, Barry Sanders)
-One of 6 players in NFL history with 10,000 rushing yards and 500 receptions in a career (Marcus Allen, Marshall Faulk, LaDanian Tomlinson, Tiki Barber, Warrick Dunn)
-One of 6 running backs with 1,000 postseason rushing yards (Franco Harris, Thurman Thomas, Tony Dorsett, Marcus Allen, Terrell Davis)
-One of 7 running backs to be recognized as the NFL's all-time leading rusher (Cliff Battles, Clarke Hinkle, Steve Van Buren, Joe Perry, Jim Brown, Walter Payton)
-Was a top 10 rusher in the NFL in 9 of his first 10 seasons
-Had the most rushing yards in the 1990s decade (13,963)
-He and Michael Irvin were the first pair of teammates to lead the NFL in rushing yards and receiving yards in the same season (1991)

Thomas82

Reaction score
Wow, if that is true, this is one of the greatest stats in the history of sports. Well done Thomas82..
It's definitely true. And keep in mind that none of his high school linemen got scholarship offers to a major college, 2 of his college linemen got drafted by NFL teams, but one didn't even make it out of his rookie training camp. We don't even need to rehash the situation with his pro linemen.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score

I like to call this run "The Great Escape". This run and the 99 yard TD run by Dorsett are my two favorite running plays in the regular season by Cowboys RBs.

stuckindc

Reaction score

I like to call this run "The Great Escape". This run and the 99 yard TD run by Dorsett are my two favorite running plays in the regular season by Cowboys RBs.

One of my favorites is one against Washington, when he puts a stop and start move on Darell Green and torches him. Especially after he ran down Tony D years earlier. Washing fans talked about how Green ran down TD. Until Emmitt abused him years later. Very satisfying

Thomas82

Reaction score

College highlights including 300 yard game.

Emmitt finished at Florida with 700 carries for 3,928 yards and 36 touchdowns. He left as the school's all-time leading rusher and held 58 school records in his 3 seasons as a Gator. He was also a 3-time All-American, as well as a 3-time All-SEC selection. Emmitt was also a top 5 all-time SEC rusher by the time he left college. Every runner ahead of him on the list played in more games than he did. These were the top 5 all-time SEC rushers after the 1989 season:

Herschel Walker (Georgia) - 5,269 yards in 33 games
Bo Jackson (Auburn) - 4,303 yards in 38 games
Dalton Hilliard (LSU) - 4,050 yards in 44 games
Charles Alexander (LSU) - 4,035 yards in 44 games
Emmitt Smith (Florida) - 3,928 yards in 31 games

Emmitt's college numbers are even more impressive when you take into account that......

*He only played 3 seasons.
*His offensive coordinator wanted to use him as a decoy for his sophomore season.
*He had 3 different offensive coordinators in 3 years.
*The Florida offense didn't have a single 300-yard passing game and only had 1 100-yard receiving game in Emmitt's 3 years.

ThatJerryKid

cowboys31
Reaction score
Trash?.....who would that be on those Super Bowl teams? As valuable as Emmitt was, he certainily wasn't alone in performance.
Really? You have no idea what this comment means? Are you even a die hard Cowboys fan or just part time?

eromeopolk

Reaction score
When you use the true football saying that you "pass to score, run to win, and defense wins championships", Emmitt Smith was better than any RB in NFL history (3 Super Bowl Rings, 3 NFC championships, 4 consecutive NFC Championship game appearances, 6 NFC East Championships, and 8 playoff appearances in his 13 years as a Dallas Cowboy. Only Ezekiel Elliott was his equal in pass protection and pass receptions during their primes making Emmitt the prototype of the "complete RB". Jim Brown and Sanders would not block, and Eric the Great was not prominent in the passing game.

He was only stopped by Jerry Dumbo GM Jones, and as Head Coach, Dave Campo the Clown's 3 consecutive 5-11 seasons which he rushed for 3,199 yds, 17 rushing TDs, 3.95 yds per carry.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Why do you believe that I'm dismissing Emmitt's accomplishments?
I don't believe I mentioned any names, unless your name is "people," but only the hit dawg holla as they say. I just think people who watched Barry dance around and create all those highlights conveniently forget that he lost over 2500 yards in his career. Meaning that if he had just hit the damn hole he would have finished with just as many yards as Emmitt finished with. Maybe more. He was so untrustworthy in short yardage multiple coaches simply took him out of the game on the goal line because they didn't want to risk losing yards and blowing their scoring chances. The biggest reason I don't believe Barry would have accomplished as much as Emmitt did in Dallas is simple.. He didn't want to. It was not important enough to him to give as much to the game as Emmitt did. I don't believe he would have played on a separated shoulder in 1993. I don't think he would have finished the Super Bowl against the Steelers after having 330 pounds of Larry Allen roll up on his knee in the first half. What made Emmitt special was more than his physical gifts. He had plenty of that but what set him apart was his football IQ, his toughness and his will to win. I'm fine with people having other "favorites." But no back who ever played was "hands down better than Emmitt Smith." You can put guys in his class.. but there is no class of backs that goes any higher than him. Period.

People carry on about "The Great Wall" as if any back would have run for 18000 yards behind it. The line that blocked for Emmitt's first two rushing titles consisted of:

Mark Tuinei - UDFA converted DE
Kevin Gogan - 8th round guard
Mark Stepnoski - 3rd rounder
John Gesek - 10th rounder
Nate Newton - UDFA

Two undrafted free agents and two guys who would have been undrafted in the modern draft that only goes 7 rounds deep. And they were all (except Gesek) there when the Cowboys' leading rusher couldn't even crack 500 yards in 1989. It's weird how they were pretty good blocking for Herschel and then trash when he was traded then became pretty good again when blocking for Emmitt. It would almost have you believe that maybe the the running back matters too. Emmitt made those guys.. not the other way around. I can't for the life of me figure out why that's so hard for so many to grasp.

Thomas82

Reaction score
I don't believe I mentioned any names, unless your name is "people," but only the hit dawg holla as they say. I just think people who watched Barry dance around and create all those highlights conveniently forget that he lost over 2500 yards in his career. Meaning that if he had just hit the damn hole he would have finished with just as many yards as Emmitt finished with. Maybe more. He was so untrustworthy in short yardage multiple coaches simply took him out of the game on the goal line because they didn't want to risk losing yards and blowing their scoring chances. The biggest reason I don't believe Barry would have accomplished as much as Emmitt did in Dallas is simple.. He didn't want to. It was not important enough to him to give as much to the game as Emmitt did. I don't believe he would have played on a separated shoulder in 1993. I don't think he would have finished the Super Bowl against the Steelers after having 330 pounds of Larry Allen roll up on his knee in the first half. What made Emmitt special was more than his physical gifts. He had plenty of that but what set him apart was his football IQ, his toughness and his will to win. I'm fine with people having other "favorites." But no back who ever played was "hands down better than Emmitt Smith." You can put guys in his class.. but there is no class of backs that goes any higher than him. Period.

People carry on about "The Great Wall" as if any back would have run for 18000 yards behind it. The line that blocked for Emmitt's first two rushing titles consisted of:

Mark Tuinei - UDFA converted DE
Kevin Gogan - 8th round guard
Mark Stepnoski - 3rd rounder
John Gesek - 10th rounder
Nate Newton - UDFA

Two undrafted free agents and two guys who would have been undrafted in the modern draft that only goes 7 rounds deep. And they were all (except Gesek) there when the Cowboys' leading rusher couldn't even crack 500 yards in 1989. It's weird how they were pretty good blocking for Herschel and then trash when he was traded then became pretty good again when blocking for Emmitt. It would almost have you believe that maybe the the running back matters too. Emmitt made those guys.. not the other way around. I can't for the life of me figure out why that's so hard for so many to grasp.
Here's a breakdown that seems rather curious to me:

Mark Tuinei: Signed with the Cowboys as an undrafted free agent in 1983, as a defensive tackle. He played both DT and offensive line in Years 3 and 4, and wasn't moved to the O-line permanently until the middle of Year 4. He didn't see his first Pro Bowl appearance until 1994, which was Year 12 for him.

Nate Newton: Signed with the Commanders as an undrafted free agent in 1983, but was cut during training camp. After that, he went to the USFL and played 2 years before the league shut down. He then signed with the Cowboys in 1986 as a free agent. He didn't make it to his first Pro Bowl until 1992.

Kevin Gogan: An 8th round pick by the Cowboys in 1987. He was in and out of the lineup, starting all 16 games in just 2 of his 7 seasons with the Cowboys. He didn't make it to a Pro Bowl until 1994, AFTER he left the Cowboys.

Mark Stepnoski: Was drafted in the 3rd round as an undersized guard by the Cowboys in 1989. He was moved to center, a position he had no prior experience at. He was selected for his first Pro Bowl in 1992.

Erik Williams: A 3rd round pick by the Cowboys in 1991. He became a starter in 1992, and then earned his first Pro Bowl in 1993. He was very impressive until he had a car accident in 1994. He still played well after that, but was never the same player.

Larry Allen: A 2nd round pick by the Cowboys in 1994. He started 10 games in his rookie season at guard and tackle, then became the starting RG in 1995 and made it to his first Pro Bowl.

Ray Donaldson: A 2nd round pick by the Colts in 1980. He was a Pro Bowler from 1986-1989 with the Colts, then missed it every year until he signed with the Cowboys in 1995. He then proceeded to make the Pro Bowl in 1995-1996 with the Cowboys at ages 37 and 38.

These are all of the offensive linemen that made it to the Pro Bowl during Emmitt Smith's tenure with the Cowboys. It's funny how in almost every case the O-lineman made the Pro Bowl after Emmitt became the running back he was blocking for, despite several of them being in the NFL years before Emmitt came along. The only one that did make the Pro Bowl prior to Emmitt had missed it for 6 straight seasons, yet made it in his only 2 years with the Cowboys despite being in his late 30's. So much for Emmitt being a product of his O-line. This actually proves the opposite.

Manster_Mash

Reaction score
Here's a breakdown that seems rather curious to me:

Mark Tuinei: Signed with the Cowboys as an undrafted free agent in 1983, as a defensive tackle. He played both DT and offensive line in Years 3 and 4, and wasn't moved to the O-line permanently until the middle of Year 4. He didn't see his first Pro Bowl appearance until 1994, which was Year 12 for him.

Nate Newton: Signed with the Commanders as an undrafted free agent in 1983, but was cut during training camp. After that, he went to the USFL and played 2 years before the league shut down. He then signed with the Cowboys in 1986 as a free agent. He didn't make it to his first Pro Bowl until 1992.

Kevin Gogan: An 8th round pick by the Cowboys in 1987. He was in and out of the lineup, starting all 16 games in just 2 of his 7 seasons with the Cowboys. He didn't make it to a Pro Bowl until 1994, AFTER he left the Cowboys.

Mark Stepnoski: Was drafted in the 3rd round as an undersized guard by the Cowboys in 1989. He was moved to center, a position he had no prior experience at. He was selected for his first Pro Bowl in 1992.

Erik Williams: A 3rd round pick by the Cowboys in 1991. He became a starter in 1992, and then earned his first Pro Bowl in 1993. He was very impressive until he had a car accident in 1994. He still played well after that, but was never the same player.

Larry Allen: A 2nd round pick by the Cowboys in 1994. He started 10 games in his rookie season at guard and tackle, then became the starting RG in 1995 and made it to his first Pro Bowl.

Ray Donaldson: A 2nd round pick by the Colts in 1980. He was a Pro Bowler from 1986-1989 with the Colts, then missed it every year until he signed with the Cowboys in 1995. He then proceeded to make the Pro Bowl in 1995-1996 with the Cowboys at ages 37 and 38.

These are all of the offensive linemen that made it to the Pro Bowl during Emmitt Smith's tenure with the Cowboys. It's funny how in almost every case the O-lineman made the Pro Bowl after Emmitt became the running back he was blocking for, despite several of them being in the NFL years before Emmitt came along. The only one that did make the Pro Bowl prior to Emmitt had missed it for 6 straight seasons, yet made it in his only 2 years with the Cowboys despite being in his late 30's. So much for Emmitt being a product of his O-line. This actually proves the opposite.
Great post.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
It would almost have you believe that maybe the the running back matters too. Emmitt made those guys.. not the other way around. I can't for the life of me figure out why that's so hard for so many to grasp.
If they are not Cowboys fans then the motivation is to downplay any Cowboys accomplishment. It is the same factor that has kept many well deserving HoF Cowboys from their recognition (or they had to wait till an entire generation of biased sports writers retired).

I've maintained for a long time on various internet forums the last 25 years that if Emmitt's helmet sticker were something more like a "G", "C", or a bird or cat of some kind that very few would ever dare question his status as the GOAT.

What truly boggles my mind are Cowboys fans that regurgitate the usual nonsense that underrates Emmitt.